• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading Buses and Thames Valley

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Four ADL Enviro200 MMCs have been delivered for routes 171/172 (three in dedicated two-tone blue route livery and one generic spare) so the days of the Volvos are numbered.

684 - YX73 PGZ 171/172
685 - YX73 PHZ "
686 - YX73 OYN "
687 - TV73 BUS generic
Are there any photos of these available online yet? Particularly intrigued by YX73 OYN as that was only fairly recently delivered to Lakeside Coaches in full fleet livery.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Are there any photos of these available online yet? Particularly intrigued by YX73 OYN as that was only fairly recently delivered to Lakeside Coaches in full fleet livery.
I think 686 is meant to be YY73 OYN. It's on DVLA as a blue ADL.

nctd2306

1210 has been (presumably) wrapped in a new Charity livery, replacing its former Lion 4/x4 colours. I'm guessing that this means the new Enviro 400 cities aren't too far away from introduction as it means that they now only have 6 lions for 8 diagrams/duties with the existing fleet...

(photo from Robert Williams on X)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240118-092632.png
    Screenshot_20240118-092632.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

cactustwirly

Established Member
1210 has been (presumably) wrapped in a new Charity livery, replacing its former Lion 4/x4 colours. I'm guessing that this means the new Enviro 400 cities aren't too far away from introduction as it means that they now only have 6 lions for 8 diagrams/duties with the existing fleet...

(photo from Robert Williams on X)
There's always been spares on that route anyway

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I was under the impression that 684 would be too, making three 171/2 branded buses, which would make sense as that's the number of buses they need for the service
Correct. Robert Williams of Reading Buses has posted the following on the Thames Valley Buses Enthusiasts Group on Facebook:

Our four new 11.8m ADL Enviro 200MMCs will be entering service in Bracknell tomorrow - 684-6 featuring two tone blue branding for the popular South Bracknell circular routes 171/172, and 687 in generic grey as the primary spare for the 171/172 and the 194.
They feature wood effect flooring, sky lights, USB and wireless charging, and audio visual next stop announcements, amongst other things.

nctd2306

Correct. Robert Williams of Reading Buses has posted the following on the Thames Valley Buses Enthusiasts Group on Facebook:

Looking forward to trying these out a bit later, my only concern is that this would indicate that they are looking to move the 171/2 to primarily single deck operation, when there a number of services particularly in the morning that really require a double decker, I regularly use the 7.35 171 service and single deckers are usually full and standing for much of that service...
For the rest of the day though, easily the biggest upgrade I've seen to any route in the Thames Valley, surpassing even the 194 upgrade (the "new" buses for that route still didn't even have WiFi last time I travelled on them :lol:)

Goldfish62

Established Member
For the rest of the day though, easily the biggest upgrade I've seen to any route in the Thames Valley, surpassing even the 194 upgrade (the "new" buses for that route still didn't even have WiFi last time I travelled on them :lol:)
Being pedantic, don't forget Flightline 703.:D

nctd2306

Being pedantic, don't forget Flightline 703.:D
Fair point, although for now only 2/5 of the branded buses on there are actually the new ones (3 more are on the way though)
I still think though that the Volvos to these are a more drastic upgrade, 451-456 were nice but pretty basic whereas the 703 has always arguably had (or is supposed to have had) more high end buses

Either way, first impressions are very good, and I'm a huge fan of that livery (pictures from my first journey on 685 earlier)

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_083549.jpg
    IMG_20240119_083549.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20240119_084139.jpg
    IMG_20240119_084139.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20240119_083447.jpg
    IMG_20240119_083447.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20240119_083444.jpg
    IMG_20240119_083444.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 78

Goldfish62

Established Member
Fair point, although for now only 2/5 of the branded buses on there are actually the new ones (3 more are on the way though)
I still think though that the Volvos to these are a more drastic upgrade, 451-456 were nice but pretty basic whereas the 703 has always arguably had (or is supposed to have had) more high end buses

Either way, first impressions are very good, and I'm a huge fan of that livery (pictures from my first journey on 685 earlier)
Thanks for the photos. Looking very good!

I see they have normal mirrors rather cameras. I'd have expected cameras given that the E400s have them.

Mgameing123

I honestly think the 16 needs to have more frequent service and longer service hours. Should be Half Hourly at peak time and last bus at 21:00

nctd2306

Thanks for the photos. Looking very good!

I see they have normal mirrors rather cameras. I'd have expected cameras given that the E400s have them.
No problem! Not my finest pictures as I was rushed, I'll try and get a better one at the bus station later
You can see 1202 on the 4 in the background there which I'd have probably opted to travel on had the the 171 not been one of the new ones :D

cactustwirly

Established Member
Looking forward to trying these out a bit later, my only concern is that this would indicate that they are looking to move the 171/2 to primarily single deck operation, when there a number of services particularly in the morning that really require a double decker, I regularly use the 7.35 171 service and single deckers are usually full and standing for much of that service...
They're a downgrade, has the "pleasure" of one of those buses from Great Hollands to Camberley. I'd rather have an old Volvo, like what First operate than that bus.

nctd2306

They're a downgrade, has the "pleasure" of one of those buses from Great Hollands to Camberley. I'd rather have an old Volvo, like what First operate than that bus.
I assume you're referring to the 194-liveried 681-683 here being the downgrade. I would say that whilst they aren't much better than what they replaced, they aren't much worse either. 796 and 797 are the 194 double deckers and this fact alone makes them an improvement seeing as passengers using the busier services that they tend to operate on can actually get a seat now, which hasn't been the case in years gone by.

