• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rambling Roebuck... (Trip Reports)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
8/8/15 - No trains involved

Just a straightforward trip from Rochdale to Seahouses to spend a couple of days with my parents. Normally, I'd go by train to Alnmouth, Berwick or Chathill - however a quick perusal of the Megabus website lead me to change my plans.

So the morning started with a bus ride to Manchester on First's 37442. I then caught the 0830 coach, stopping at Hartshead Moor (fuel), Leeds and the rather hellfire Middlesbrough (presumably Le Corbusier designed the coach station, as only a warped mind would put such a facility ON THE ROOF of the normal bus station) before being decanted, 10 late, at Sunderland's Park Lane interchange.

This was my first Megabus trip, and overall impressions were pretty favourable. The coach was clean, the staff/driver friendly and it "did what it said on the can". The lateness was due to heavy traffic rather than any fault of the coach.

However the lateness meant my chance of a fast tram connection to the 12:33 bus from Haymarket had gone. It did give me the opportunity of a "play" on Nexus before catching the 13:33, though...

So from Park Lane I headed first towards South Hylton on 4072 as far as Millfield for 4064 to Stadium of Light, 4041 to St Peters, 4044 to Felling and finally 4060 to Haymarket (first dud of the day).

Five winners and five winning shacks isn't bad for an hour and 5 minutes!

A pnb was had at Marks & Sparks, then the bus ride (90 mins to Alnwick on a pleasant Arriva jobbie, followed by another hour on to Seahouses on one of Travelsure's finest rattlers) was endured. The highlight of this was watching disgruntled Tom Jones fans having their picnics confiscated on the way into Alnwick Castle Grounds - not a good start to a gig which proved disastrous. ..

More bashing - and Megabussage - tomorrow. I'm off home via, er, Glasgow!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That bus/coach station at Middlesborough really needs looking into, well funky!

Good to hear your first Megabus experience was not disappointing, they've come a long way since the early days, back when Volvo Olympians were used on the Gloucester, Cardiff and Bristol to London routes. Oh my lordz, the thrash up Birdlip Hill (east of Gloucester) on one of those! <D

Hope the rest of the trip goes well!

Established Member
I went to London and back by megabus, last Tuesday came back Wednesday, on the way down the bus was pulled at Wooley Edge, something to with a break server. Got there close to 2hrs late by they time they found a replacement and it arrived.
Only hitch really, certainly agree, the drivers were certainly friendly enough, £38 return for my daughter and I, was very reasonable TOO.
Emjoy your trip in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
10/8/15 - Bustitution cancelled - NW Rover Day 1 (eventually)

For today, I had a cheap single on the 12:23 from Berwick to Glasgow and a ticket on the overnight Megabus home. I was originally planning a Strathclyde Daytripper, and clearance of the Wemyss Bay and Paisley Canal branches, neither of which I'd travelled on before.

A combination of factors led to a change of plan:
1. Little sleep last night
2. 4/8 North West Rovers being good value at 72:00
3. A desire to play with the tractors in Cumbria
4. Possibly a trip to Blackpool on Sunday.

So here's what transpired.

A fairly wedged and fairly rancid 220025 duly turned up at BWK, and forwarded me to Glasgow Central in a competent manner. Enroute, at Edinburgh, 380101 became the first of its class to be seen by me (not been to Scotland since 2010. I exited the station for a smoke, and then bought a Roundabout ticke rather than a Daytripper - plan B was coming into force.

The smaller ticket ruled out Wemyss Bay, so I boarded the 14:42 to Paisley Canal. Prior to today, id sampled four of the 16 314s, so a winner was likely - however dud 314207 turned up as a 3-1 outsider.

Tbc

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh another forum member on a NW rover! That's 3 of us trip reporters who've been on a 4 in 8 FONW in the last week (me, Blindtraveller and now yourself), agreed they are excellent value.

I'm going to find a 314 to Paisley Canal weird when I do it, as I had a 156 on it years back. Not complaining of course as I love 314s and have done for years.

