• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rambling Roebuck... (Trip Reports)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Some stats for the year to 31st March

Mileage for March: 1545.9

Mileage for 2023 to date: 4359.6
Good numbers.

Before Covid I was averaging about 2000 per month, not seemed to get close to those dizzy heights since.
Last month I did 1321.5, bringing my year to date to 2669.6

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Originally posted in error in the red pen thread...

02/04/2022

Thought I'd go and clear a couple of winners at the SVR. I ended up with eight for the day, of eight different classes (if you count 350/1 (reasonable) and 350/2 (grotty) separately ;)

In order of scorage:

1. 3144 - the 146/1 shot to clear the Manchester Trams AGAIN finally came in on a required run from Shude Hill to Piccadilly

2. 68011. Duds to Crewe then New Street, but a walk to Moor St to look at the optional "pick up the Stourbridge Jc train at Solihull " move produced this one.

3. 172213. Changing at SBJ produced this in the formation of the Worcester Train to take me to the SVR

4. 20048, which I thought was dud, having confused it with fellow former Loughborough resident 20098 (scored years ago) :oops:

5. 09107 as booked on brakevan rides at Bewdley. Also turned out to be a sight score once I'd checked what it used to be.

6. 0-6-0PT 7714, as booked on the SVR.

7. 350123, completely wasted on the Walsall to Wolves via the Stupid Route local which picked me up at Smeggy Galtonsbrucke on the way home.

8. 350261, on a longer distance train to Liverpool (taken to Crewe, but fortunately was attached to 350371, so I could sample it without having to suffer it

Not a bad haul...

Iskra

Established Member
Originally posted in error in the red pen thread...

02/04/2022

Thought I'd go and clear a couple of winners at the SVR. I ended up with eight for the day, of eight different classes (if you count 350/1 (reasonable) and 350/2 (grotty) separately ;)

In order of scorage:

1. 3144 - the 146/1 shot to clear the Manchester Trams AGAIN finally came in on a required run from Shude Hill to Piccadilly

2. 68011. Duds to Crewe then New Street, but a walk to Moor St to look at the optional "pick up the Stourbridge Jc train at Solihull " move produced this one.

3. 172213. Changing at SBJ produced this in the formation of the Worcester Train to take me to the SVR

4. 20048, which I thought was dud, having confused it with fellow former Loughborough resident 20098 (scored years ago) :oops:

5. 09107 as booked on brakevan rides at Bewdley. Also turned out to be a sight score once I'd checked what it used to be.

6. 0-6-0PT 7714, as booked on the SVR.

7. 350123, completely wasted on the Walsall to Wolves via the Stupid Route local which picked me up at Smeggy Galtonsbrucke on the way home.

8. 350261, on a longer distance train to Liverpool (taken to Crewe, but fortunately was attached to 350371, so I could sample it without having to suffer it

Not a bad haul...
Productive day with an interesting mix of traction!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Productive day with an interesting mix of traction!
Thanks.

I originally set out with the idea of getting 09107 in (with the pannier tank as a pleasant bonus). Then struck very lucky with the tram and 68, then the 172, then checked on the 20 and realised I needed it! The 350s were icing on tha cake , an icing which is becoming rarer as I now need 18 of the 87 (so only one in four should be a winner.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Anyway, back to the planning. I have four nights booked (Friday 7th to Monday 10th) in Aberdeen. Tickets of choice will be a 4-in-8 Spirit of Scotland and FONW to get to and from Scotland and give a couple of days more locally next week.

The plan is as follows:

Friday 7th - to Aberdeen via wherever I fancy (ferry to Great Cumbrae to scratch a new island is favourite!)

Saturday 8th - Keith and Dufftown Railway plus scratching shacks/units between Montrose and Inverness.

Sunday 9th - bus ride to Milton of Crathes for a spin on the Royal Deeside Railway. If its a nice day might go and have a look at Balmoral.

Monday 10th - Speyside Gala, which advertises five winning locos ;)

Tuesday 11th - home, via Tweedbank

Wednesday 12th - might go 777/197 hunting...

Thursday 13th - might do a Cumbrian Coast/Settle and Carlisle circuit, maybe calling at Ravenglass if the RER is running....

Iskra

Established Member
Anyway, back to the planning. I have four nights booked (Friday 7th to Monday 10th) in Aberdeen. Tickets of choice will be a 4-in-8 Spirit of Scotland and FONW to get to and from Scotland and give a couple of days more locally next week.

