• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random Ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisj

Real Time Trains really is a saviour when delays crop up, it almost encourages silly connection times when planning things.

Day 5 – Pre-IEP VTEC Day

0500 Sleeper went via Bristol and Swindon; think I have done all the major routings now on this service.

0600 Contrary to the title, I am making a brief sojourn into East Anglia in the morning. First off, 90013 takes me to Ipswich where I photo some Freightliner stuff before jumping behind 90003 for the remainder of the journey out to Norwich.

0830 One round trip on each loco diagram then off to VTEC, starting with 37405 out to Great Yarmouth. I’ve only been in Norwich for a few minutes and two people out of the blue have warned me about a storm despite it being an incredibly sunny day.

0915 So sunny, I can only take photos in one direction in fact, what is wrong with these people. 37419 leading back to Norwich now.

1000 68002 next up out to Lowestoft; there is a crate of water in the lead carriage vice air-con. A third person mentions this alleged storm, I assume now it’s a joke I am most definitely not in on.

1100 Been a pleasant morning, one I wouldn’t have minded extending, alas 68024 finishes off the East Anglia moves.

1140 New line for me now as I go cross country to Peterborough, 170 207 starts off bringing me to Ely where I pick up 158 875 to Peterborough.

1330 Tighter than I had anticipated but on to 43314+251 south to Stevenage were I intend to pick up the 90 diagram.

1430 Everything running smoothly today, 90029 appears for the trip to Newark then 91131 further north to York.

1700 43251+314 again from York to Darlington then 91129 back to York. Passenger numbers on the ECML seem visibly higher every time I visit with most services with limited spare seats all through the day.

1800 Heading south again with 43308+318 as far as Doncaster, amazed and relieved how punctual this day has been, bit boring for trip report purposes though. Next up a spin towards Leeds.

1840 91109 doing the honours to Wakefield Westgate, I ponder food here but I don’t know the area so wander aimlessly then give up and take 91130 back to Doncaster. Inevitably, I spot a street of food outlets as we depart the station.

1955 On 91116 now to Peterborough again; the service behind is running a few late, couldn’t have planned it better myself as the Wetherspoons move is now a little more leisurely.

2130 43206+272 finish the East Coast moves into London then dander across to Euston.

2340 Reports that 86401 was doing the Edinburgh-Carstairs moves this week have disappeared so stick to the original plan of Cumbrian Coast tomorrow; 90044 taking me north for it.

2350 When I say original plan, the original original plan was to do this on Saturday but the Northern strike killed that idea.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some fantastic variety there, and your last GWR 57 was my first one, which I had in June 2004. I hope your cans were of something decent at Liskeard! Not sure I've ever had a DMU over the Tamar Bridge, must look into that as well as a trip into Cornwall for some journeys on those branches I've not been on in many a year.

Suddenly I have a new idea for October...

chisj

Can't remember exactly what was on the menu at Liskeard, probably some cide.

Day 6 – Cumbrian Coast

0513 Wake up after a rather restful night’s sleep and recognise Carlisle.

0514 On Carlisle platform barefoot hoping I remembered everything from the train as it pulls off.

0515 3724 pulls away to Preston, disaster.

0517 RTT tells me I could’ve easily made the 37s if I’d been prompt off the sleeper. But I forgot to set an alarm, could’ve been worse, could’ve woken up in Edinburgh.

0545 390 020 to Lancaster, the recent heat wave hasn’t reach this part of the world, although the dreariness suits the scenery and my mood.

0705 144 010 to Carnforth where I bail to photo a kettle of some sort shunting around; very atmospheric in the heavy mizzle.

0745 153 360 now on to Ulverston where I jump behind 37424 3 hours later than I could have.

0935 Emergency brake activates a few times just north of Preston and I’m well aware this day could quickly go from irritating to calamity. We clamber on in and I get supplies for the long trek north.

1130 Earlier problems didn’t resurface and we arrive into Barrow more or less on time for 37403 to take us the next stage north to Carlisle.

1430 At this point, I've planned for two different afternoons, stay on the 37s or go elsewhere; I opt to move away - as fun as the coast is, it can be an effort for a full day. 350 407 then to Manchester.

1650 67022 next up and we’re off to Llandudno for tea before returning to Crewe.

1950 Not sure if I missed a service while planning or things are running late but instead of a wait at Crewe, I get straight on 221 103 to Birmingham New Street, my home for the night.

2150 The station looks different but instead of getting my bearings, I confidently walk out a random exit.

2210 One wrong turn and stubbornness stretched that walk out longer than it should, and it has started raining - perhaps remnants from that storm in Norwich. Anyway, Birmingham Central Backpackers - plenty of alarms set this time.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Aye it isn't the most friendliest of connections at Carlisle from the sleeper to the 05:15 loco hauled set towards the coast, considering that on a weekday the next service which goes south of Whitehaven isn't until the 08:XX service.

Sounded like a pleasant day, some good loco hauled action

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You poor soul using hostels! Ouch to not making the connection at Carlisle but there's a lesson in setting alarms!

chisj

I made it off the train at Carlisle with all my possessions and there nobody was on the platform to laugh at the state of me so all in all, could've been much worse.

Day 7 – Chilterns

0600 More or less living on energy drinks now; a pint in some dodgy rock bar to wind down last night seems ill advised now. 350 244 does the short hop to Smethwick Galton Bridge.

0615 Why don’t the departure boards show any Chiltern stuff?

0616 Oh, another platform upstairs

0617 A healthy jog to start the morning; now on board 172 221 to Rowley Regis.

0630 68013 starts the day proper south to Snow Hill; I’ll pick up this diagram later but on previous occasions, I’ve got stung by loco swaps. That said, an extra hour in bed was very tempting, I can just about see my hostel again.

0700 68008 takes us forward all the way to London Marylebone.

0900 Lovely to be in London again, I really missed the Metro crossword while up North. Plenty of time for a fry in that wee Greek cafe across the road too.

1000 68015 taking me north now; plan diverged here – either all the way to Birmingham and a quick jaunt to cover the Stourbridge shuttle or two return trips to Banbury.

1110 Basking in the sun and photting some freight through Banbury; Stourbridge can wait. 68009 going south now.

1310 And back north again.

1440 Everything sticking to diagram so I am on 68013 again, longer run this time.

1540 Time to kill in London before the slam-door set down working so I take 168 329 out to Wembley Stadium for a few photos before 165 035 back.

1721 68011 powering out of the capital, cans in hand, racing past commuters on the tube, this is the life...

