• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ran a level crossing what happens next?

kcooksey250

Basically yesterday I came across my first level crossing since I've started driving as I never come across them with work. I turned the corner, going 30, the light went orange then quickly red, I saw orange, forgot everything, went full on deer in headlights and by the time I made a decision it was red and I was past the line. It only just turned red, and I was down the road a fair way before the barriers even started to close so it was close but I think I still got got.

So my question is, its a company vehicle but its my first offence with anything, would a level crossing awareness course be offered in replacement for the points and fine?

I've never been through this process before and being young I know my insurance will hike if I get the points and plus it comes with a hefty fine. Just looking for a bit of advice from people who have been through this type of thing before.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

74A

They have 14 days to contact the owner of the van to find out who was driving. So basically you have to wait.

If nothing heard by then you should be OK. Please note however if the van is leased then they will contact the lease company first. The lease company will tell the police the company details of who has the van. So potentially 28 days or longer.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
From your description, you're probably fine. If the lights sequence started just as you got to the crossing, and as you state you were some distance past the crossing by the time the barriers descended, your vehicle probably (though not definitely) won't have been captured by the camera systems.

As mentioned above, you probably need to give it four weeks to be certain, but you'll probably be okay. In the meantime, study the bits of the highway code that deal with level crossings so that in future you won't be caught by surprise when you encounter one.

Established Member
Basically yesterday I came across my first level crossing since I've started driving as I never come across them with work. I turned the corner, going 30, the light went orange then quickly red, I saw orange, forgot everything, went full on deer in headlights and by the time I made a decision it was red and I was past the line. It only just turned red, and I was down the road a fair way before the barriers even started to close so it was close but I think I still got got.

So my question is, its a company vehicle but its my first offence with anything, would a level crossing awareness course be offered in replacement for the points and fine?

I've never been through this process before and being young I know my insurance will hike if I get the points and plus it comes with a hefty fine. Just looking for a bit of advice from people who have been through this type of thing before.

Cheers

Was there a camera at the crossing? If not probably nothing to worry about.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Cheers

It depends on whether the crossing has a camera or is being overlooked by a Box. If neither then nothing will happen. If you were seen, then a letter will be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle who must name the driver, and then a Notice of Intended Prosecution will be issued.

There is no "level crossing awareness course", so it would be points and fine.

Advice: don't "run" any lights. If the amber lights illuminate then STOP, just as you should do at any traffic lights.

Was there a camera at the crossing? If not probably nothing to worry about.

Some crossings are overlooked by Boxes.
The Box I worked was like that and we residents often reported drivers to the BTP for this offence.

The exile

Established Member
I turned the corner, going 30, the light went orange then quickly red, I saw orange, forgot everything, went full on deer in headlights
At the very least chalk it up to experience and be glad it was a level crossing, not a child in the road. Assuming your comment about “going 30” means “I was driving legally” (in a 30mph zone), always try to remember that “permitted” and “safe” are frequently not the same thing. Sermon over!

Last edited:

Ken X

Hopefully all will be well but this is now a done deal.

What you can do is file this event in your experience box. Think about the sequence of events. what you did, when and why. Then formulate a procedure to prevent you repeating the process and ending up in the same position. As stated earlier, refer to the Highway Code re. Level Crossings. Having a rough game plan in the back of your mind speeds up your reactions and buys you time to flex it if necessary.

We all start off with an empty experience box and a full luck box. The trick is to fill the former before the latter runs out. :lol:

Aviator88

When you first start driving, it's information overload, especially in an unfamiliar area. You're using all your mental capacity to keep it between the white lines and react to other vehicles etc.

There would (should) have been a sign warning of the level crossing a little while prior to it, especially if it's on/round a blind bend, but it's likely you didn't process this.

Also, as humans we react instinctively to change, but static situations require analysis. So when you're presented with an amber light in an unfamiliar situation, instead of stopping, you're thinking, "Huh, wonder why that's just stuck on amber..." Whereas if you watched it change from green to amber, you'd probably have stopped.

It's a learning experience - anyone who says they've never done or come close to doing something like this is lying.

Best (and most likely) case scenario - you weren't seen/caught doing it, and you've already debriefed yourself on how to prevent it from happening again.

Worst case scenario - notice of intended prosecution which will lead to 3 points + a small fine, insurance will hardly be affected, points will become invalid after 3 years and be removed a year after that at 4 years.

kcooksey250

It depends on whether the crossing has a camera or is being overlooked by a Box. If neither then nothing will happen. If you were seen, then a letter will be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle who must name the driver, and then a Notice of Intended Prosecution will be issued.