Established Member
Aye, you can't beat a bit of PEP-age :)
Prior to this year, the last time I went to Paisley Canal it was on a 101!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
The last thrilling (?) Episode of this serial ended abruptly at Paisley Canal. Here's the rest of the day...

On arrival at Canal, choices had to be made. I could head straight back on the same unit for a shack scratch (Crookston crossed my mind), but I decided on a walk to Gilmour Street, hopefully via the local Spoons, which Googlemaps had indicated was enroute. It was - the Post Summat (forget the second bit, but it wasn't Coital Cigarette) was nextdoor to PYG. And it had run out of fish & chips!

One moderately mediocre burger later, I headed upstairs to see what trains were on offer. I had thought of a short shack-scratching leap to Bishopton or Paisley St James, but the train was delayed. So I bailed out of Renfrewshire on 380113, first of the class I'd sampled. Not too bad, either. By the time I'd arrived back at GLC, I'd made my mind up - foregt the Megabussage, I was getting home via a single to Lockerbie and a NW 4/8.

I had about 90 minutes to kill, so headed downstairs for a bit of minimum-effort unit and shack scratching. I'd just missed an eastbound train, but a westbound one was imminent - and was dud 318265, which I took as far as the equally dud Exhibition Centre. Here, things improved (including the weather) and I joined 318256 for a run to Rutherglen, planning to do a linear bash back.

The plan worked - 321319 was taken to Dalmarnock, with 320321 following up behind to Argyle Street and finally 321313 back to Central. I then headed back upstairs, bought my tickets and sourced some doughnuts (Greggs) and Carling Black Label (Co-op Extra) for the trip south.

I was a bit concerned that, at 17:32, no platform had been announced for the 17:40 to Birmingham. I needn't have worried - this was on a rapid turnaround and the Voyager arrived, expelled its contents and was duly boarded for a right time (or thereabouts) departure from Platform 2. As a bonus, it was winner 221111, so I settled down by a plug socket with my doughnuts and beer (no, I'm not Homer Simpson, although we have similar tastes on occasion) for a brisk run to Preston.

Highlights of the journey were twofold - spotting 68005 at Kingmoor shed (not seen one of those before) and a clear view of the Lake District fells in the latitude of Penrith (Grassmoor, Causey Pike and Crag Hill scored for sight from a distance - and, unlike A Wainwright in not having a spouse I detest, this will do rather than walking up them).

Alighting at Preston, Real Time Trains was consulted to see if a fill-in leap was possible. And it was - 150142 was taken to Kirkham and Wesham for a cheeky shack scratch, equally dull 150144 returned me to Preston, comfortable triple unit 158752 took me on to Burnley Manchester Road and then a certain annoying curve was FINALLY covered, with 150276 doing the honours home to Rochdale.

Not a bad day, if somewhat different to the original plan. Day 2 of the rover is later today - was going to go for the 0950 "Paupers WAG" from Manchester, but serially dud 67014 has been quoted, so I might head straight for Cumbrian Coastal tractoring instead!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Couple of things to mention:

Your Spoons in Paisley is The Last Post, I did it the other week. Nice in there (better than my local Spoons), and if it hadn't been 09:bungle I'd have finally tried that Asahi (Japanese lager/beer) as they had on draught. Only seen it a couple of times in bottles before but yet to try it.

The 321s you mention on the Low Level lines in Glasgow are actually 320s ;)

Not sure I agree on the taste with Carling personally, I'd have gone for cider or perhaps bottles of beers. At least there is a supermarket of some sort near Central, something I've yet to find.

That Todmorden Curve is annoying to go after, nice to get it done and out of the way. Enjoy the 37s if you do indeed go for them!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Couple of things to mention:

Your Spoons in Paisley is The Last Post, I did it the other week. Nice in there (better than my local Spoons), and if it hadn't been 09:bungle I'd have finally tried that Asahi (Japanese lager/beer) as they had on draught. Only seen it a couple of times in bottles before but yet to try it.

The 321s you mention on the Low Level lines in Glasgow are actually 320s ;)

Not sure I agree on the taste with Carling personally, I'd have gone for cider or perhaps bottles of beers. At least there is a supermarket of some sort near Central, something I've yet to find.