1825 ...but over all too soon. 168 110 following us takes me the few miles to Banbury (again) for 68009 onwards to Birmingham. I hear from a mate his train south to London got cancelled, I never knew Chiltern ran late never mind cancelled things.

2025 Not long to cross Birmingham to New Street but I get a reasonably priced noodle based meal along the way before taking 170 521 to Leicester.

2125 222 019 is my ride north as far as East Midlands Parkway, 222 104 on to Derby and finally 222 021 to Sheffield.

2230 Almost an acceptable time to go to bed.

2245 Sheffield has some serious gradient issues, my hamstrings are on fire. Handily enough, the hotel texted me their door code and left the key on my bed so no time wasted checking in; shower and straight to bed.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was a long day, but thoroughly worth it for all that 68 action. The run on the slam-door set must have been incredibly good fun, only done it once myself but the racket was incredible!

Having not been to Sheffield in quite some time I can't comment on the gradients but I know the trams take on some monsters in various places.

Staying in a hostel, though, I couldn't do it again!

chisj

Sleep Hotel indeed.

On your own, hostels are much more economical than a hotel although they can be a pain somtimes.

Day 8 – Midland Mainline HSTs (The final day)

0445 Acceptable bed time = silly alarm call. Part of me thinks I should’ve done a unit to Worksop and back then dossed in the station for an hour or two, for all the sleep I got.

0530 43083+046 south to Derby, a lot of dropping back to start the day as I look to cover as many diagrams I can in a few short hours.

0640 Everything’s running a tad late due to signal issues somewhere which doesn’t bode well for later, for now 43048+075 south to Leicester.

0735 Quick breakfast at Leicester then 43049+073 on to Kettering where the HST moves end for a few hours.

0815 Delays have more or less killed my plan now, making the best of a bad situation, 43044+082 are taken all the way to St. Pancras – Corby / Melton Mowbray loop thing will still be there in 5 years anyway.

0950 Revised plan has some spare time in London so I dander across to King’s Cross to see what’s out. 91117 is taken to Peterborough.

1115 90029, we meet again on the trip back to London. A few minutes late makes me start to worry about the 15 minutes KGX/STP connection I am banking on.

1117 Suppose its 13 minutes when you factor in the barrier at St. Pancras closing two minutes before the departure time.

1202 Stopped in King’s Cross tunnels, 1200 Chieftain just passed us, 1203 Leeds definitely getting out before us now.

1210 1208 Newark given priority too, stepped onto platform at 12:10:35

1212 Half barrelled through ticket gates, half jumped then sprinting through throngs of tourists between the two stations.

1215 Made it, the barrier just closed but a very kind member of staff waves me through sensibly thinking my running will catch up with a woman dawdling up the platform. Departure on time to the second.

1230 It actually hurts to breathe - 43075+048 do the honours to East Midlands Parkway.

1345 Finally recovered, 222 016 rolls in behind, I could’ve taken this all the way from London if I’d missed the HST but that would be no fun at all.

1500 9½ hours late and I’m back in Sheffield. Sun still blasting as 185 113 comes in to take me to Manchester.

1505 Mostly full and standing but the rear coach was oddly quiet, either way I indulge myself with a power nap.

1650 Supply run at Manchester (mostly energy drinks at this stage) then some Deja-vu with 67022 to Llandudno.

1930 Still with 67022, returning as far as Rhyl

2035 For the first time in four years, this move works and 67029 rolls in on the WAG (Previously one cancellation, one failure, and a unit)

2110 Only a short run on the WAG as I bail at Bangor. The local Spoons is much more fun than whatever Holyhead has to offer for 4-5 hours.

0015 It suddenly dawns on me I have to work tomorrow (today) which should be a worry because I’ve had more pints than hours slept but I have a cunning plan.

0200 It works, the absolute misery of Holyhead port has an immediate sobering effect, I feel ready for work (also, I ply myself with a greasy fry-up in Dublin and a few more cans of energy drink on the 0735 Belfast).

Next GB trip was originally going to be the Skegness HST but due to work commitments that plan has morphed into something else over the August Bank Holiday weekend - a plan that ironically covers most of the East Midlands Rover area apart from Skegness.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That must have felt like an awfully long day! That run from Kings Cross to St Pancras would have crippled me, it must be said.

Very productive final day, that's for sure!

Kite159

Veteran Member
That must have felt like an awfully long day! That run from Kings Cross to St Pancras would have crippled me, it must be said.

Very productive final day, that's for sure!

Reminds me of the run me and BB21 did back in March from the HST tour arriving into Kings Cross to leg it onto an East Croydon bound 700 within a few minutes (to avoid half an hour fester or a trip to Victoria to try our luck with Southern running)

Sounded like a full last day of your trip.

chisj

Ireland

Motivated by reading the trip reports on here, especially Kite’s recent achievement, I decided to concentrate on visiting some stations myself – although I would be playing in easy mode and “scratching shacks” in Ireland. To set the scene - Irish Rail has (by my count) 144 stations and I’d ticked of 67 of them; my 67 being almost exclusively termini – a legacy of caring only about mileage as I trundled around the country behind 071s – and DART stations as I ticked off those units.

First things first, 5 remaining DART stations, I won’t go into the details but they were all on the Southside which is a rather picturesque line and covered in a leisurely Saturday morning when I was in Dublin for other reasons.

Planning wise, I figured I’d need 3 longs weekend to cover the remainder of my stations, making use of the Irish Rail 4-day trekker each time.

Despite being planned for quite a while now, I had to hold off booking as flooding had closed the Western Rail Corridor since the start of the year. As luck would have it, once this reopened, flooding had shut the line at Clonmel but I was impatient to get going so re-jigged my plan to get underway.

Trip 1, Day 1 - Friday

Comically early start Friday for the bus Belfast to Dublin - would’ve got the last train the previous night but work got in the way. Into Dublin by 5:30am and across to Heuston; first train is 0625 to Portlaoise but ticket office doesn’t open to half 6 and the ticket barriers were unstaffed so I buy a single to Cherry Orchard to get through. On board 22009 which is lovely and warm despite being first train of the day and I take a quick nap before alighting at Monasterevin. +2 here is the tightest connection of the weekend and we are a minute late but I make it across the footbridge without much bother. Short hop back to Kildare with 22037 to buy my trekker and grab some breakfast from the town before returning for 22005 to Clara. Tickets checked on board which is notable as I wouldn’t show my ticket again until Sunday morning.

