• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railways in Pop Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
What was that video by The Chemical Brothers (I think) which had CGI of a a view from a train window with things passing by in time to the music?

Oh how I loved the Young One's :) Does anyone know where it was filmed?
The Young Ones was filmed in Redland, Bristol. The house they lived in was in Codrington Road, in an outdoor scene in one of the episodes the street name sign could be seen.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The day we caught the train - Ocean Colour Scene
Night Train - Guns and Roses
Orgasmatron by Motörhead had a train on the cover, not sure if it was the single or the album.

The Hunger Games has a train in it too.

My copy of Paul Thereaux's Kingdom by the sea has a photo of a blue and grey 125 on the sea wall between Dawlish and Teignmouth on the cover.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Well, there's always "Going Underground" by The Jam ..although I don't know whether it was actually a reference to the Tube:

"I'm going underground, (going underground)
Well the brass bands play and feet start to pound
Going underground, (going underground)
Well let the boys all sing and the boys all shout for tomorrow"

Even if it isn't this one is .... "Down In The Tube Station At Midnight", also by The Jam.

alb1

Well, there's always "Going Underground" by The Jam ..although I don't know whether it was actually a reference to the Tube:

"I'm going underground, (going underground)
Well the brass bands play and feet start to pound
Going underground, (going underground)
Well let the boys all sing and the boys all shout for tomorrow"

Even if it isn't this one is .... "Down In The Tube Station At Midnight", also by The Jam.

And either way there's always the somewhat alternative "London Underground" by Amateur Transplants :lol:

Trackman

Established Member
Madness- Waiting for the Ghost Train.
Front and rear cover has platform shots of Marylebone station with 1st gen DMU's.

satisnek

'Waterloo Sunset' has been discussed early on in this thread but I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned 'Last Of The Steam Powered Trains' from 'The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society'. Recorded in July 1968 it was surely no coincidence.

Cletus

Established Member
Porridge - St Pancras in the opening titles..

And the 1st episode of Going Straight is partly set on Fletch's return journey to London and has some footage on a platform somewhere(?).

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but the opening of the excellent 1985 BBC serial Edge of Darkness had a canvas mock - up of a 31 perched atop a pair of 0-4-0 shunters pulling a set of nuclear flasks. Filmed at the Middleton Railway as BR were none too keen on providing a real flask train for filming (or so someone once told me)

In films. James Bond "From Russia with love" shows a shot of a Black 5 (IIRC) with green coaching stock..."the Whistleblower" (no, it's about GCHQ etc.) has shots of Cheltenham station (Lansdown), and the remake of "39 steps" starring Robert Powell has sequences filmed on the Severn Valley including Victoria Bridge...

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
"The Sweeney" often had shots of South London railways - Peckham Rye in all it's rundown glory in the first one , and a persuit over loaded coal wagons in Battersea Yard.

Cletus

Established Member
There was a Rick Stein/John Betjeman programme on last night.

Haven't watched it all yet, but near there beginning there's some footage at Dawlish of a HST in an old livery and what looks like a South West Trains liveried carriage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00792l4

70014IronDuke

Established Member
'Waterloo Sunset' has been discussed early on in this thread but I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned 'Last Of The Steam Powered Trains' from 'The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society'. Recorded in July 1968 it was surely no coincidence.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? I did anyway. so i looked it up on Wiki here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_of_the_Steam-Powered_Trains

First of all, musically, it's a rehash of Smokestack Lightning - no sin in that - but the lyrics are general, not really linked to the end of steam on BR in any detailed way.

Second - according to the Wiki piece, Ray didn't actually like steam locomotives. Certanly doesn't sound like yer average kid spotter of the 60s.

Fraid i'm even more sceptical now that Ray had the slightest clue about a 4-SUB, let alone Spam Cam. No - he wrote Waterloo Sunset at a railway setting, and it appeared in 67, but it had nowt to do with the end of steam on the LSWR. Not in his mind anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.