That Todmorden Curve is annoying to go after, nice to get it done and out of the way. Enjoy the 37s if you do indeed go for them!
I put the 321 error down to the late hour of report writing. ..

Yes, I'm out for the 37s. Two new shacks so far and just boarded my first winner of the day. One more sneaky shack score planned before catching the 14:37 from Carlisle. :)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Flagging 67014 :shock:

I am thinking of going to Mancc on Saturday just to get it in again!

It sounds like a really good time though, minus the 221s!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Flagging 67014 :shock:

I am thinking of going to Mancc on Saturday just to get it in again!

It sounds like a really good time though, minus the 221s!

You won't see 67014 at Manchester on Saturday. Not normally out on a Saturday but during August could be doing some working from Crewe along the North Wales Coast. Check with RTT for details would be the best thing.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Darn, I forgot that it doesn't run on Saturdays! I might try Friday instead then.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
12/8/15 - A Cumbrian Chillax

Day 2 of my FONW 4/8...

Having checked that the undesirable (to me, anyway) 67014 was on the Pauper's WAG, I eschewed an early bus to Manchester and decided to start the day at Rochdale. (Yes, I know I live there, but I meant the station.) In the spirit of randomness - although the critical might say idleness - I aimed for the notoriously unreliable 471 bus at 08:50 (the station is uphill, and I've got a weekly bus ticket for work purposes) figuring that iif I missed the 09:00 to Manchester then I could head for Lakeland via Burnley or Yorkshire. Fortunately, First Manchester hadn't had time to descend into farce mode, so I. made the earlier train. 158756 duly obliged with a fast run to Manchester Victoria.

We pulled into Platform 4, and 150136 was revving away on the opposite side of the island with a Blackpool train. As this seemed a reasonably painless way to reach Preston, with a bonus view of the diggings enroute in Farnworth. I duly boarded, then checked RTT to see if a shack score was possible. Huzzah! A Liverpool to Blackpool service called at Leyland 10 minutes after my train, so the Shack Attack for the day began there, with 156441 forwarding me to Preston.

The intention here was to score a meal deal at the buffet, but there weren't any crisps I fancied, so I boarded 390141 for a spin to Lancaster. I knew the following Tippex to Windermere was dud, but needed food. And another shack. Surely Staveley would have shops? i jjoined185114, determined to find out!

Tbc...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I knew the 321s thing would have an error caused by burning the midnight oil too much, just wanted to point it out in case of erronous markings in your books.

If I'd known you were off to Staveley I'd have confirmed nothing there.

Took me a few minutes to work out what Tippex was, like that so might be adopting it in this weekend's trip report.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
continued from above

Forty minutes or so later, Staveley was reached, and I had 20 minutes to find some grub. A five minute walk to the village found me in the local spar, where a bonny lass with a lovely smile sold me a meal deal (prawn sandwich, plain crisps and lemonade), which occupied my attention for the trip back toOxenholme. Time to see what delight the "velocitous vermin roulette wheel" produced - and it was first winner of the day 390009 for the trip over Shap to Carlisle.

I had 90 minutes here before the scheduled tractorfest. This was occupied by firstly admiring Black Five 45231, which had arrived shortly after me on a charter. Then 142050 spluttered to life in a bay platform (possibly my lowest mileage Northern pacer, if I bothered with mileage), so I boarded for a gratuitous shack scratch at Weatheral, with 142078 returning me to the citadel. Finally, a swift half was had in winning spoons "The William Rufus".

tbc (again)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was now time for the highlight of the day. 37401 and 37402 were topping and tailing the Mark 2s, and it was 37401 which entered the lists for the day by leading out southbound. It also improved its standing in the mileage stakes, having only been previously sampled from Piccalilli to Oxford Road. A pleasantly noisy ride was had as far as Corkickle, a winning shack and a suitable place to intercept the northbound service with the DBSO. 37423 turned up on this and was slightly noisier (imho) than 401 on the trip back to Flimby.