40 minutes at Clara so I dander into the town to gather some supplies for later. 22027 next up taking me back up to Portarlington. At this stage, I am more or less killing time as I take 22062 to Portlaoise on the local then 22035 on to Limerick Jcn. Up Cork is late so I make a minus connection and travel all the way back to Heuston behind (or rather in front of) 232. Plan here was to revisit one of the two stations rebuilt during the four-tracking project but as I was now running early, I can do both. First off, 22021 out to Clondalkin Fonthill and then back with 22056 to Park West & Cherry Orchard. Rather inefficient jumping around all morning but it makes sense in my wider plans; today was really about Westport line which has an extra down train on a Friday. Getting there with 22044 out to Portarlington dropping back on to 22051 all the way to the exchange station of Manulla Jcn, this service uses Gaeshill loop which I’m sure I’ve had before but never recorded as my interest in loops, curves, crossovers etc... is rather fresh. 2815 on the branch takes me to Foxford; the town is a good mile away so I walk the other direction for a nice view of the surrounding hills to kill some time while the unit goes to Ballina and back. Jump on the other half of the two piece, 2816 on the trip back to Manulla then head back towards Dublin as far as Ballyhaunis with 22041. I could’ve went as far as Castlerea and done Ballyhaunis tomorrow morning giving me shorter waits but I preferred the hour at Ballyhaunis for tea.

PNB out of the way, I join the Fridays Only 1710 Heuston – Westport with 22040 as far as Castlebar for the relatively short drop back on to 22058 for the final few miles into Westport and a heavily anticipated sleep.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ah Ireland, a place I want to visit, but sadly due to work being a slight pain this year in terms of "we can't grant any holiday requests at the moment, so book at your own risk" due to a new member of senior management making various changes, means I'm not going to take the risk and book a holiday only for my request to be turned down 3 months down the line.

chisj

Christmas, Easter, and Summer are 'names in a hat' for leave were I work right now, so I gain lots of brownie points by volunteering to work them all - the rest of the year becomes much easier. I've worked in other places though were the team leader acts like they are doing you some kind of personal favour by approving a day off so I can feel your pain.

Day 2 – Saturday

Waking up refreshed, I head to the station for 22040 on the 0715 ex Westport as far as Roscommon. Nice little town and I grab some breakfast before 22015 brings me to Castlerea. Nothing much to do here and I feel I was correct in choosing Ballyhaunis for food last night. 22004 is up next to Athlone then switching between units as I needed them both, 22024 on to Tullamore. Always seems to be sunny in Tullamore and today is no exception so it is a pleasant 20 minutes or so before the Galway train arrives. 22035 will take me as far as Oranmore along with a train packed full of stags, hens, and birthday parties. Champagne & beer flowing but no trouble at all

On to the Western Rail Corridor now as 2810 takes me to Gort. Feels very like spring today as I relax in the town square before taking the bus to Ardrahan. The station here is a good walk from the town and the bus was no slower than the train, even without using the new motorway, so it is easy to see why this line is occasionally threatened with closure. 2804 turns up and brings me back to Oranmore were I will get a bus to Ballinasloe. I know I could’ve bailed at Craughwell for the same (or earlier) bus but for some reason in my planning, I opted not to. Bus was a bit late and Ballinasloe station is a fair bit out of the town so its a brisk walk as the station entrance is the far side of the barriers. The ex Galway is a couple late and with a staggered platform, my decision not to risk a crossing here works out. 22037 is my train west as far as Athenry were I source a pizza, then back on to the WRC with 22009 to Craughwell. Nice sunset with a few cans before 2811 returns to bring me to Galway for the night.

Day 3 – Sunday

I had pencilled in a silly early move involving a bus to get my final station between Galway and Limerick but the clocks jumping forward, and Galway nightlife put pay to that idea. Sunday instead started of with 22061 to Athenry. Lengthy delay awaiting the next train showcasing the best and worst of Irish Rail. Starting to get very frustrated when 2810 finally rolled in 45 minutes late as the electronic departure board had announced it departed on time while the Irish Rail website and phone numbers were closed for the weekend. 2810 is taken all the way to Limerick and surprisingly, 2817 on the shuttle to the Junction had been held, even more surprisingly, the Up Cork was held and departs 15 late.

I am going south though with 219 to Mallow as Sunday will be spent on the Tralee line. If you do this on a week day, make use of a bus, and risk a crossing over a footbridge, you could clear the line much faster but a lazy Sunday gets the job done nonetheless. First off, 22028 to Rathmore, Google maps shows a homely little bar right beside the station but it wasn’t serving food and didn’t look too inviting for a pint so I grab a salad box from the nearby filling station and whipped out the kindle for an hour. 22031 trundles in and I go back to Banteer, I was here for half an hour but can’t remember anything about the station. Full and standing 2603 comes in next and I’m tempted to tweak my plan to minimise my time on board but in the end, I push on through to Farranfore. Quick break here as I grab some “fast” food before joining 2604 (the other half of the 2 piece 2600). Nice views on this line, although all too soon it’s into Killarney where the train is again rammed. Glad to drop back at Millstreet on to the infinitely more comfortable 22037 onwards to Mallow. 22004 arrives to take me Cork, my base for the night. I’m staying only a few minutes from the station so dump my bag off and head out for a quick spin to tick off Carrigaloe on board 2612.

chisj

Day 4 – Monday

Early start for 2601/02 on the 0530 to Cobh, alighting at Fota as I continue to cover this line under the cover of darkness. Drop back at Littleisland on the return journey for the last miles into Cork with 2603. I was tempted to take the earlier non-stop service to Heuston but a loco-hauled breakfast as the sun rose was too hard to turn down. 219 has the honours and the fry is expensive enough but delicious. Into Heuston and I take the LUAS cross city then use the new line out to Broombridge, dropping back at Cabra since another tram was following – just in case I decide to move to light rail in the future. Back on the mainline, 22025 does the short hop from Broombridge to Drumcondra. Photo a 071 light engine before 29015 arrives in on the local which I take to its termini of Maynooth. Dropping back, I now take 22018 on a rather busy Sligo service to Mullingar. Dander along the tow path in Mullingar for a while and despite the long fester, have to hurry to get back for 22041 to Kilcock (notice set swaps between Heuston and Connolly sides). Short break here before 22042 arrives and I travel to Enfield. Long wait here but I had been recommended a cafe in the town that hits the spot with a home cooked dinner for a reasonable price. I also grab a sandwich for later before returning with 22020 all the way back to Connolly.