The plan is as follows:

Friday 7th - to Aberdeen via wherever I fancy (ferry to Great Cumbrae to scratch a new island is favourite!)

Saturday 8th - Keith and Dufftown Railway plus scratching shacks/units between Montrose and Inverness.

Sunday 9th - bus ride to Milton of Crathes for a spin on the Royal Deeside Railway. If its a nice day might go and have a look at Balmoral.

Monday 10th - Speyside Gala, which advertises five winning locos ;)

Tuesday 11th - home, via Tweedbank

Wednesday 12th - might go 777/197 hunting...

Thursday 13th - might do a Cumbrian Coast/Settle and Carlisle circuit, maybe calling at Ravenglass if the RER is running....
Well that does sound a fun few days; I'm very envious! Please do report back on what you get up to :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That sounds like an epic time! I have lots of envy flowing through me too, and if I may suggest you'll have much more luck with the 197s than the 777s, the latter I'd avoid for the time being. They're just not reliable enough to head to Merseyside yet!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
An Easter Holiday - Day 1
7th April 2023 was a Pretty Good Friday

A reasonably early alarm, a check on Real Time Trains for anything interesting running and I was off on my jaunt. It was a lovely day as I walked down to Rochdale - so nice that I decided breakfast outside the tea room at Hebden Bridge was in order and jumped on tram 3135 up to the station to buy my tickets. It took so long for the booking clerk to find and print a North West Rover (4 in 8) that I did not bother even enquiring about the Spirit of Scotland, leaving it to get at Carlisle.

Fortunately, the train before the one I was aiming for was a few minutes late, so dud pair 195003+195018 took me through to Hebden Bridge, where I found the tea room was shut for Easter. I had reason to want to catch the Blackpool to York train about 45 minutes later, but I was hungry and required coffee, so baled out on 195121 to Halifax, where hot coffee and sausage bap heated to molten lava temperature were available. I decided to eat these on the York train, which duly arrived as booked behind my last required 195, the same 195116 that normally hides away between Liverpool and Warrington or on the Windermere branch!

As I had coffee and sausages to finish my half formed plan of a walk across Bradford was abandoned in favour of staying on to Leeds. Time for a PNB here, then I boarded dud-but-comfortable pair 158859+158815 for the long run through to Carlisle via Settle. And it was lovely weather, but the sun on the train was so soporific I slept from Keighley through to Ribblehead, waking for more coffee from the trolley.

From the sublime to the ridiculous at Carlisle. This station suffers by being run by Avanti and served by TransPennine, both of which companies have the same lack of care and competence. In this case it was the latter who were at fault, and my service to Edinburgh was nearly 30 minutes late, some compensation being scoring 802215 vice 397. However I was still able to do the cross platform transfer at Haymarket onto a Dundee train and double winners 170405+170415, which were taken as far as Leuchars, for a shack score (dullish island platform). Then my first McMini HST appeared with duds 43003+43138, for a run to another new shack at Arbroath.

I had half an hour here before the following service, so did a small supply raid in the cold sea mist which had replaced the sunshine at approximately Carnoustie enroute. However winners 43133+43144 were on time, and transported me competently to Aberdeen, and my accomodation.

An early night is in order, as an early start tomorrow is planned!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very varied day, but a good one too! Apart from the TP issues, but that should probably be expected with them these days!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
8th April 2023

An Easter Holiday Day 2 - 8th April 2023.
Trundling along the Whisky Line and some scratching of shacks.

I had an early night on the 7th, but was woken at 3:30 by evil seagulls shrieking at the temerity of customers leaving the night club across the road, buying kebabs and not giving them any! I eventually got back to sleep at 5, but neglected to set my alarm, woke at 9:10 and as a result found myself 3 hours behind my semi-planned schedule.

The train I now needed to catch was in 90 minutes, so after a Spoons breakfast (mediocre) I headed down to the station and boarded winner 158716 for the short run to Kintore, to scratch the shack (which didn't exist the last time I used this line) on the Inverurie local. For those who take an interest in such things, G-SAJB was spotted at the airport just after Dyce.

Running 15 minutes behind, duds 158702+158703 were on the Inverness train and, despite 702 pouring smoke out of the exhaust of its front car, deposited me safely at Keith (not a new shack - travelled here in about 1990 for a Keith FC V Rochdale pre-season friendly!)

