• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading West Revamp

coppercapped

Established Member
And some photos from the Tilehurst Road entrance, showing the poured concrete and the start of the upper steelwork.

They're also resurfaced part of the pavement they dug up, although I hope it isn't the final surface.

I'm not sure that driving down Oxford Road is the "only practical" option.

Oxford Road (up to the Tilehurst roundabout) would be significantly improved IMHO by making it a permanent bus & cycle lane (ideally a tramway for the 17, but that's a separate discussion) with local access for deliveries etc. if _really_ needed.

Then you wouldn't have all these cars getting in the way and delaying everyone else who is walking, cycling or on the bus ;)

There are always comments that people "would use public transport more if it was better", but the same people don't like the interventions that achieve that goal (at a macro scale, HS2). There is a finite amount of space, if you want to reallocate it to active travel and public transport then it has to be taken away from cars - no bad thing and we'll all be the better for it.
Yeah, right!

From time to time I take an elderly, mobility restricted neighbour by car to a shop in the Oxford Road which supplies clothing, shoes and equipment to help such people lead an independent life.

If motor cars are such evil things that they shouldn't be permitted in the Oxford Road then the person in question could never get to the shop in question. Public transport for them is not an option. Alternatively the shop would have to relocate to enable one to park nearby but this may remove that part of its custom which is not so mobility limited. In either case costs are involved which are not created by either the person or the shop.

What do you suggest as a solution?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crablab

I suggest that concern for such citizens often miraculously appears when such schemes are suggested.

Greater pedestrianisation, support of active & public transport and improvement of urban realm are things that benefit everyone, and can also be used to improve access for people of reduced mobility. For example, you will note the existence of Readibus services, and the provision of 'disabled' parking at the end of Broad Street (which previously wouldn't have been possible).

It's not a zero sum game, and the general populus don't need to be able to drive their cars everywhere for those that are of reduced mobility to have the access they need. I think it is disingenuous to suggest so.

reytomas1228

Yeah, right!

From time to time I take an elderly, mobility restricted neighbour by car to a shop in the Oxford Road which supplies clothing, shoes and equipment to help such people lead an independent life.

If motor cars are such evil things that they shouldn't be permitted in the Oxford Road then the person in question could never get to the shop in question. Public transport for them is not an option. Alternatively the shop would have to relocate to enable one to park nearby but this may remove that part of its custom which is not so mobility limited. In either case costs are involved which are not created by either the person or the shop.

"The person could never get to the shop in question?" Are we really going to pretend like Reading Buses aren't accessible, and that concessionary bus passes (with carers included) aren't a thing? For four years, my ex-husband (who is a ventilator-dependent man with muscular dystrophy) and I travelled around Reading by bus and around the country by rail. How does it make sense to talk about leading an independent life and then immediately go to car-dependence, and using disabled people to justify it?

coppercapped

Established Member
I suggest that concern for such citizens often miraculously appears when such schemes are suggested.

Greater pedestrianisation, support of active & public transport and improvement of urban realm are things that benefit everyone, and can also be used to improve access for people of reduced mobility. For example, you will note the existence of Readibus services, and the provision of 'disabled' parking at the end of Broad Street (which previously wouldn't have been possible).

It's not a zero sum game, and the general populus don't need to be able to drive their cars everywhere for those that are of reduced mobility to have the access they need. I think it is disingenuous to suggest so.

"The person could never get to the shop in question?" Are we really going to pretend like Reading Buses aren't accessible, and that concessionary bus passes (with carers included) aren't a thing? For four years, my ex-husband (who is a ventilator-dependent man with muscular dystrophy) and I travelled around Reading by bus and around the country by rail. How does it make sense to talk about leading an independent life and then immediately go to car-dependence, and using disabled people to justify it?
Isn't it amazing that everyone knows better....?

Yes, I suppose one could use the Readibus service, but unless several people want to go to the shop in question at the same time I would argue that the mini-bus sized vehicle carrying one passenger probably causes more congestion than one car. In any event the number of vehicles on the road is not reduced which I thought was the aim of the exercise.