Not too long in Dublin before 29004 to Gormanstown. 29021 back to Rush & Lusk then taking advantage of the intensive service out of Dublin during the evening peak, take 29015 to Skerries and drop back for 29025 to Balbriggan, and drop back again for 29005 to Laytown. While waiting at Laytown, another train unloads a pile of commuters and 4 or 5 decide to cross the tracks to avoid a queue for the footbridge, about a minute later the Up Enterprise (Belfast) races through (90+ late due to bridge strike). Not sure if the offenders knew how close they were to disaster.

29013 takes me back to Donabate, my last new station of the weekend. At this point, the Down Enterprise had yet to come back north so I’ll be jumping on that at Drogheda or doing some odd move to let it pass. Turns out, it is the rare move as now on board 22052, we run wrong road (line is bi-directional round these parts) Skerries – Balbriggan. Killing time now so bail at Gormanstown for 29019 back to Rush & Lush – I could probably make Connolly as the next Belfast is also late but decide not to risk it. Hiding under a footbridge at Rush & Lusk as the rain has started, eventually 29006 takes me to Drogheda for 228 on to a very damp Belfast about 30 late.

End of trip stats
  • 33 new stations
  • 19 new units (didn’t mark them in red but starting off, I’d had very few Rotems / 22s)
  • 2 new bits of track (Skerries south crossover and Gaeshill kind of)

Established Member
A nice bit of Irish shack scratching, there.
I've not been to Ireland in over a decade, but you've brought back some good memories.
Thanks for posting.

chisj

Ireland Stations: Part 2

The second weekend of three to complete my required Irish stations and this one is by far the dullest which is why I’ve been putting off writing it up. Anyway, let’s get started.

Day 0

Getting in position today and after a half day in work, I jump on the Up Dublin with 207. Quick meal in Dublin then 22051 on the 1735 to Waterford. I could’ve stayed in work a little longer but the hostel in Waterford claims to have strict check-in times and the later service would have been tight.

Day 1

Absolute age to buy my 4-day trekker but eventually I get sorted then 22047 starts the trip proper on the 0720 service to the Junction which I take to Cahir. All four stations on this line are served by a regular bus between Waterford & Limerick so it’s surprising the train is not completely empty. I use the bus from Cahir to Tipperary (long way etc…) for the same unit back to Waterford. Two return trips a day on this branch so I leave via the mainline; just over 90 minutes in Waterford before the next service though, so I get some supplies in the town including a couple of books from a charity shop – these come in very handy later.

22007 takes me North to Carlow where I had hoped to make a connection but we are running slightly late and the Down leaves before the doors even open – 2 hours in Carlow then, annoying but doesn’t mess up my plans. 22047 again for the trip to Dublin where I grab some food before boarding the rammed 1800 Cork with 222 powering up front. This service has a connection at Ballybrophy onto the Nenagh branch where I join 2812.

I’ll stop here and explain where I went wrong. Firstly, for anyone who isn’t familiar, Ballybrophy – Limerick is 1’10 via Limerick Jcn but a sickening 2 hours for the 60ish miles along the branch; track condition and hundreds of accommodation crossings the main culprits. Anyway, when I was planning this, I drew up a rough schedule so I could book hotels and figured I would tidy my plan up nearer the time. Busyness and laziness meant I turned up with a workable but inefficient plan but I figured it all gets done anyway (you know what’s coming). Anyway, 2812 left me at Nenagh for a bus forward to Limerick. Staying in University halls in Limerick - almost half the price of anywhere else and only a few minutes from the station.

Day 2

Heading out on the branch again with 2817 this morning as far as Birdhill for a bus back to Limerick. During the boredom waiting for the bus (Birdhill is quite a nice village but there was a constant drizzle – this was a month ago), I consider a much more efficient way to tackle this line.

Back in Limerick, I take 2811 to the Junction for 22031 South to Cork. Finishing off the stations on the Cork branches with 2612 to Glounthaune then dropping back on to 2610 onwards to Carrigtwohill. Short wait as the set goes to Midleton then back into Cork. 221 is shoving me back to the Junction and 2811 on the shuttle again. Branch line fun again with 2801-2802 on the stagger to Roscrea and back. Enough time at Roscrea for a bit of dinner and a few cans to pass the time.

Day 3

22063 starts the day on the 0650 Ennis which I take to Sixmilebridge for a short wait before returning to Limerick. Only one train on the Nenagh branch on Sundays so I am just killing time for a few hours. I take 22036 to Thurles taking the direct curve at Limerick Jcn, been a while since I used this. 22032 South to Charleville which falls under “definitely been here before but incomplete early records say otherwise.” Busy platforms with people waiting for a GAA special but I flag it and wait for 218 on the Dublin which I take to Limerick Junction. 226 to Mallow, 221 back to the Junction, as I said, killing time. 2820 on the shuttle back to Limerick city then a bus to Daly’s Cross. Short walk from the main road into Castleconnell village. Long wait here as I didn’t want to risk a tight connection later as you arrive on the wrong side of a manual level crossing. I find a nice pub and watch that Gaelic match the special was heading to earlier with a few pints before 2811 arrives to take me to Cloughjordan to finish this god awful branch. Except, we stagger only a few miles before the train is cancelled at Birdhill – signal failure the reason cited. A replacement bus is organised very fast but it’s no use to me so I get the service bus back to Limerick spending every moment dwelling on how I could’ve cleared the line the day before if I’d planned things better. Quick spin out the Junction and back with 2805-2806 and I needed the latter then off to bed.

Day 4

Tempted to do Cloughjordan this morning but it would take so long, it would destroy my original plan. Start out to Portlaoise with 22038 – hoped to grab breakfast here but the town hasn’t woken up yet. 222 takes me back to the Junction for a bus move to Clonmel, 22004 turns up and takes me to Carrick-on-Suir, this branch has been much smoother. Tightish bus connection at Carrick but made easily and like Friday, I have 90 minutes or so in Waterford. 22003 today and again we are a few minutes late so I’d say that Carlow connection rarely makes off the 1305. I am travelling only as far as Muine Bheag though for 22049 back to Thomastown thus completing the Waterford line (although Athy may need a revisit under Charleville rules). Per diagram, the Tipp branch set 22004 is next railcar North and I take this to Kildare. Drop back here on to a stopping service, 22010 to Hazelhatch. Dropping back again, this time using the bay platform for 22019 through the tunnel to Drumcondra.