I then walked up the hill to Keith Town station, which was a new (albeit preserved) shack and in due course joined preserved class 108 DMU pair 53628+52053 for a pleasant ride up Glen Isla to Dufftown, passing several distilleries (hence the Whisky Line name) and accompanied by the Easter Bunny, who handed out eggs to the kids on board. Both DMU cars were winners, and spotted lurking at Dufftown was ancient pacer-prototye 140001, which I don't think I'd seen before.

Back to ScotRail territory, via the Co-op for a meal deal, my next move was on winner 158704 down to Insch for a shack scratch and fester. Not much to do here, but I had my book with me and was eventually rescued by dud pair 158709+158712 to take me back one stop up the line to Huntly, another new shack.

Huntly has a fine rookery and a bridge over the River Bogie. I also scored both platforms, as my next train was late enough to be held there to cross a northbound service, so winners 43034+43134 were 25 minutes late in taking me South to another new shack at Inverurie and meant a slight rearrangement (and simplification) of my final moves of the day.

This involved a 25 minute fester before winner 158713 arrived four minutes late for the run to Dyce, the highlight of which was looking out of the window to see pioneer Class 14 D9500 parked up in the yard of an engineering works (presumably) just south of Inverurie. Nearly as bizarre as seeing D6121 in Barry scrapyard in 1979! Dyce was my final shack score of the day, with a mere 15 minutes to wait before winner 158705 appeared to run me back to Advanced Base Camp for the weekend at Aberdeen.

A decent day out, objectives achieved. As I don't need to be up particularly early tomorrow, I may check out the pub across the road...

xotGD

Established Member
I would feel a bit cheated turning up at Dufftown and not seeing a single Class 47!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite the funky little day out, ouch to the oversleep but it all worked out well :) The preserved line is one on my wishlist to do, it just seems like an interesting one. Would you recommend it?

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Easter 2023 Day 3
A Bus Trip to Royal Deeside

This was a simple, straightforward day out from Aberdeen.

It started with a lie-in, then a walk to Aberdeen Bus Station via Greggs for a sausage roll. There's an hourly service (201) to Royal Deeside on Sundays which takes about 45 minutes to get to Milton of Crathes. Here, I joined the train - three Mark 2 coaches operated in push-pull style by Barclay saddle tank #807 of 1897, the oldest operating Andrew Barclay locomotive at 125.

The reason for this mode of operation is that the line is split by a level crossing, and agreement is yet to be obtained for regular passenger services over it, although this is being worked on by the railway. Which meant that most of the stored stock at the line is not visible from the operating section - the only locos in evidence being the Barclay and 03134 (which I had seen before, on holiday in Devon in 1971, a mere 51.5 years ago!). So after a couple of round trips I had a walk along the parallel footpath.

The other stock of the railway was at the Banchory end, and included another, much younger Barclay tank engine, an unrestored Peckett tank engine and 03094 (which I'd also seen before, acting as Newcastle station pilot in 1979.) Fortunately, the two items I was looking out for were also there - required for sight 03037 and unique BEMU 79998+79999 which worked the line in the 1960s.

I then carried on walking for a couple of miles into Banchory, called in at the Morrisons cafe there for coffee and cake, then caught the bus back to Aberdeen.

A pleasant and simple day. And restful, with objectives achieved.

xotGD

Established Member
Easter 2023 Day 3
A Bus Trip to Royal Deeside

This was a simple, straightforward day out from Aberdeen.

It started with a lie-in, then a walk to Aberdeen Bus Station via Greggs for a sausage roll. There's an hourly service (201) to Royal Deeside on Sundays which takes about 45 minutes to get to Milton of Crathes. Here, I joined the train - three Mark 2 coaches operated in push-pull style by Barclay saddle tank #807 of 1897, the oldest operating Andrew Barclay locomotive at 125.

The reason for this mode of operation is that the line is split by a level crossing, and agreement is yet to be obtained for regular passenger services over it, although this is being worked on by the railway. Which meant that most of the stored stock at the line is not visible from the operating section - the only locos in evidence being the Barclay and 03134 (which I had seen before, on holiday in Devon in 1971, a mere 51.5 years ago!). So after a couple of round trips I had a walk along the parallel footpath.

The other stock of the railway was at the Banchory end, and included another, much younger Barclay tank engine, an unrestored Peckett tank engine and 03094 (which I'd also seen before, acting as Newcastle station pilot in 1979.) Fortunately, the two items I was looking out for were also there - required for sight 03037 and unique BEMU 79998+79999 which worked the line in the 1960s.

