• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading TVMs - buy from other stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakerstreet

Cannot seem to find this on TVMs at Reading station.
Looks like the facility / functionality has been removed or never existed.
Anyone know if any TVMs at Reading will do this?

1674117393726.jpeg

This was resolved easily at the ticket office and i know it can be done by ticket on departure (ToD) but passenger could not do this with their phone.
Useful for future reference if you have the answer.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If there was a facility on those ticket machines to buy a ticket from another station, it would be in the bottom left hand corner, and it isn't there.

You would need to buy online for collection (or possibly use the other type of ticket machine).

bakerstreet

If there was a facility on those ticket machines to buy a ticket from another station, it would be in the bottom left hand corner, and it isn't there.

You would need to buy online for collection (or possibly use the other type of ticket machine).
Thanks yes I though that’s where it should be. Frustrating it’s not there.

I’ll suggest passenger looks for another TVM type.

As you were posting I added the info that passenger is unable to buy tickets on phone or for ToD.

Many thanks

Benjwri

Established Member
That's a step backwards for the TVMs at Reading.
Don't think it's a step backwards, those look like the older style of GWR TVMs that you find at a lot of smaller stations, they've been around for a while, and have never had the ability to buy tickets for departure from another station.

Not sure if they have the larger style of TVMs that GWR normally have at larger stations at Reading, I believe they are able to issue for a different station, although keep meaning to check.

Alex27

There are two different types of TVMs at Reading, the S&B machines (which the picture is of) can't issue from a different origin, the worldline machines (with the big screens) can, although they can only be found by the main gateline opposite the ticket office.

bakerstreet

There are two different types of TVMs at Reading, the S&B machines (which the picture is of) can't issue from a different origin, the worldline machines (with the big screens) can, although they can only be found by the main gateline opposite the ticket office.
Thank you for this information- very useful, I’ll pass it on.

plugwash

Established Member
I notice there is a "tickets for future travel" button, I would try pressing that and see where it leads.

Benjwri

Established Member
I notice there is a "tickets for future travel" button, I would try pressing that and see where it leads.
It allows you do buy a ticket from that station for future travel, usually only one day in advance, these GWR machines are pretty terrible.

Birmingham

GWR will have this functionality turned off on their machines as West Midlands Trains and other TOCs have the same machines (S&B) which do allow you to buy a ticket starting from another station.

Status
Not open for further replies.