Now on the Maynooth commuter line; hourly during the day but a very intensive service at peak periods. Moves see me drop back a few times, minimal waiting at each station so I’ll recap.
29014 to Ashtown
29008 to Coolmine
22058 to Dunboyne

That brings me on to the M3 Parkway branch where I re-join 22058 to Hansfield. Homeward bound now with 22045 but via M3 Parkway as Hansfield was a dump (more or less a massive Park & Ride but with groups of feral kids hanging around trashing the place). 208 finishes the trip taking me back to Belfast.

One more weekend to go but first, my annual week spent on the rails around GB starting in a few days time.

End of trip stats
  • 18 new stations
  • 10 new units
  • 1 new bits of track (Hazelhatch bay)

chisj

Wrote this in August but for some reason, forgot to post it until now. Hope you enjoy a little taste of summer now the weather is cold again and people are thinking of Christmas

Part 1

My annual ‘big trip’ around GB; as usual, I aim to cover lots of loco-hauled turns while ticking off lines for coverage; bit more focus on the latter this year as I get closer to completing all lines.

To take full advantage of the July bank holidays in Northern Ireland, I had booked a flight to leave on the evening of 11 July straight from work. I also had planned to do a Steam / Deltic railtour on the 21 July so one rolled into the other.

Low key compared to previous years, but still disruptive riots are breaking out across Belfast as I leave. The road to the airport is closed briefly but I get in beforehand and am off the East Midlands. Arriving into Nottingham and with the football on, the town is eerily deserted while every bar is filled to the rafters apart from a Wetherspoons with no TV. Grad a quick pint just for the novelty of drinking in such an empty bar before hitting my hostel. Bit of a negotiation about key deposit as I would be gone before the front desk opened.

Day 1 starts very similar to last year as I try to cover every EMT HST diagram. Start the day off on the 0532 ex NOT heading South and dropping back at East Mids Parkway then Loughborough where I pick up 43066 - 1 down, 3 to go excluding the ex-GC ones. Déjà vu at Leicester as delays are threatening connections but I learn from last year and take 222 017 to Wellingborough; my plan gave me two bites of the cherry at the diagram that would’ve seen a tight (missed) connection at W’boro. Back north to Leicester and I take advantage of more delays to grab some refreshments before whizzing into London. Not much time in St Pancras so I stay on the platform before heading north again; gripped for the first time (used side gates at Leicester to exit as they were closer to the food places) and embarrassingly notice I’d forgotten to fill in the box on my Inter-rail. Back at Leicester, I take 43064 (2 to go) to Market Harborough for the first real break of the day. As I was flying, I take the opportunity to get some supplies from the supermarket close by – primarily smelly stuff as the sun is beating down something ferocious.

Dud 43083+032 finish the standard HST diagrams for the day so I’ll have to organise a further trip for the final 2 Power Cars some time. More Meridian-ness north to Derby for the ex-Grand Central set; a pair of these required and I’d heard 1 is in service, the other isn’t. No luck with the first diagram south to Loughborough. Returning to Derby to kill some time before taking 222 008 on the service to Kettering via Corby, a line I keep meaning to cover but kept missing until now. From Kettering, HST power again with 43049+083 to Nottingham to catch the other ex-GC diagram. On paper, I’ve half an hour break at Nottingham but we get delayed a few minutes so I phone in a pizza order for collection from a place beside the station. Happiness of a pizza is somewhat tempered as 222 103 is covering for a failed HST set, bleugh! Back in Leicester again for a quick hop onto 170 105 to Birmingham for the night. Jump off at Nuneaton and go into Birmingham via Rugeley just for something different and with so little had around these parts, almost guaranteed two new units.

Heat is stifling, even at night so I was going to shower in the morning but Central Backpackers wanted £5 deposit for a towel and I wasn’t getting that back at 6am so I shower at night then wake up sweaty and sticky again; sleeper tonight too so liberal use of the smelly stuff will be needed along the way. Day 2 was originally a copy/paste from my 2017 trip but I amended a few things along the way. 172s out to The Hawthorns for 68013 up to Leamington Spa, dropping back to 68011 the rest of the way to Marylebone. Quick spin to Banbury and back with 68015 and 68008. Usually, I would stick with the 68s but I decided to cover the Aylesbury line so it was 165 039 to Aylesbury Vale Parkway and back to the town. Barriers in place at Aylesbury so took a while to attract attention of the busy ticket office person to exit, then across to the supermarket – in theory to get lunch – in practice to be frustrated at their lack of lunch options. Returned to London via Princes Risborough taking in a few stations and units along the way. Wonder if anyone has ever bought a ticket from Dereham Golf Club to Par? Good gen online so I knew winner 68012 was on the slam door set which I take in full to Banbury (being a Friday). 168 002 back to Bicester North and a brisk walk through the town to Bicester Village to intercept the Oxford working. Originally I had planned an XC move Banbury – Oxford as I still need the Oxford Parkway – Oxford bit of track but the ongoing blockade blitzed that idea. On a more positive note, I grab some food from a chippy in Bicester, although the girl serving didn’t know what a supper meant.

Back in London (Up Oxford Parkway was 68015 again) I had planned a move to Euston by walking between Wembley Stadium and Wembley Central. The plan gave me a good bit of time for food but since I had ate in Oxford, I used Overground and Underground to tick off some stations – falling were Harlesden, Stonebridge Park, South Kenton, and Kilburn High Street. I could’ve done more but the Overground services were all showing as delayed by around 20 mins. On a line with a train every 20 minutes, they were effectively on time but I figured there would be a big gap at some point and I didn’t want to miss the sleeper. Speaking of which, 90047 leads me North tonight.

Lesson learnt from last year; alarm wakes me up just south of Carlisle. Early arrival so I would’ve easily made the 37s in the old timetable, as it is, you have an hour or so now for winner 37402. This line tests my patience at times so I bailed at Aspatria for a bus move but it was early, late, or non-existent so I spent a pleasant hour or so with the cockerels on Aspatria platform. The only ‘disruption’ being a pair of 68s on a flask train before more 68s took me to Carlisle. 68003 led North, my rules over red-penning locos meant I had to stay on for 68017 South to Dalston for a unit back to Carlisle. A wedged 350 405 (is there any other kind of TPE service?) turns up and I take it to Oxenholme to cover the Windermere branch. Pity I was not a week or two earlier for the WCRC loco-hauled service but it gets done. At this point, I had plans to carry on around the area but Northern’s ahem…. issues changed my mind so I was heading south – very south. 350 408 next which made the earlier 350 look quiet; I squeezed off at Preston onto 390 155 with air con only working in alternate coaches.