Yes, Reading buses are 'accessible' but that term only refers to the step into the bus from the pavement and the placement of the priority seats. It does not magically make the bus stop more 'accessible' from her house. In this case the lady in question walks very, very slowly with the aid of crutches and has COPD. Any distance of more than 80 to 100 yards is difficult, its possible but is exhausting. To get to the shop using accessible buses she would first have to walk the couple of hundred yards to the bus stop and then change buses in the town centre to another accessible bus.

And then she has to do the whole thing in reverse to get home. The bus pass is irrelevant, she could afford to take a taxi - but what is the difference between that and my car in traffic congestion terms?

By an 'independent life' I was referring to her ability to look after herself when at home without being reliant on professional carers to handle her day to day needs. She happily visits the corner shops and potters in her garden, but there she can sit down when she wants to; getting across town by public transport exceeds her resources of strength.

These posts come across as arrogant and self-righteous, made with no understanding of the situation. They do not make a positive contribution to finding a solution to a particular issue - and this is almost certainly not an isolated case. One size does NOT fit all.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
And some photos from the Tilehurst Road entrance, showing the poured concrete and the start of the upper steelwork.

They're also resurfaced part of the pavement they dug up, although I hope it isn't the final surface.

I'm not sure that driving down Oxford Road is the "only practical" option.

Oxford Road (up to the Tilehurst roundabout) would be significantly improved IMHO by making it a permanent bus & cycle lane (ideally a tramway for the 17, but that's a separate discussion) with local access for deliveries etc. if _really_ needed.

Then you wouldn't have all these cars getting in the way and delaying everyone else who is walking, cycling or on the bus ;)

There are always comments that people "would use public transport more if it was better", but the same people don't like the interventions that achieve that goal (at a macro scale, HS2). There is a finite amount of space, if you want to reallocate it to active travel and public transport then it has to be taken away from cars - no bad thing and we'll all be the better for it.
To be entirely fair, the main issue is that Oxford Rd needs a relief road. It already has that in part (Portman Road), but Richfield Avenue/Cow Lane/Cav Road is way too congested to act as a better route into town. That means a tunnel from Cow Lane/Beresford Rd/Portman Rd Intersection to the Infernal Distribution Road ,but realistically that's not going to happen because it took the council best part of a decade or so to rebuild Cow Lane bridge, let alone anything more major.
Best option for now would be a Park and Ride off Norcot roundabout served by the 16/17 (16 should then be diverted down Portman Rd/Richfield Avenue/Cow Lane/Caversham Rd).
But back to Reading West and the real world...:D:D:D

I used to live on one of the roads off Oxford Road going up to Tilehurst Road. This was over 40 years ago (eeek - where did the time go!) and it was often quicker for me to get the train from Reading (General - as was) to Reading West and walk downhill to home, rather than struggle down the Oxford Road on the bus. Seems not a lot changes. I'll be very interested to see the changes once the builders move out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Interesting that this thread has arisen, as I used the station for the first time ever ther other day and changing platforms was a horrendous traipse along the edge of the main road inches from traffic, as no pedestrian route had been demarcated through or alongside the works.

crablab

as no pedestrian route had been demarcated through or alongside the works.
So a route does exist, but whether it is clearly marked or not is debatable. I'm not sure which way you were going, but there are two sets of temporary pedestrian crossings (traffic lights) either side of the bridge. One is opposite Lidl, and the other is pretty much opposite the South(west)bound platform staircase. To change platforms you have to cross the road, walk under the bridge and then cross back.

it was often quicker for me to get the train from Reading (General - as was) to Reading West and walk downhill to home
Surely it would be up the hill, if you were exiting onto Oxford Road and walking up (eg. Western Elms Avenue), or even up the hill to the Tilehurst Road entrance? ;)

I'll be very interested to see the changes once the builders move out.
Likewise! Interesting to hear not much has changed with the buses crawling along in traffic.

I am wondering what they will do with the bus stop that is currently in the building site (ie. away from Reading), and whether that will be located further along? The stops are quite close together on Oxford Road anyway, so maybe they'll get rid of Beresford Road (for example).

The Ham

Established Member
Likewise! Interesting to hear not much has changed with the buses crawling along in traffic.

As with all urban areas there's generally too much other traffic with a need to discourage (generally not ban all traffic, but sometimes that's the only method which works due to the entitlement of drivers) other motor traffic so that walking, cycling and public transport are the prevailing mode of transport within the urban area.