EDIT: got some better pictures of 685 at Bracknell bus station, plenty of others out with cameras for the new arrivals :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_133251.jpg
    IMG_20240119_133251.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20240119_133257.jpg
    IMG_20240119_133257.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20240119_133316.jpg
    IMG_20240119_133316.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20240119_133237.jpg
    IMG_20240119_133237.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
I assume you're referring to the 194-liveried 681-683 here being the downgrade. I would say that whilst they aren't much better than what they replaced, they aren't much worse either. 796 and 797 are the 194 double deckers and this fact alone makes them an improvement seeing as passengers using the busier services that they tend to operate on can actually get a seat now, which hasn't been the case in years gone by.

EDIT: got some better pictures of 685 at Bracknell bus station, plenty of others out with cameras for the new arrivals :lol:
Now I’ve got to say, that is the smartest version of the Thames Valley livery so far. Something about 2 tone blue that really works well on buses.

Stephen1001

I honestly think the 16 needs to have more frequent service and longer service hours. Should be Half Hourly at peak time and last bus at 21:00
There was an attempt to run Windsor-Maidenhead roughly half-hourly a few years ago, when the old route 6 was turned into a faster service and the current route took on the 16 number. On the few occasions I saw either route loadings were poor, and the 6 was withdrawn after a fairly short time.

(I'm assuming your message refers to the Thames Valley 16, since the Reading Buses 16 is already quite a bit better than half-hourly!)

johnsy112

From today, Flightline 703 and London Line 702 are now up on the National express website showing just Bracknell, Legoland, Windsor, Slough and London/Heathrow as timetabled points.

They are also on google maps travel planner as National Express 702/703 and i assume this is nothing more than to market the route and boost numbers

Roger1973

From today, Flightline 703 and London Line 702 are now up on the National express website showing just Bracknell, Legoland, Windsor, Slough and London/Heathrow as timetabled points.

They are also on google maps travel planner as National Express 702/703 and i assume this is nothing more than to market the route and boost numbers

The National Express website appears to offer ticket purchases on the 703 (I have not gone as far as to try and make a booking). It seems to be offering stand-alone journeys on the 703, not just as an add-on to National Express journeys in to either Victoria or Heathrow.

There was a time (early 90s) when a number of local express services to / from central London were marketed as 'London Express' with through ticketing on to the National Express network.

Think there are a few other operators services where (I assume a proportion of) tickets can be booked under another banner - the Megabus and Easybus 'services' between London and Luton Airport both do (or did) involve the Arriva / Green Line 757 rather than a separate vehicle.

Mgameing123

There was an attempt to run Windsor-Maidenhead roughly half-hourly a few years ago, when the old route 6 was turned into a faster service and the current route took on the 16 number. On the few occasions I saw either route loadings were poor, and the 6 was withdrawn after a fairly short time.

(I'm assuming your message refers to the Thames Valley 16, since the Reading Buses 16 is already quite a bit better than half-hourly!)
Yes I am refering to that 16. Honestly it gets good loads with its current hourly service and it could get more passengers if it was more frequent and faster.

From what I’ve seen even in the peaks an enviro 200 can’t be filled
Well because of the short service hours no London commuters can use it also have you seen the Newlands run?

johnsy112

Yes I am refering to that 16. Honestly it gets good loads with its current hourly service and it could get more passengers if it was more frequent and faster.

Well because of the short service hours no London commuters can use it also have you seen the Newlands run?
I’ve used it a handful of times mate seen maximum 10 passengers. However I do see your point regarding the school run and can see it being busy then.

Before ramping up frequencies, maybe they could market the route a bit better. Promotional posters on stops could well create a boost in passengers, I’m not blind and do see a lot of potential for the route. It could potentially even be boosted from Windsor to slough. Another ambition be to attract legoland workers too as the staff enterance is just 10 minutes from the nearest 16 stop, and have no other direct connection to Maidenhead.

Mgameing123

I’ve used it a handful of times mate seen maximum 10 passengers. However I do see your point regarding the school run and can see it being busy then.

Before ramping up frequencies, maybe they could market the route a bit better. Promotional posters on stops could well create a boost in passengers, I’m not blind and do see a lot of potential for the route. It could potentially even be boosted from Windsor to slough. Another ambition be to attract legoland workers too as the staff enterance is just 10 minutes from the nearest 16 stop, and have no other direct connection to Maidenhead.
To be fair thats easy enough. They can merge the 16 with route 2.

Mgameing123

Though to be fair It does annoy me with the 16 not going straight down Dedworth Road into Windsor and heading up Clewer Hill Road wastes alot of time. But if the service gets increased to every 30 mins they should split it into 2 services:
16: Frascati Way - Bray Village - Holyport Turn - Testwood Road - Dedworth Tesco - Dedworth Road - Windsor, High Street - Slough Bus Stn (every hour)

16A: Frascati Way - Braywick Road - Holyport Turn - Fifield - Dedworth Tesco - Clewer Hill Road - King Edward VII Hospital - Windsor High Street - Slough Bus Stn (every hour)

Then one of these services will extend to Newlands once a day.

Last edited:

Are there any updates on the other new buses? I’ve heard the new lions have had their vinyls applied so they could be in service very soon.

nctd2306

I'm currently onboard former Lion 1210, ironically on the 4 to Bracknell where it has spent most of its time since being wrapped anyway, and it's interior (photo attached) hasn't changed.
Interesting that they didn't apply the charity livery to a full generic or at least replace the lion branding with a generic one inside

Attachments

• IMG_20240129_081603.jpg
    IMG_20240129_081603.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 57

nctd2306

So far all the Volvos 452-456 have been withdrawn.
And although it hasn't been confirmed, I strongly suspect that 234/5 are also done with Thames Valley, 4 buses (684-687) to replace 4 buses (453,455,234,235)
I'm not sure what their ultimate fate will be, but I can't think of any need for them in the Reading fleet so it'll be interesting to see what happens