Why here? Because it was a winner shack (Workington and Maryport both being dud from a trip on the Jamexes in 2010); because its in the middle of nowhere much, and because its there. I also discovered a bakery across the road from the station which serves damn fine home made pies.

Aided by pastry, the half hour fester passed quickly enough, before 156448 turned up to whisk me slowly (via the speed restrictions at Parton) back to my final new shack of the day at Whitehaven. 20 minutes here and a three car rake turned up. Not having sampled one today, 153358 was the natural choice for a run back to Carlisle.

From here, my homeward trip was similar to Monday. Winning 350410 appeared for the trip back to Preston, 158756 made its second appearance of the day to take me to Burnley Manchester Road and 150117 became my second chariot round the Tod curve.

A decent day out, that. Day 3 of the rover will be Saturday, when I might look at the Southern end of the Cumbrian coast. As all shacks apart from Ravenglass and Grange are required, it will be another shacking day...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Certainly worth remembering that bakery at Flimby, sounds like a Top Tip there!

I need tons of the shacks on the coast too, hoping to change that eventually with a couple of day ranger trips. Of course taking advantage of plenty of 37 haulage too!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
15/8/15 - More NW Roving, of a rather Lackadaisical Kind

For Day 3 of the rover, I decided on a gentler day, with no fixed plan.

Had a lie in, and eventually pitched up at Rochdale at 1pm. The Manchester train turned out to be a wedged dud 150, so I headed East.

158754 turned up on the 13:01 to Leeds and was taken to Todmorden, where I fell back onto156486 for the trip round the corner for a shack scratch at Rose Grove. There was a decent connection into the Colne train here, which was a pair of units. 142061 was taken to Nelson (which has a fine roof) and 150205 back to Accrington, whence 158757 took me to Preston.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
15/8/15 continued...

From Preston, I decided to head North. 221114 took me to Lancaster, then winning 350401 was scooped in to Oxenholme for350409 back. Thisleft me with a five minute cconnection onto 37409 and DBSO for a shack scratch at Arnside.

Another short connection here, then 185127 was taken back to Preston, with 350405 onwards to Wigan NW. I hoped for a 319 here, but the all shacks to Liverpool was in the hands of 156491. I took this to Huyton for the last new shack of the day, then a late running and dud 319362 trundled me to Manchester Victoria.

An ATM move here, then homeward bound via 150226 to Castleton, several beers** and 142029 back to Rochdale.

(** These may be the reason why this review is running late, and why Day 4 of the rover failed to materialise... :) )

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not doing Day 4 due to beers, I would hope they were amazing beers!

I did a full day's bashing after a heavy night in May 2014, with just a minor kip on the way to Newport! In 2004 (or was it late 2003, I forget!) I did better than that, I had a seriously heavy session in a nightclub and still got up for a bash, hungover like mad so imagine the joy...

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Defunct Shack Nostalgia Attack

Been trying to think of the closed stations which I've caught trains from/to. I've come up with the following:
Bradford Exchange
Liverpool Exchange
Manchester Exchange (told this but was 2 at the time and can't remember)
London Broad Street.
North Woolwich
Oldham Mumps
Oldham Werneth
Aldwych (LUL)
Matlock Riverside (although this is still in situ)

Ones that got away (called but not alighted):
Miles Platting
Park
Royton Junction
Woodlands Road
Workington North

Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Defunct Shack Nostalgia Attack

Been trying to think of the closed stations which I've caught trains from/to. I've come up with the following:
Bradford Exchange
Liverpool Exchange
Manchester Exchange (told this but was 2 at the time and can't remember)
London Broad Street.
North Woolwich
Oldham Mumps
Oldham Werneth
Aldwych (LUL)
Matlock Riverside (although this is still in situ)

Ones that got away (called but not alighted):
Miles Platting
Park
Royton Junction
Woodlands Road
Workington North

That's a novel one - I've a few myself
Addiscombe
Broad Street
Bury
Canning Town
Croxley Green
Custom House
Dean Lane
Dover Western Docks
Folkestone Harbour
Gloucester Eastgate
Lincoln St Marks
London Holborn Viaduct
London King's Cross Thameslink
Mitcham
Morden Road
North Woolwich
Rotherham Masborough
Weymouth Quay