I then carried on walking for a couple of miles into Banchory, called in at the Morrisons cafe there for coffee and cake, then caught the bus back to Aberdeen.

A pleasant and simple day. And restful, with objectives achieved.
I had a work trip to that neck of the woods a few years back. Not realising that I was about to pass a preserved railway I was taken by surprise when I saw several 03s out of the window of the taxi. I managed to avoid shouting out "Dreadful! Flowerpots!", which is probably just as well as I may have been dumped on the roadside by a worried taxi driver.

I was prepared on the return journey, but the driver took a different route!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Easter Holiday Day 4
Speyside Gala

Although this day was the basis on which I planned the trip, it has the least to be said about it. Basically, I went to Aviemore via Inverness, did the gala where the required engines worked as planned and returned to Aberdeen via Perth.

170394 was scored on the run to Inverness. A mixed pair down to Aviemore was semi-winning, with dud 170403 leading winner 158717 for the run to Aviemore. A gala ticket was purchased and engines were duly ticked off in the following order:
t'n't D2774

Then I returned to Aberdeen via semi winning pair 43149 + 43151 to Perth and newly dud 170394 back to Aberdeen.

That's basically it. Although everything did roughly what it was supposed to do, it wasn't as much fun as the two previous days...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh wow, I see one of my last two 158s (717) does actually work then in Inverness! It had a fascination with Montrose local services when I was last up there.

Good news that the day went to plan, and a number of scores were had including a heavyweight 37, but a shame it wasn't as much fun as would have been hoped.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Oh wow, I see one of my last two 158s (717) does actually work then in Inverness! It had a fascination with Montrose local services when I was last up there.

Good news that the day went to plan, and a number of scores were had including a heavyweight 37, but a shame it wasn't as much fun as would have been hoped.
The day was fine, and the gala excellent. Because I'd been to the Strathspey line a couple of times before it didn't have the novelty of the previous two days. Still a pretty decent day out, though...:D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah fair enough, it wouldn't have had that 'magic' of a new route. It's a line firmly on my to-do list, one day I may be in Scotland during its operating season!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Easter Holiday Day 4
A return to the south gets interrupted…

The Bank Holidays were now over, so my rover ticket was not valid until 09:15. Therefore getting up at a civilised hour, and a walk down to the station for breakfast from Costa was in order, before joining dud 158704 on a nice run along the coast, in sunshine for once, to score the shack at Laurencekirk, a pleasant and tidy place. Ten minutes later winner 158707 appeared from the South to run me back to score the equally pleasant and tidy Portlethen. Again, ten minutes or so to wait and dud 158716 appeared to take me through to score Stonehaven, also pleasant and tidy. Three nice and tidy stations, a credit to ScotRail.

Time to head south in earnest now, and I joined duds 43032+43137 for what was to be the long run to Edinburgh. However, epiphany struck whilst in the Tropic of Montrose - I did not particularly need to go home that day, and the Travelodge at Carlisle was cheap, convenient and had a free room - so I booked a night…

Freed from the pressure of time, I relaxed with some tunes, crossed the Tay and Forth Bridges, then bailed at Haymarket in order to pick up the next winner into Waverley, which turned out to be 334001, acting as tail gunner to dud 334027 on a service from Helensburgh.

Now for probably the highlight of the day, joining dud 170450 for a run up to Tweedbank, and clearing the non-PSUL Scottish network in the process. This is a curate's egg of a line, interesting enough passing Craigentinny and scenic beyond Gorebridge, but a dull cutting for the middle bit. And Tweedbank isn't exactly interesting as a destination, although it might be if developed.

I'd worked out there were a couple of winners on the branch, so after half an hour I joined the first of these, 170427, for a run down to Eskbank to score the shack, then picked up winning 170430 to nip back to Gorebridge for another shack, finally departing back to Edinburgh on dud 170410.

Here, I had just over an hour to spare before having to head south, so I had evolved a plan involving gratuitous winners and "low hanging fruit" required shacks. This involved double winners 170393+170406 to Edinburgh Gateway (station designed by whichever architect was responsible for the rows of cloches on Gardeners World in the 70's), dud 158705 to a proper shack score at Dalmeny, equally dud 170396 across the bridge to score North Queensferry and finally winner 158729 back into Haymarket.

