• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reality checks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
A thoroughly whimsical sequence of thoughts here: but – concerning especially, enthusiasts with a fondness for highly-rural light railways: does anyone besides myself ever have fleeting moments of wondering whether he is one of a small bunch of totally crazy people living, as regards this aspect of life, in a fantasy world?

I’m the only person in my family to have been significantly bitten by the railway “bug” – and in particular, by its branch-and-light-railway-loving sub-set – and have received for this, a good deal of “stick” (mostly affectionate, sometimes exasperated) from other family members. Additionally, the widespread perception among the general populace that “train-spotters” are weird / immature / not properly functional / not quite right in the head. I have at times – and I’m sure I can’t be the only one in this – pondered on whether railway-mania is a personality defect, and a “childish thing” which I ought long since to have put away; indeed whether, with this thing so prominent in my life, I am completely sane. (Usually, such thoughts are entertained just briefly; replaced by the reflection that there are preoccupations objectively at least as idiotic, which are indulged in by millions of people: only -- if it’s a thing which millions of folk love, that gets it the public seal of approval.)

As something of a lover of “what-ifs” in general: I occasionally get into a train of thought which suggests that just perhaps, these weird little railways which vanished long ago and which I hanker after – never existed at all; that the whole thing about them is fantasy, spun from “whole cloth” by generations of nutcases like me (many of them respected published names in the railway-enthusiast world). That the written and printed descriptions of these lines, are in fact imaginative fiction dreamed up by folk talented that way; the photographs and sometimes cine films – such stuff can be very convincingly faked, by people with those sort of skills. These lines, shown on old maps for the public’s general use: members of our “brotherhood of lunatics” who were nonetheless “functioning” in other aspects of life, and achieved positions of power and influence, used that power and influence to get maps falsified, to show these railways which never in fact existed. (If one is inclined toward the lure of conspiracy theories, it comes to be little or no problem to explain anything and everything away.)

I’ll emphasise that I have only brief moments of entertaining this particular fancy: nonetheless, I tend – because of it – sometimes to feel disproportionately pleased at getting “independent corroboration”, from a totally non-railway-centric source, that such and such a former light-railway venue, not experienced by one at first-hand, truly does exist: vindication that one is not, in fact, spending much of one’s time in a mad dream-world. I discovered that the home town of a university friend of mine, was Bishop’s Castle: felt just a little pleased and reassured, to have it thus confirmed that there was indeed, near the Welsh border, a small town of that name – once served by a ramshackle light railway – inhabited by real people leading normal lives. Similarly: there’s a village in Brittany which was at one time a junction on the Côtes du Nord metre-gauge light railway system, last line of which was abandoned more than sixty years ago. Reading a book about French Resistance activity in World War II, I took absurd pleasure in seeing a passing mention in connection with the book’s theme – no railway relevance at all – of that village, “named with its name”.

And, reading Bill Bryson’s book A Walk in the Woods, about his experiences on the Appalachian Trail (as often for me with this author, fluctuating between being entertained, and wanting to throw the tome violently against the opposite wall, in sheer annoyance): it delighted me to read about his spending a night at a B & B in the village of Monson in the state of Maine – the last “civilised” spot on the Trail heading northward, before plunging into its final hundred miles of “howling wilderness”. Monson was once the terminus of a short 2ft gauge railway, from a not-far-off standard-gauge junction; in point of fact, the last survivor (abandoned 1944) of Maine’s one-time bunch of delectable 2ft gauge lines. Bryson per the book, has never heard of the railway; he just describes Monson “as above” – in my weird scheme of things, reassurance that these places in fact are and were real, independent of the light-railway dimension.

Has anyone else ever had the slightest twinges of feeling this way, about this issue – or am I uniquely nuts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
I think that many people have moments of "what if" / "wish I had done things differently" / "wish I could go back & correct my mistakes or failings" / "wish I had been around long ago" / "wish I had been able to get that girl", etc.

We just have to remember to return to reality sometimes.

Calthrop

Established Member
With my dreaming-up-scenarios tendency: I sometimes worry a bit, about a potential decade-or-two hence; with me, senile and thoroughly out of it, gabbing on at length to my fellow-nursing-home-inmates about gricing exploits which I'll honestly believe that I performed in my youth -- but in fact didn't, because of their involving stuff which ceased to be in my infancy, or before my birth.