Of course some now exist being served by light rail type operations

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
That's a novel one - I've a few myself
Addiscombe
Broad Street
Bury
Canning Town
Croxley Green
Custom House
Dean Lane
Dover Western Docks
Folkestone Harbour
Gloucester Eastgate
Lincoln St Marks
London Holborn Viaduct
London King's Cross Thameslink
Mitcham
Morden Road
North Woolwich
Rotherham Masborough
Weymouth Quay

Of course some now exist being served by light rail type operations

I've discounted ones that have transferred to Light Rail (Milnrow, Shaw & Crompton, Stretford) or preservation (Bury Bolton Street).

Two more that I've "scored" from the world of trams are High Street and Mosley Street.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
As I've been playing out today, it's time this thread was rescued from Page 3 of the sub-forum...

19/09/15 - Paperchasing in the Champion County

Some, or maybe all - or maybe only a few - of you may be aware of the Northern Rail ten pound day rover tickets available to holders of tokens from certain dull-buy-worthy local newspapers. These have come in handy for me in the past, for visiting family in deepest Chathillshire as well as for messing about on trains.

The snag is that none of these papers cover the Rochdale area (the Rochdale Observer is owned by the Manchester Evening News Group, and can best be described as embryonic chip-wrapper). In previous years, I've taken a bus ride to Accrington to pick up se eral copies of the same paper from a bemused newsagent. However, I've discovered that my Manchester First Bus pass is valid on the #590 to Todmorden, Hebden Bridge and Halifax, so I decided o a trip over the pennines; and, with a West Yorks Day Rover being a reasonable seven squid, a shackatack session seemed in order. This could also result in cour different papers to read, rather than four identical ones to bin (after toke removal).

I therefore had a dabble with RTT, and came up with a potential route scoring Nine shacks, although timings were tightish on a couple of them.

So I wended my way down to Rochdale Bus Station heading for the 09:25 to Todmorden - and missed it! Not wishing to hang around, I did a spot of linear bus bashing - 60906 to Smallbridge, 42940 to Littleo and then 66744 to Todmorden (didn't know First were hiring in GBRF motive power...). Arriving at Tod, I sourced a Tod News and a Hebden Bridge Times from the newsagents and headed to the station.

Tbc

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As always, looking forward to the next part and that's a rather good idea, combining a paper buying spree with a trip.

I loved my Northern Day Ranger on 1st June (feels like so much longer ago than that!) so I'm a little jealous as I'm nowhere near the area for the papers!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
As always, looking forward to the next part and that's a rather good idea, combining a paper buying spree with a trip.

I loved my Northern Day Ranger on 1st June (feels like so much longer ago than that!) so I'm a little jealous as I'm nowhere near the area for the papers!
Thanks for the kind words. Some time, when you're up in the pennine area again, I'll pop out and join you on a bash. Anyway, on with the rambling...

With a more rigid than normal plan for the day, the chance of winners was limited, although there were three 150s which could have potentially been thrown out by the Northern Random DMU generator. My first train of the day was indeed a 150, but dud 150211 was the chariot to my first new shack, Morley. This was also the home of a potential voucher-bearing paper, but as it looked to be in a gulch miles from civilisation I remained at the station and joined 158848 for the short leap back to Batley

With missing the bus, I was slightly awry with my schedule (had actually overtaken myself by cutting out the "via Halifax and Huddersfield" part of my route to Morley). So I had half an hour spare at Batley and joined the rail-ail-trail briefly with a half of porter at the Cellar Bar across the road. I then joined 155345 for the trip up to the well-sited but bland Cottingley. Nothing to do here, so a short wait saw me heading back south again on 144010 to Deighton, which seemed to be a more rural twin of Cottingley.