Sometimes that may include driving to connect with bus services if getting to the bus stop is too far (i.e. from a rural location which has no bus service) rather than driving the whole way.

Yes there's going to be cases where people do need to be driven, however these are edge cases. Although provision for them should be made. For example being able to register a vehicle to use an otherwise closed to cars route. However during the registration process the need would have to be justified, which may include the authority asking if other options are viable.

Alternatively cars are charged, as for those with infrquent access needs the charge would be an annoyance compared to the overall cost of running the car, especially if they could avoid it by driving part way and then using public transport the rest of the way.

It's why improvements such as the improvements at Reading West are needed (and linked to that the new Green Park station)

As it makes it easier for a greater number of people to be able to access the rail network who otherwise would be able to.

The more journeys which can be removed from someone's list of "I need a car for..." list the more likely they are to reduce their car usage.

The more that happens the busier the buses get and so the quieter the roads get. Even if some buses are only carrying one person, the rest which are carrying 10+ more than offset for that rare time there's a very lightly loaded bus.

8 people on a bus is typically 5 cars off the road, but only taking up the space of 2. Yet I suspect that a bus with only 8 people on is a fairly rare event and so the benefit is even greater.

The biggest issue with cars is the vast amount of space they need to be parked. In my cul-de-sac (a mix of 2 or 3 bed semi detached homes with reasonable gardens for the size of the properties, certainly larger than new visa have) nearly as much space is given to the movement and parking of cars as it's provided for rear gardens. It's not uncommon for houses which have garages for the garage to be larger than most, if not all, of the bedrooms (with current sizes needing to be 6m x 3m).

We can never build enough roads to cater for the number of cars (as cars ownership increases to fill the capacity available), so whilst road building is needed it should be limited and much of the time should be used to remove cars from another road. I say that as someone who designs roads for a living.

Wokingham

Alot of bus stops in Reading could do with relocation, the town centre, and Oxford road being the worst, unfortunately the bus company say its the parent ie council.

Given cost pressures i think a tram would be a waste of money, but proper busways and orbital routes reading would lead the uk in bus travel

fandroid

Established Member
Interesting that this thread has arisen, as I used the station for the first time ever ther other day and changing platforms was a horrendous traipse along the edge of the main road inches from traffic, as no pedestrian route had been demarcated through or alongside the works.
The irony is that there used to be a footbridge between the platforms at Reading West

fgwrich

Established Member
The irony is that there used to be a footbridge between the platforms at Reading West
Indeed, though it was in a pretty appalling state towards the end of its life (removed as a result of the electrification works). That said, Reading West has always been something of a dump - the concrete platform slabs could also do with replacing, and they’ve never seemingly been sure what to do with the effort of a canopy along Platform 1 since they took half of it apart to put in the OHLE masts.

coppercapped

Established Member
Indeed, though it was in a pretty appalling state towards the end of its life (removed as a result of the electrification works). That said, Reading West has always been something of a dump - the concrete platform slabs could also do with replacing, and they’ve never seemingly been sure what to do with the effort of a canopy along Platform 1 since they took half of it apart to put in the OHLE masts.
Network Rail put forward a planning application for a new bridge in a different location. However it would have resulted in a loss of privacy to some neighbouring properties and the application was refused. Subsequently Network Rail just abandoned the idea of replacing the bridge and didn't, as far as I can remember, submit an amended application to address the issues raised.

Wokingham

The whole place should have been closed its a dump, i don't get how the roadworks outside passed any risk assessment, both sides.

Surely it would be up the hill, if you were exiting onto Oxford Road and walking up (eg. Western Elms Avenue), or even up the hill to the Tilehurst Road entrance? ;)
Gentle slope up from Reading West to Tilehurst Road entrance/exit, steep drop down the road where I lived :D:D

I drove past the Tilehurst Road works last night but not much sign of a good deal of progress on that part. Guess it's all happening on the Oxford Road.

fandroid

Established Member
The whole place should have been closed its a dump, i don't get how the roadworks outside passed any risk assessment, both sides.
Observing from Basingstoke trains it seems to get a reasonable number of passengers, who benefit from Newbury trains as well as Basingstoke ones. In the past when I've travelled at pm peak times, a fair few travel for the short hop between Reading main station and Reading West. It's handy for extending a London commute into the fairly densely populated near western suburbs of the town.