I don't think your conspiracy theory has ever occurred to me, but it does bring to mind a couple of thoughts:

1) I understand that you have travelled on quite a lot of now-closed lines which to those of us somewhat younger than you also seem part of that semi-legendary past -- maybe the entire pre-Beeching railway is a big hoax and you're one of the hoaxers :). (That would require a rather bigger conspiracy though, given the number of people, including my parents and other relatives, who claim to have travelled on such lines).

2) I have been lucky enough to visit a few small (overseas) fragments of the long-lost-minor-railway world that survived into my time without being closed, modernised or preserved, and it was sometimes hard to believe that they really had survived until I actually saw them in action (especially as in some cases I was genuinely unsure whether they were still open). I'm thinking for example of turning up at Sroda Wielkopolska in October 1995 to find rusty narrow-gauge lines and an unstaffed station with no legible timetable, and being relieved when first another passenger arrived to wait for the train, and then a Px48 and two coaches appeared round the corner.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't think your conspiracy theory has ever occurred to me, but it does bring to mind a couple of thoughts:

1) I understand that you have travelled on quite a lot of now-closed lines which to those of us somewhat younger than you also seem part of that semi-legendary past -- maybe the entire pre-Beeching railway is a big hoax and you're one of the hoaxers :). (That would require a rather bigger conspiracy though, given the number of people, including my parents and other relatives, who claim to have travelled on such lines).

2) I have been lucky enough to visit a few small (overseas) fragments of the long-lost-minor-railway world that survived into my time without being closed, modernised or preserved, and it was sometimes hard to believe that they really had survived until I actually saw them in action (especially as in some cases I was genuinely unsure whether they were still open). I'm thinking for example of turning up at Sroda Wielkopolska in October 1995 to find rusty narrow-gauge lines and an unstaffed station with no legible timetable, and being relieved when first another passenger arrived to wait for the train, and then a Px48 and two coaches appeared round the corner.

I wonder though if the entire local population were hiding around the corner waiting for "that tourist" to push off so that they could get into their usual air conditioned modern DMU (which was parked around the back) to go off to town as per normal? :lol:

Actually it's a great story and an interesting thread.

Calthrop

Established Member

Some of the conspiracy theories which people seriously believe (unless they are actually having us all on) would seem to involve a quite colossal number of participants in whatever the supposed hoax is; "no British railway which closed before the early 1960s, ever actually existed at all" would appear a relatively easy one to pull off, compared with some genuine CTs. It does seem to be a human trait, that quite a lot of people have this yen to believe and propagate conspiracy theories. Maybe it's just that people tend to get a kick out of feeling that they belong to an alert few who are more perceptive / brighter / better-informed, than the general herd.

I engaged in a bout of similar stuff on the Polish narrow gauge in 1994 -- I likewise, found something of a "voyage of discovery" (of both positive and negative kinds) aspect to it. In fact, at that time Polish n/g was in, very relatively, not-too-bad shape; a fairish amount still running, although a great deal which there had in the past additionally been, had closed over the previous few decades. In the late 90s, the state railways closed a number of n/g lines; then as from 2001, they totally relinquished all their remaining n/g possessions and interests -- local-government authorities / private firms / preservationists could take the lines over; or they perished on the spot. I gather that narrow gauge in Poland is at a very low ebb now: only a few venues are in any way active, and those which are, I believe are exclusively heritage / preservation.

I wonder though if the entire local population were hiding around the corner waiting for "that tourist" to push off so that they could get into their usual air conditioned modern DMU (which was parked around the back) to go off to town as per normal? :lol:

Maybe, but a bus would be more likely -- I think an air-conditioned DMU in Poland in 1995 would have been, for the opposite reason, as surprising as a narrow-gauge steam train. (And it would have taken a while to sort the track out -- it reminded me of pictures of the Talyllyn in the early 1950s).

I engaged in a bout of similar stuff on the Polish narrow gauge in 1994 -- I likewise, found something of a "voyage of discovery" (of both positive and negative kinds) aspect to it. In fact, at that time Polish n/g was in, very relatively, not-too-bad shape; a fairish amount still running, although a great deal which there had in the past additionally been, had closed over the previous few decades. In the late 90s, the state railways closed a number of n/g lines; then as from 2001, they totally relinquished all their remaining n/g possessions and interests -- local-government authorities / private firms / preservationists could take the lines over; or they perished on the spot. I gather that narrow gauge in Poland is at a very low ebb now: only a few venues are in any way active, and those which are, I believe are exclusively heritage / preservation.