Due to an unexpected conjunction of planets, the TPE service to Manchester Airport was uncancelled, on time and former of winner 397008, which took me down to Carlisle and my base for the night.

A decently productive day…

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Point of pedantry: 674 isn't a heavyweight.
Point of old git pedantry: my spreadsheet includes records going back to the pre-TOPS era. Thus this particular beastie lurks in its rightful place between D6868/37168/37890 and D6870/37170/97302! ;)

xotGD

Established Member
Point of old git pedantry: my spreadsheet includes records going back to the pre-TOPS era. Thus this particular beastie lurks in its rightful place between D6868/37168/37890 and D6870/37170/97302! ;)
I had it as 37169 from Hexham to Dunston in 1985... :D

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
12/04/2023 - An Easter Holiday Day 5
Discretion is the better part of rainstorms!

As the day started from Carlisle, there were options to go in four directions. Since there was the opportunity to get both a winner and winning shack very easily I started with a run up to Gretna Green on duds 156513+156462, a fifteen minute wait and then winner 156445 back to Carlisle. I then headed south to Oxenholme on 390148, to Oxenholme which has a nice cafe on the station for a coffee and watching 66031 storm through on a freight and 90047 light engine. Then winner 397004 rolled in to take me down to Lancaster.

From here, I was planning to score tha shack at Clapham, and so boarded 158791 on the Leeds train just as the heavens opened. This ran on time to Carnforth, but was then held for 20 minutes for the train in front to clear the section. This meant I'd miss my connection at Clapham. I could have bailed at Wennington or possibly Bentham to connect back to Lancaster, but in view of the weather decided not to bother.

So I carried on right through to Leeds - passing steam locos 46115 and 45699 at Hellifield which had been responsible for the hold up. I then headed home on 158908+158910 via Dewsbury and Brighouse.

A bit of a wasted day, but I still enjoyed the long runs on the 158s and wasn't prepared to be soaked through!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Given how heavy the rain was on Wednesday here when it came down, you made the right call there. Rural stations visiting is one thing in less than good weather, but to do so in stormy conditions is beyond unwise, enough to invite oneself to a few days of a cold!

Says the fool who went on a big cycle ride last month and ended up getting soaked in some seriously heavy rain in Worcestershire!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
With me not realising that 09107 was a sight score until after the event the other week, I've had a check where the other 350hp shunters I haven't seen are located, so as not to be surprised again.

Two are at Middlesbrough docks, one at a Sutton Coldfield hire company and no less than four at various quarries in Mendipshire. Another is still on the network, based at Laira.

The rest are nominally preserved, although one is (I think) at a private site in Yorkshire. The others are at such diverse locations as Alnwick, Ludborough, Lynclys, Bodmin and the West Somerset Railway.

Best to be prepared...

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
22/04/2023 - Great Central Gala

Another Saturday, another Diesel Gala. This one was at the Great Central Railway at Loughborough (pronounced Loogabarooga if any US Speakers are reading). Like at Strathspey two weeks ago, it was basically there-and-back, sample all the engines and hopefully pick up the odd winner enroute.

The day started with dud tram 3137 up the hill to Rochdale station, and a pleasant surprise in that the TVM had been reprogrammed, and now sells rover and ranger tickets (proving that Northern, for all their faults, are by far the best TOC to be found in the North of England). So I acquired my day return to New Mills, Derbyshire Wayfarer and day return from Long Eaton to Loughborough painlessly (and saving £20 on a straightforward day return), then ambled upstairs to join 158755 for a pleasant run to Manchester, passing 09009 enroute as usual. Tram 3136 took me to Piccadilly, then a competent run with 195125 on the stopper to Sheffield, picking up the gratuitous sight score of 66797 at Hope Sidings enroute.

At Sheffield I had time to have a look at the rather nice salmon sculpture outside the station, and pick up a sausage bap and coffee from Upper Crust (reasonable, but not as good as Costa) before leaving slightly before I had to as winner 43285 was leading dud 43207 on the Cross Country train to Plymouth running 10 minutes before my London train, therefore it would have been rude not to scoop it in to Chesterfield. Here I stepped back to the London train, and another winner/dud combination with 222104 leading 222005 for an uneventful run to Loughborough Midland, passing my last required-for-sight Adelante, 180111, at Derby.