Advice: don't "run" any lights. If the amber lights illuminate then STOP, just as you should do at any traffic lights.

The Box I worked was like that and we residents often reported drivers to the BTP for this offence.
https://www.drivetech.co.uk/police-referred-courses/courses/

Found this website that does awareness courses, and there was a camera I saw before hand, I watched the light turn red then I went past it

Annetts key

Established Member
I trust that you are now aware that an amber or yellow light means stop unless it would be unsafe to do so.

Or as the highway code says
AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident

As others have said, there should have been a warning sign before you got to the crossing.

And, you are suppose to drive at a suitable speed such that you can stop short of any obstruction. If you were going too fast to stop, what would have happened if the barriers were down and a train was on the crossing? Smashed into it?

If these is a bend in the road that reduces your view of the road ahead, slow down.

Hopefully you will learn from this experience.

Somewhere

And, of course, flashing red lights mean 'you must stop'. Which includes emergency vehicles - even they cannot pass red flashing lights when on an emergency call

DelW

Established Member
There was a similar thread last autumn:

Unfortunately it's not clear whether or not the OP who posted there ever heard any more about it.

1955LR

It might be helpful to attend one of the advanced driving courses run by the Institute of advance motorist (IAM) or Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA ) , I took and am still taking part in the RoSPA programme over
the last 25 years & found it very very helpful to keep me up to standard. I had previously collided with a Police Car on a wet road . I admit I was traveling too fast & they fortunately offered me a Driver Improvement Course , rather than prosecution .

LCC106

Established Member
Welcome to the forum.

As has been suggested and you have alluded to the fact there is a camera there, you may well have been clocked.

My father once crossed a level crossing where the lights had just clicked on to red. He went on a course, which reduced his (fine or points, can’t remember). He said he relearned a lot of things he had forgotten, but by this stage he had been driving for 40+ years.

What are people’s thoughts regarding whether to disclose to the employer? Is it better to say that this is the first time I’ve driven across a level crossing since passing my test, this occurred, I’m concerned it may have been caught as an offence on camera, absolutely mortified, have since re-read the relevant sections of the Highway Code etc. so basically be proactive rather than waiting for an annoyed employer to have to investigate.

Certainly, if you are a member of a Trade Union I would talk to a local rep.

We live and learn.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Was this in an employer's vehicle?

If it wasn't I'd no more disclose it in advance than any other potential road traffic penalty. Because we're about railways we see it more seriously than road traffic law generally would - it is generally just a standard fine and three points matter.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Since the OP states in their opening post that they were in a works vehicle I would recommend telling their transport manager now.

Established Member
Since the OP states in their opening post that they were in a works vehicle I would recommend telling their transport manager now.

I’d wait and see what happens, personally. This forum loves to analyse everything to the nth degree.

He’s a young guy who made a mistake, at the end of day, and he’s clearly learned from it.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
https://www.drivetech.co.uk/police-referred-courses/courses/

Found this website that does awareness courses, and there was a camera I saw before hand, I watched the light turn red then I went past it
The police will have set guidelines as to who is eligible for a course instead of prosecution. For speeding your speed has to be within a range above the speed limit. With level crossings it could be flashing yellows - offer course, red - prosecute. You'll have to wait and see if/when they contact you.

Egg Centric

The police will have set guidelines as to who is eligible for a course instead of prosecution. For speeding your speed has to be within a range above the speed limit. With level crossings it could be flashing yellows - offer course, red - prosecute. You'll have to wait and see if/when they contact you.

Those would be pretty crazy guidelines given it's solid yellows (which are perfectly legal to pass and so there shouldn't be a course to begin with) and flashing red (which are never legal to pass).

I agree with 43066 that pragmattically OP should wait. He would almost certainly have seeen the camera flash if it had "got him"

Last edited:

The Puddock

I agree with 43066 that pragmattically OP should wait. He would almost certainly have seeen the camera flash if it had "got him"
If it was an obstacle detector crossing then the cameras don't flash. They use high definition CCTV cameras (rather than the GATSO type cameras which resemble speed cameras) with ANPR to automatically flag non-compliance for issuing tickets.

Deafdoggie

Established Member

There are courses for pretty much every motoring offence, although not all are offered by every force. However, most offer a "red light & road signs" course which would cover this.

Technically it needs to be a calibrated red light camera to offer court evidence. That said, you'd probably need a solicitor to argue that successfully so it's cheaper to pay the fine & do the course!