My first visit was only a brief one, and my priority was steam (plus, on subsequent trips, visiting friends and non-railway tourism) rather than narrow-gauge per se, so I visited Wolsztyn (maybe not 'real' enough for your taste, but I found it well worth visiting) and (once, in 1998) the other steam NG line at Gniezno, but unfortunately I never travelled on any of the other NG lines.

This site has fairly recent information on Polish NG lines, although it doesn't appear to have been updated for a couple of years. A surprising number are shown as 'operating', although I think some of them don't operate very often. As I understand it, the 3 km line from Pleszew main line station to Pleszew Miasto (Town) still provides a 'real' public transport service (the current timetable is the second one listed under 'Rozklad Jazdy' at http://shortlines.pl/), but no others do.

meridian2

Maybe it's just that people tend to get a kick out of feeling that they belong to an alert few who are more perceptive / brighter / better-informed, than the general herd.

That is undoubtedly true. It isn't restricted to railways of course, every enthusiasm recognises its own as troops in a cold war against unquestioning normality.
Growing up at the end of the steam age, I thought railways were a kind of inherited dereliction. Everyone wanted a car and railway buffs were seen as loonies, gents in national health spectacles, ex-headmistresses in tweed suits, boffins of every stripe trying to keep the past intact. The fact they were right and represented the future, not the past, is a lesson every generation has to learn for itself. If you'd have told someone in 1967 that cities would build tramways, they'd have thought you mad.

Calthrop

Established Member
This site has fairly recent information on Polish NG lines, although it doesn't appear to have been updated for a couple of years. A surprising number are shown as 'operating', although I think some of them don't operate very often. As I understand it, the 3 km line from Pleszew main line station to Pleszew Miasto (Town) still provides a 'real' public transport service (the current timetable is the second one listed under 'Rozklad Jazdy' at http://shortlines.pl/), but no others do.

Very many thanks for the link to the general Polish n/g lines site. I have been for the past few years, cut off from my erstwhile information sources: my impression when last in touch with same was that things looked essentially bleak, for the present and future of the narrow gauge in Poland. The site as linked to by you (your doing so, much appreciated), shows the position as better than I had been envisaging: though site’s info is – as you note – mostly correct to 2015 only; and I have the impression that over the past couple of decades, rail matters in Poland have tended to be very fluid and rapidly changeable !

Very interesting about the short Pleszew 750mm gauge line – operated by the firm SKPL, which for a while worked a number of ex-Polish State Railways (PKP) narrow and standard gauge local lines, and apparently still does so with a few of same – with Pleszew line’s having, we learn from your two links, had its public passenger workings reinstated (with an improved service) in 2015, after their withdrawal late in 2012. (I’ve passed through the standard-gauge Pleszew “Junction” station, but never had the opportunity to travel on the narrow-gauge line; which incidentally, is a remnant of a once considerably more extensive system.)

That is undoubtedly true. It isn't restricted to railways of course, every enthusiasm recognises its own as troops in a cold war against unquestioning normality.
Growing up at the end of the steam age, I thought railways were a kind of inherited dereliction. Everyone wanted a car and railway buffs were seen as loonies, gents in national health spectacles, ex-headmistresses in tweed suits, boffins of every stripe trying to keep the past intact. The fact they were right and represented the future, not the past, is a lesson every generation has to learn for itself. If you'd have told someone in 1967 that cities would build tramways, they'd have thought you mad.

Latching here, onto a thing on a personal note; I harbour a strong regret that -- despite my 1948 birthdate -- I never, to my knowledge / memory, saw anything of the "first generation" of British urban trams: was just never in the right place / time for any of the ongoingly-declining tram systems from '48 to '62. (I except the Blackpool system as being essentially, a different kind of beast.) I feel considerable envy of those of my contemporaries who were fortunate enough to have in their childhood, first-hand experience of British trams.

Further to my OP: experienced just yesterday, another instance of the described "feeling reassured by happening on a non-gricing-related mention, of a classic-light-railway-gricing venue". This was on another message board which I frequent (said board discusses "every subject under the sun"). There's a regular poster on this board who is from Spain, and is the board's recognised authority and fount-of-knowledge on all things Spanish. She made a post in which mention was made of the city of Castellon de la Plana, on Spain's Mediterranean coast; to do with relations between the city, and the province of which it is the capital. Castellon d.l.P. was once the focal point of a very delightful, smallish 750mm gauge system which was, sadly, abandoned in 1963 -- the reference in the abovementioned post is the first one to this place, which I have ever encountered in a non-railway-enthusiast context !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.