There was a convenient four minute connection here for the train on to Wakefield, and the NRDG mocked me here by throwing out 155344, probably my highest mileage DMU of all (spreadsheets not fully updated, but it's on 700 plus, mostly accrued between Manchester Victoria and Rochdale). Nevertheless, a smooth run was had to Kirkgate, where the plus 2 onto the Sheffield stopper 142033 was achieved. I was now reaching the limits of ranger validity, so the alert reader will already have guessed that Darton would be my next stopping point.

Darton was a pleasant and peaceful spot for a twenty minute fester in the sun. Unfortunately, this is where the boobs assumed a vertical position, with some sort of signal problem at Sheffield turning the +20 into a +35. Bang goes the connection at Normanton, then! I could have bailed at Kirkgate to get back on track, but thought I still had a chance of making the Knottingley train at Cas Vegas. No chance, it left as we arrived. So I remained on the train to Leeds, being further disgruntled that 70014 was the only sight cop on Midland Road.

No obvious winners about at Leeds, so I adjourned to W H Smiths, where my luck changed - a whole plastic tower thingummy full of Johnston Press titles with vouchers. Acquiring a Yorkshire Evining Post and a Cas Vegas and Ponte Carlo Gazzetta for my voucher collection, I returned to railside of the barriers and had a short, unplanned leap to Burley Park for a bonus shack scratch. (150224 there for 150275 back). I noted a co-op next to the shack - could be useful for a snack-attack if anyone else is heading that way...

Back at Leeds, an HST had arrived. A quick look at the front power car, and it's required, and due to depart in 40 minutes. Can I sneak another shack scratch in the interval? Theoretically, yes - however RTT suggests the return service is 15 late, so Bramley will have to wait. Likewise East Garforth. After a walk outside for a smoke, I boarded the HST in good time, and 43306 (together with dud partner 43319 was duly scooped in to Wakefield Westgate. From here, I had a couple of options. Sadly, my last 322 (484) did not appear on the Donny stopper, so it was down the hill to Kirkgate on 150142 to make the second attempt of the day at Normanton.

No chance - the Sheffield-Leeds local was four late, ruling out the plus four at Normanton. I didn't fancy a 50 minute fester at Kirkgate (it may have been gentrified, but is still dull) for the Grand CCentral service to Bradford, sodecided to cut my losses and headed back to Leeds on the fast service, with 158843. At this point I was planning to go straight home - however a spirited run meant I made a connection with the 1823 Huddersfield local (158909). This gave me a connection at Mirfield into the aforementioned Grand Central service, so away I went.

And virtue/persistence were rewarded. 180114 gave me a winningly sybaritic trundleup the hill to Halifax, and put me half an hour ahead of sschedule. So I took 150276 as far as Mytholmroyd, where I adjourned to the Shoulder of Mutton for a swift half. Returning to the station and boarding 158758, I was planning to go through to Walsden for the bus home. However I heard a couple of familiar voices on the train. Lords Opticus and Riggy, no less - coming back from scratching in the new bits of the Nottingham tram system (vice Tweedbank - they also should have been on the cancelled Pathfinder tour). So I left the train at Hebden Bridge for a pint, then got the bus from there!

A good day on the whole - tokens sourced, six shacks, two winners and a nice chat with people I hadn't seen for a while.

Last edited:

Established Member
Nice report.
I was out and about as well yesterday, visiting some of the same stations and having some of the same units!
My report is written and should be appearing in the near future :)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Nice report.
I was out and about as well yesterday, visiting some of the same stations and having some of the same units!
My report is written and should be appearing in the near future :)
I see our trips coincided exactly from Ravensthorpe to Deighton, and back to Mirfield.

My remaining WY shacks now fall into five groups:
Huddersfield area - Ravensthorpe, Slaithwaite, Marsden and the Sheffield line shacks (apart from Shelley - done some years ago)
Rhubarb country - Normanton, Glasshoughton, Featherstone and Streethouse - planned for yesterday but failed to get there! :(
Oddments - Bramley, East Garforth, Micklefield, Horsforth. The latter is included in a tentative plan for a Northern Ranger, as the timings look better for scooping it from the Harrogate direction.
Being Built - Calverley and Kirkstall Forge(?) - will join oddments when built...
Middleton Railway - been meaning to visit for years!