Walk across to St Pancras and I ticked off some 700s on bus stop moves before heading to Bickley as I made a start on a number of lines in the SET area, a place I have barely touched so winners galore. Travelling from Bickley on to Orpington, I wish I’d brought my rail atlas – the number of lines around here – especially for someone who doesn’t know the area is bewildering. Although I do record the lower level details of my moves, my coverage target (for now) is the higher level map as seen in the General Discussion forum. 465 002 from Orpington on to Sevenoaks where I pick up the 700 from earlier (045) back North via Otford. Bailing at Bromley South, I then headed East to cover the Sheerness-on-Sea branch; oddly enough there was revenue protection on this train, quiet as it was, although very few customers seemed to have tickets so maybe it wasn’t that surprising. I was then planning some High Speed action that would take in the Margate / Dover loop but a track circuit failure had just materialised so I abandoned that plan and turned at Faversham. Dropped back a couple of times to score some units then arrived at Dartford where 465 236 failed with a door fault. On board announcements, platform announcements, PIS, and RTT all gave different stories so I hung around near steps ready to run to a train going to London; glad I did as not everyone made it and the service was winding down, it being Saturday evening and some lines already closed due to engineering work. Jumped off a London Bridge straight onto a train to Victoria which was the slowest, most boring trundle I’ve experienced in quite a while. Hostel near Victoria station, strange set-up as it was advertised as a backpackers place but my room was 2-man and the other guy had set his half up like he was living there. Anyway, sleep, shower, day 4.

I got up early with the intention of doing a few moves before the day’s plan got started but 377 119 took so long to Clapham Jcn, I was worried I would miss my train so I just sat around watching the comings and goings before 159 102 rolled in. Took this through to Exeter - changing units to 159 008 along the way as I needed both. Fast run through suburban London then empty train + good Wi-Fi so I stuck on Spotify to pass the time. I seem to remember a wee greasy spoon café near Exeter Central but all I saw this time was fancy coffee shops and an all you can eat breakfast buffet – tempting but no time for that. 153 361 up the hill to St Davids where I would be doing my last branch in the South West; Barnstaple. Pair of 143s with no air-con and another scorching day is not a great combination. GWR long distance timetable was a bit threadbare due to staff shortages as it was World Cup Final Day so I winged a few HST moves along the sea wall then ended up in Tiverton Parkway for the first time. Nice station with freezing cold water taps and a wee shop so I got some food while I planned my next move. I wanted to avoid the bus around Bristol but every HST so far had been a combination of wedged, short-formed, backwards, broken air-con, caped. A cynic would say GWR are running down old stock to make the new IEP stuff appear better. Anyway, with the Bristol blockade, I had forgot about the XC HSTs until one rolled up while I was still jotting down a plan so I jumped on – quiet on board and refreshingly cool as I took it on the diversionary route to Swindon via Bristol Temple Meads. From Swindon, I took 43174+129 to Newport, falling back on to 43094+186 to Cardiff for the night. 3 out of 4 winners there, thanks GWR, sorry about the bad things I said earlier. 9-bed dorm to myself, and based on the immaculate state of the shared shower room, not too many others in the other rooms. Go out for a late meal and pint in Cardiff; surprisingly lively for a Sunday.

Early start (just for a change) on board 175 116, my home for several hours as I go out to Milford Haven – PSUL move included. Station is more or less in a supermarket car park but a massive downpour keeps me from leaving the platform so straight back to Pembrey & Burry Port for a late breakfast then drop back on to 150 208 for the short hop to Llanelli. 150 250 is next up, another unit which I will call home for several hours as I go to Fishguard Harbour; out via the Carmarthen avoider, returning via the Swansea District lines. Took the opportunity at Fishguard to walk back to Goodwick station, not enough time to use the café but will save me some time if I ever focus on stations.

Leave the 150 at Port Talbot for a few back and forward moves ticking in some units, 43009, and Neath. Back in Cardiff, I grabbed food in Wetherspoons and a few cans for the WAG - tonight in the capable hands of 67010. The last time I used this service, the food on board was limited so although I would usually treat myself, I played it safe since I had some spare time in Priffdinas. Sweet GM music all the way to Chester, was planning to go a station more but the other 67 diagram was a unit so took the opportunity to make Crewe earlier and clear a line that I missed back in January due to signal failure. From Crewe, it was 153 385 to Stoke-on-Trent; surprisingly long wait to keep time at Alsager. Almost missed 390 136 at Stoke due to slow lifts which I took to Manchester (the Pendolino, not the lift). 323 229, winning unit (first since an 800 off Neath 7 hours earlier) to Stockport then dropping back on to 158 835 to Crewe.

chisj

Part 2

Day 6 starts of, or rather day 5 ends, with required 92023 on the sleeper, 73966 working onwards to Kirkcaldy. Maybe I am acclimatising to the heat but Kirkcaldy feels quite cool at 5am; fortunately the waiting room is opened and I ponder the Metro crossword. “Sophisticated, urbane” and the letters I have filled in give SVELTE. All my answers look good but something is wrong. Anyway, 170 action for a while as I go to North for the service that works Markich –> Dunfermline line for the final part of the triangle around Glenrothes. I used to never care about curves and other minutiae but this one is quite familiar and I didn’t have to go out the way for it; and I feel I will eventually care about them – although my first BLS tour is some years off. Moving on, 170 to some station round the loop for another 170 back – you get the picture. Finally, as the rain was picking up, winner 68006 rolls in which I take to Rosyth then drop back for non-winner 68007 to Haymarket. The shop outside Haymarket (Scotmid I think) sells me cold sausage rolls – do Scottish people like this or did they just forget to cook them?

I deviated from my plan here as I was going to race to Glasgow then spend some time on the Oban line but the rolling stock situation of the E&G encouraged me to reconsider. I did a few moves covering 380s and 365s on this route with the bonus of Polmont and Croy stations. Then after a (not raw) lunch, I boarded 156 492 all the way to Oban. Again, my plan was to retrace my steps but I hadn’t done the Fort William line in full in 5 years and it is probably my favourite so I took the bus to Fort William. Tenuous railway connection here as the bus was branded for the Oban connection of the sleeper. Around 2 hours in Fort William so I grabbed my traditional Haggis, Neeps, Tatties and Doom Bar on tap J. Still had time to kill and it was a nice night so I walked out to Banavie. I am happy to tick of stations if they are there but I have no firm intentions to really chase the awkward ones – still, times like this encourage you as the walk was nice and Banavie station was very picturesque with the canal locks and mountains. 156 474 back into Fort William for 73967 on the seats to Glasgow. Perfect dusk lighting for a spectacular journey, one I could do many times over without getting bored; maybe it was this happiness overflowing but I swear the 73 sounded pretty good at times.