Next came the familiar walk to the GCR station, past the Bell Foundry Museum which I keep meaning to visit but still haven't, then getting a Day Rover and starting the usual shuttling up and down routine.

First up was nice winner M79900 aka Iris The Railcar down to Quorn, then the entertainingly driven 50017 "Royal Oak" back to Loughborough. Here, 45125 should have appeared to back onto the train, but a walk up to the shed indicated it was sat silently on the "naughty step" siding, so Royal Oak ran round and took me back to Quorn.

A further trip to Loughborough and back followed with D8568 starting it's grand tour of 2023 galas in fine style outwards, then another good run with 33116 put me in position for the second winner of the gala, 37714 appearing as booked for the run to Loughborough.

Time now to see the full line, so D8568 was taken all the way to Belgrave and Birstall (to give it its proper name), then back up to Rothley. Finally, Royal Oak took me back south to Leicester North (to give it its made up name) and then all the way through to Loughborough. I'd now had a ride behind all working locos except the recalcitrant peak and 37119 (D6700) which had sounded very good on the three occasions it passed me going the other way, but was declined this time in favour of a gratuitous winner which Real Time Trains had indicated.

So I walked back to Loughborough Midland, scooped in required 222004 to East Midlands Parkway on the Nottingham service then waited 10 minutes for duds 222022+222017 to return me to Sheffield. Pleasingly, a shunt around had occurred at Derby since I had passed that morning, so 37608, 37800, 37884 and the absolute monster 37175 were all now visible in passing.

At Sheffield sustenance was required, so Smith's were visited for a meal deal, consumed aboard 195125 which was just as competent traversing the Hope Valley in a westward direction as it was going eastward earlier. From Piccadilly, trams 3013 (to Piccadilly Gardens) and 3147 took me cross town to Victoria and 150149+150225 up to Castleton, where I alighted for some beer (and, amazingly, got a round of applause for singing "Harper Valley PTA" on the karaoke - although this may have been less due to my musical talent than to the fact it interrupted the bloke operating the equipment who seemed to be intent on playing the complete works of Showaddywaddy!) Then some more beer, and a long wait for a taxi home, due to Eid being celebrated and most taxis locally being driven by Muslims (and good luck to them, they work hard and deserve to celebrate their festival - but I wish it hadn't been raining!)

A Good Day!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
April 2023 - the year so far

Mileage in April - 1983.7
Mileage for year to end of April - 6343.3

Most entertaining haulage of the month:
3rd: 09107 at the SVR. Very sprightly for a gronk on brake vans.
2nd: D8568 at the GCR. The wet weather of late in Northern England is probably down to the cloud seeding done by this little monster
1st: 50017 at the GCR. Noisiest 50 I've heard for ages, thanks to judiciously entertaining driving

Bizarrest haulage of the month:
3rd: M79900 aka Iris at the GCR. Nice old thing.
2nd: M52053+M53628 at the Keith and Dufftown. Not so much the DMU itself, more the presence of the Easter Bunny handing out eggs!
1st: The tiny kettle "Bon Accord" at the Royal Deeside (working Push and Pull on early Mark 2 coaches)

Best new shack: Any of the ones I scored between Laurencekirk and Huntly (inclusive) . All neat, tidy and a credit to ScotRail

Worst new shack: Whilst Eskbank is a dullish platform in a cutting and Gretna Green was damp and windy, natural features shouldn't come into this. There is really no excuse for Edinburgh Gateway though - evidently designed by an architect with a liking for odd mushrooms…

So we now move on to May, and a speeding up of things. The diesels are out to play at Embsay next weekend; the (long) weekend after involves Thursday and Friday at Swanage, repositioning myself to Sittingbourne on the Saturday (may be fun, as there seems to be a strike on), Sunday at the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch, back home Monday; four days rest; a couple of days back at the SVR then possibly a trip to Bo'ness the following weekend (not involving pubs in Glasgow:) ). And June looks totally bizarre, with Minehead, Sheringham, a quiz in Middlesbrough and possibly the Middleton Railway gala all to be fitted in over the same weekend..

Iskra

Established Member
I'm glad you had a good April and the GCR gala sounded fun; the Class 37 that you missed is well worth a spin in the future.

I was looking at doing the Embsay Gala next weekend too, but I've been before and while I really enjoy 37's and 20's- I wasn't sure how much fun they would be on a 4 mile line. I've opted for a first trip on the Churnet Valley instead, which is also a more relaxing/scenic drive to get to.