• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ranking three southern England preserved railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
In September I aim to knock off the Bluebell, Spa Valley Railway and Kent and East Sussex Railway over three days, commencing the day after my evening arrival.

It's complicated as some only operate on weekends at that time of year, not Fridays, but if I had to ditch one and had a choice (i.e. plane delayed a day due to bad weather or an aircraft failure), which one would you suggest?

Please rank these from 1 to 3 in terms of what you perceive as attractive to rail enthusiasts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelphDonkey

How are you travelling? The Spa Valley is possibly the least attractive, but the K&ESR is the hardest to get to by public transport.

railfan99

Established Member
How are you travelling? The Spa Valley is possibly the least attractive, but the K&ESR is the hardest to get to by public transport.

I have worked out how to get to and from K&ESR: hourly bus stops at Tenterden's The Vine, with a recently reinstalled sign pointing the 400 metres to the railway station.

Spa Valley is the shortest, but easy to get to (despite the lack of or paucity of Sunday morning main line trains IIRC) as I booked accommodation at Tonbridge.

Thank you for the tip. Long wins over short most times for those of us who want to cover as much trackage as possible.

bramling

Veteran Member
In September I aim to knock off the Bluebell, Spa Valley Railway and Kent and East Sussex Railway over three days, commencing the day after my evening arrival.

It's complicated as some only operate on weekends at that time of year, not Fridays, but if I had to ditch one and had a choice (i.e. plane delayed a day due to bad weather or an aircraft failure), which one would you suggest?

Please rank these from 1 to 3 in terms of what you perceive as attractive to rail enthusiasts.

In all honesty I’d say there really isn’t anything between them. The Bluebell and K&ESR are longer, whilst the Spa Valley has slightly more in the way of diesel stock. The Spa Valley also has the option of having a walk round Tunbridge Wells, with a disused railway tunnel nearby if that’s of any interest.

williamn

I think the K&ESR has a unique rural character. The Bluebell has beautiful stations and more of a mainline feel. I think Spa Valley is the most missable, as much as it pains me to say it! It is very easy to get to however.

davetheguard

Established Member
I think the K&ESR has a unique rural character. The Bluebell has beautiful stations and more of a mainline feel. I think Spa Valley is the most missable, as much as it pains me to say it! It is very easy to get to however.

I think this sums it up very well.

If you like history, Bodiam castle is also worth a visit, and Tenterden is a pleasant small town.

The Bluebell's stations have been restored to a high standard (apart from the new East Grinstead terminus), and the railway is well-known for its preservation of very old locos & coaches that you can't travel behind/in anywhere else; no wall-to-wall B.R. Mk 1s here!

Sorry Spa Valley, you've been knocked into third place by some very strong opposition.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Spa valley does of course have a 207 thumper with the only surviving original centre car which makes it a winner for me.

That said, the Bluebell has a thumper as well now. Does it still have the 4COR ?

I think this sums it up very well.

If you like history, Bodiam castle is also worth a visit, and Tenterden is a pleasant small town.
However, if you want to be sure of travel in a pre Grouping design carriage you will need to go to the Isle of Wight

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As you're saying Southern England, have you considered the Mid Hants?
Personally i'd rate that way above the other 3.
That's as maybe, but the Mid Hants is not exactly nearby to the other three heritage lines. Best part of 80+ miles away from East Sussex / Kent.

telstarbox

Established Member
I have worked out how to get to and from K&ESR: hourly bus stops at Tenterden's The Vine, with a recently reinstalled sign pointing the 400 metres to the railway station.

Spa Valley is the shortest, but easy to get to (despite the lack of or paucity of Sunday morning main line trains IIRC) as I booked accommodation at Tonbridge.

Thank you for the tip. Long wins over short most times for those of us who want to cover as much trackage as possible.
Where abouts are you staying in Tonbridge?

PGAT

Established Member
You also have the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway in Southern England as well

railfan99

Established Member

Thanks to your suggestion, I have changed my itinerary to include it on the frist full day I'm in the UK, and have deleted Spa Valley. Thanks also to PGAT for suggestions that as always are helpful and kind.

Where abouts are you staying in Tonbridge?

Rose Crown, a Best Western 'coaching inn' that receives mixed online reviews. 700 metres from the railway station, so an easy walk.

Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member

trainmania100

Established Member
Depends if you're arfter diesel or steam.
1) Bluebell is probably best for the views and running distance, I like that they now have a 73.

2) spa valley used to be fantastic for diesel variety, I think it's still quite good. Especially when they have galas

3) I've always seen KESR quite limited in terms of stock, but it's a nice line.

RichJF

Depends if you're arfter diesel or steam.
1) Bluebell is probably best for the views and running distance, I like that they now have a 73.

2) spa valley used to be fantastic for diesel variety, I think it's still quite good. Especially when they have galas

3) I've always seen KESR quite limited in terms of stock, but it's a nice line.
Bluebell is catching up & realising that they need non-steam locos for times when coal is limited (price/supply) or steam is banned (weather). They have the 73 & also a 33 & 207 under overhaul.

Bluebell is best for the overall experience - larger mainline feel, more established & used to tourists & within 100m of the National Rail station.

K&ESR is beautiful & better for the typical Southern light railway branch experience.

Spa Valley line history is fascinating & has the widest variety of diesel/steam.

zwk500

Veteran Member
You also have the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway in Southern England as well
And the Sittingbourne & Kemsley - both Narrow Gauge and very different in character.
To add to the list of Heritage lines in the area is the Lavender Line, which I've always found very charming and extremely welcoming, although Kids probably get a lot more out of it than adults as it's only got a mile or so of track and shuttles up and down. It's just south of Uckfield in the lovely village of Isfield, not very far from Sheffield Park on the Bluebell.

Status
Not open for further replies.