Wokingham

if i add a bit of depth to my statement i recall that electric spine railway suggested it would need to close or be rebuilt, the antisocial behaviour and state of the platforms, ponding etc
Observing from Basingstoke trains it seems to get a reasonable number of passengers, who benefit from Newbury trains as well as Basingstoke ones. In the past when I've travelled at pm peak times, a fair few travel for the short hop between Reading main station and Reading West. It's handy for extending a London commute into the fairly densely populated near western suburbs of the town.

fgwrich

Established Member
if i add a bit of depth to my statement i recall that electric spine railway suggested it would need to close or be rebuilt, the antisocial behaviour and state of the platforms, ponding etc
100%. Over the recent years, Reading West has certainly become something of an ASB hotspot, as well as the on/off point for those who wish to travel without tickets (usually to Newbury Racecourse or to Thatcham), and a spot for those who partake in the dealing and using of Class A / B Drugs. This rebuild should at least reduce some of those issues by providing some form of Gateline and a small staffing presence at the station, but a full and proper rebuild would have been more preferential given the state of the platforms!

reddragon

Established Member
Yeah, right!

Well I took my mother to that exact shop last week, parked in Tesco's and pushed her around the corner in her wheelchair!

3973EXL

Established Member
Reading West - Oxford Rd End 21/02/23

Attachments

• DSC02124.JPG
    DSC02124.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 120
  • DSC02125.JPG
    DSC02125.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
  • DSC02126.JPG
    DSC02126.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 113
  • DSC02127.JPG
    DSC02127.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 111
  • DSC02128.JPG
    DSC02128.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 113
  • DSC02129.JPG
    DSC02129.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 120

Meerkat

Established Member
I'm a bit confused...
The plan seemed to show a gateline parallel to the railway. Will down passengers have to go through then do a 180 down an alley at the back of the building to get to the stairs/ramp? If the station isn't manned for all opening times that will be nice!

Fletcj10

Hiya, anyone here in the know as to when the relaunched Reading West (on Oxford Road) will open, its been going on for so long and passing it everyday it feels like its STILL not finished just wanted to know as i cant find much about it anywhere? :)

nickswift99

Hiya, anyone here in the know as to when the relaunched Reading West (on Oxford Road) will open, its been going on for so long and passing it everyday it feels like its STILL not finished just wanted to know as i cant find much about it anywhere? :)
The roadworks outside on the Oxford Road have consent until the 23rd October. Of course, there will be some work around commissioning that will need to happen after that.

Fletcj10

The roadworks outside on the Oxford Road have consent until the 23rd October. Of course, there will be some work around commissioning that will need to happen after that.
ah right well that’s promising especially the road works there a nightmare

Alfie1014

What a miss-mash of signage and wayfaring! And no CAPITALISATION the guidance for nearly 25 years is that it all should be in lower case!

Benjwri

Established Member
Press release from GWR, new station building to open to passengers on 19th March.

Media invite: New Reading West station building will open for customers on Tuesday 19 March​

The new station building and ticket office were built in partnership with Reading Borough Council, the Department for Transport, Network Rail and Thames Valley Berkshire Enterprise Partnership.
Where: Reading West Station
When: 1015, Tuesday 19 March
There will be an official opening by Mayor of Reading Cllr Tony Page on Tuesday 19 March at 1030.The station will then open for customers immediately after the event.
As well as short speeches, there will be an opportunity for tours, including a look behind the scenes.
The transformation of the station in Oxford Road includes new ticket gates, new lighting and CCTV cameras to significantly improve safety and security of the local community and travelling public.
Reading Borough Council has worked with Network Rail and Great Western Railways to deliver the project.
The new station building on Oxford Road is the centrepiece of the Reading West station upgrade, containing an information counter, a customer toilet and retail space.
New ticket gates have also been installed at the Oxford Road and Tilehurst Road entrances to ensure that paying passengers only have access to the platforms.
A new bus interchange, improved cycle parking and pedestrian crossing have also been added as part of the scheme, along with improvements to the Tilehurst Road entrance.