Day 7 - using a Strathclyde Daytripper today so a rare lie-in and relaxed breakfast. Weird scratch-card type ticket; start off with the 0904 service to Ayrshire to get full value, dropping back at Johnstone for 380 018 into Ardrossan Harbour. Another short walk here as I board again from Ardrossan Town back to Paisley Gilmour Street. 314 213 next to Gourock and back as far as Paisley St James. Heading out again on Gourock services dropping back at Bishopton and Port Glasgow before picking up 314 216 on to Wemyss Bay – not pronounced how I was expecting. Turns out Svelte was correct but I am stumped again today with long-snouted mammal. Try cheating by commenting to fellow passengers that I saw a long-snouted mammal running alongside the train but my ploy doesn’t work. Back to the railway, hop, skip, jump across Glasgow and its 158 869 to Cumbernauld, a small bit of new track here as previously travelling from Falkirk on this line, I bailed at Springburn for the other way into Glasgow QS LL. Not paying attention at Cumbernauld, I get on the wrong service but it really just means I drop back and tick off Greenfaulds. From there, on to Motherwell with 318 255 then back to Bellshill. It’s clear now what moves I was doing but at the time, I wished I had brought my rail atlas (again) to see where I was headed. From Bellshill, it was 320 320 to Lanark then 318 268 back to Motherwell. Nearly completed Scotland coverage now (albeit with a big asterisk for PSUL, loops, platforms etc…) as I head to Blantyre then both the Hamiltons as I kill time before the retimed and diverted Larkhall service rolls in. 320 308 has the honours; what should be celebrating an achievement (minor as it is), I can only think of all those asterisks – suppose this is how people get deeper into the hobby. Continuing, back to Glasgow, another cross city dander then 158 735 to Perth, was considering buying a ticket on board from wherever my daytripper ends to Perth but I had time so grabbed a return (cheaper than a single) from the machine. Then for the first time all day, I wasn’t gripped (yet was between Hamilton Central and Hamilton West earlier for example).

Another ‘sleeper’ as the lovely GM sounds of required 67016 brings me South to Edinburgh for actual sleeping on required 90043 onwards. Plan this morning was a general cleanup or lines around North London starting with St Albans branch but I heard 67013 has turned up to work the North Wales diagram so I (reluctantly) set an alarm to get off the sleeper at Crewe to catch it. Quick out and back to Holmes Chapel to kill time and score 323 231 / 234 and the station then as advertised, 67013 to Chester. Staying on board back to Warrington where I left it for 390 117 on to Euston. Tube across to Paddington for 387s out and back to Ealing Broadway before joining a practically empty 165 001 on the Chiltern service to High Wycombe. News is, this is going via Greenford in future so nice to travel on it beforehand. Onwards to Leamington Spa where I join 165 014 to Stratford-upon-Avon, more new lines for me. Too warm for a brisk walk so I hang around the station for 172 220 back to Birmingham and a spot of lunch before 68013 south to London – mercifully with working air con, I nab a leftover Metro – what the heck is a Tapir. Quick tube across London for Kings Cross and 387 120 to Cambridge; something about an evening peak train racing down the busy ECML feels great – 12-piece too which is neato. Quick out and back to Cambridge North then the following service to Ely where again I phone ahead to get food during a short stopover; even had enough time to visit the supermarket for a couple of cans to wash down my curry. 170 205 up next across the country to Stowmarket; winner 90006 on the Norwich and I feel lucky so bail at Diss so I can return to Stowmarket for 2 extra 90s. Neither is required but for the sake of 2 hours, worth the gamble.

Day 9, most expensive accommodation of the trip and I’m in bed for less than 5 hours. Get another 40 winks on 153 309 out to Sheringham then watch the line on the return trip. Same unit out to Great Yarmouth via Berney Arms, bailing at Brundall on the return for the 37s. 37419 leading to Great Yarmouth and 37405 leads us back to Norwich for a PNB before 170 207 to Lowestoft. 156 416 brings me back way to Ipswich, then I cover the Felixstowe branch before 90003 south to Manningtree and then out to Harwich Town. Winner 90012 appears for the run Manningtree to Colchester where I cover the Clacton-on-Sea line. Late change of plan here and I am forced to skip Walton-on-Naze and a few other branches for now so I take a combination of 321s into London. Disgustingly warm tube across to Paddington and a super rushed food move but I make the 1944 Plymouth with 43097+010 which I take all the way West. Short break in Plymouth then 57603 appears on the UP sleeper. A combination of mileage move and couldn’t find cheap accommodation in London move.

Day 10, due to the heat wave, the Tornado tour from Kings Cross to Newcastle for D9009 back was cancelled so I decided to hang around London for most of the day. I ticked off the remaining GEML branches (sans Walton-on-Naze) in the morning; I won’t bore you all with the details. Finished off in Southend Victoria for the walk across to Central then covered the C2C network in the afternoon. Liberal use of free Wi-Fi as I had no plan today. Finishing off C2C on the line via Grays with 357 042, I bailed at Upminster for 315 802 across to Romford and my first 345 into Liverpool Street. Scorchio 317 344 out to Hackney Downs, changing units made little difference so I suffer in silence until Broxbourne and then out to Hertford East with 317 670. Walk across the town and the timings don’t allow a return to Stevenage so I head into Finsbury Park with 313 024 then a 387 for the final mile into Kings Cross. 43309+315 takes me north to Peterborough for a quick bite to eat before 43295+277 the rest of the way to York. Short break before 185 127 to Leeds where an unadvertised change of train on to winner 185 101 on to Manchester Airport.

Day 11, trip is finally coming to an end(ish). 185 124 on the first train back to Leeds starts the day. The Derby blockade had just begun so I took the first train over the diversion with 43321+207 as far as Burton-on-Trent. Voyager back to Wakefield Westgte which isn’t as fun then deck chair at the station for a while until required 91121 turns up – I take this to Doncaster. 91128 back to Wakefield and 90036 finally finishes the trip heading back to Doncaster where I get the bus out to winner airport, DSA.

Day 12, once I heard the tour was cancelled, I modified my Inter-Rail ticket (now plural) and caped plans for a few local rovers. This gave me a lot more flexibility and saved me a few shekels on accommodation by dossing on sleepers and Manchester Airport. It also gave me a spare day so I booked the cheapest flights to GB and back and worked a quick plan for the following weekend. So - Friday afternoon, straight outta work, I am flying to Edinburgh. Rough plan was sleeper to London then spend the day on LNER chasing required 91s and HSTs. Then I heard 37401 was on the Cumbrian Coast so got a bus to Carlisle instead. Grim few hours hanging around but the sweet sounds of a required 37 would make it all worthwhile. Then it was caped. Plan B was to hop across to Newcastle, but this service was cancelled as the unit was being sent to Barrow instead. I took the next service to Newcastle (not long to wait in fairness). Chaos at Newcastle due to massive disruption on the ECML previous night but eventually I get on board first of 8 winners for the day. I won’t bother listing the detail so skip forward to mid evening arrival into King’s Cross then dandering across to Euston and out to Watford Junction to intercept a tour led by required 90020 on a short hop back into Euston. Called it a night in a nice hostel with a discounted bar for guests. Had a few duck IPA, or goose IPA or something to finish off the day.

Day 13, Paddington >> Reading and back all day using a local Rover. A few 387s and 800s but mostly HSTs, scoring a sizeable chunk of my required list – 16!! in total. Failure around Swindon meant my final service was comically wedged but I persevered as I was scooting across to Euston for an advance to Birmingham Airport and a few hours kip before heading home. Slight delay around Milton Keynes and the tiredness crept up on me so it turned out to be a VSTP move to New Street for a night bus to the airport.

Skymonster

Established Member
Wow... My head would be spinning after doing all of that in such a short timeframe.

chisj

Ireland Stations Part 3 of 3: Another trip report I forgot to post

Welcome to the third and final part of my travels around Ireland to complete the Irish Rail stations. Early o’clock bus to Dublin for 29014 out to Lexlip Louisa Bridge on the first Maynooth service of the day. Barriers in operation at Connolly but the ticket office was not yet open so I was forced to travel gratis for the first couple of moves. Same unit back to Navan Road Parkway. Starting to get busier now as the morning rush picks up and I join 22045 to Lexlip Confey. All these modern commuter stations are practically the same, it feels like Irish Rail bought a bunch of flat pack stations from IKEA or something. 29022 finishes the line as I tick off Castleknock. First sign of manned ticket facilities of the day but the attendant can’t sell me a Trekker, then acts as if I am top of the FBI most wanted list when I suggest I travel to Maynooth for free to try and purchase one there. 29013 brings me on to Maynooth where I go through the usual rigmarole:

- That ticket doesn’t exist (debate ensues)
- I can’t sell that ticket from this machine (further debate)
- OK, I’ll ring someone who knows what code to enter

29014 again, now on a Sligo service to Carrick-on-Shannon; long wait here so I get a hearty breakfast before 22026 brings me back south to Edgeworthstown. Tightest connection of the trip here but it is generally safe as UP trains always have a few minutes dwell time at this station. Then it is 22018 to Dromod, another lengthy wait but it is a nice town to walk around with the marina etc… Returning all the way to Dublin on board 29014 and a bite of lunch.

The Rosslare line has 5 services a week day, going south at 0933, 1333, 1633, 1733, 1835. To take advantage of the grouping in the evening peak (and reverse the following morning), I was doing this trip Thursday – Sunday to give me two consecutive week days. DART move to Bray dropping back at Dalkey to add some variety to the day then 29026 to Kilcoole. Walk along the beach for a while but the rain starts so I get shelter under a tree in the car park - not many facilities at this station. 22011 onwards to Rathdrum and quick dash across for 22008 back to Wicklow – this would turn out to be my only winning unit of the trip. 22026 finishes the day taking me to Enniscorthy where it is now a downpour. Limited accommodation options so it’s a fancy (and chingy) hotel, not that I spend much time in it as day 2 begins rather early.

Bus to Gorey next morning and its freezing as I hang around for the 0550 departure with 22011. Short trip on this unit to Arklow and completion of this line. Hadn’t banked on making the connection at Rathdrum yesterday so some spare time is used to stay on board 29026 all the way to Dundalk, ticking off the bay platform before returning on the same unit to Connolly. Spin out to Clonsilla then M3 Parkway for Clonsilla bay then returning to Dublin to mess about on the DART for an hour or so, really just killing time before 22027 in and out of bay number 3 for the day at Grand Canal Dock. Quick bite to eat then a very packed out LUAS across to Heuston for the 1800 Cork behind 221. Completely rammed but I manage to nab a seat and crack open a few cans until Ballybrophy. If you read the last report, you will know my frustration around the Nenagh line so its fingers crossed there are no more farces as I board 2820 to Cloughjordan – relieved more than anything to tick this station off. Two buses a week are the other transport options from this town so I was happily surprised to find a hostel nearby. Note on the door tells me the owner has gone out to a concert so I let myself in. Still deserted the next morning so I leave a few Euro by the desk not having seen one person my entire stay – Cloughjordan is obviously not a big tourist resort in late September.

Day 3 starts with a bus substitution to Roscrea then another bus to Ballybrophy. Still arrive into Ballybrophy 15 minutes earlier than the train would have – suppose that happens when the train trundles around at 20mph. Considerably faster 222 takes me to Portlaoise via Portlaoise Down Loop due to engineering work shutting the UP line between Portlaoise and Portarlington. It’s then 219 all the way to Cork for 2611 to Rushbrooke – really should have ticked this off before but the times meant it was missed until now – although with the engineering work, I didn’t have many alternative options anyway. 22038 back up to Portarlington – Cork services to stopping here due to the aforementioned engineering work. Transfer on to the Galway line with 22042 to Athenry and a pizza. 22042 returns and I bail at Attymon for an hour wait for 22036 all the back to Heuston. Attymon is another station with massive gaps in service so an hour wait is very acceptable.

Day 4 - no plan Sunday morning so I engage in some time killing moves on the Connolly side until lunch time and 29020 on the Sligo line to Collooney. PA was muffled so I have no idea why we were 40 late but the limited passing options on the Sligo line keeps my plan intact somehow. 29009 takes me back to Boyle, the delays now static at 20 minutes each train, ok for moves but risky if you wanted to leave a station for food. Finally, the 29000 action on the Sligo line ends and 22045 takes me to the last required station on the Irish Rail network – Ballymote. The trip then ends with 22041 back to Connolly, and even with the delays, we still get to use Killucan loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.