• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Really don’t understand the Rail Staff Travel website

martin2345uk

Established Member
So I now have access to a PRIV for the first time…

I am just trying to work this site out, and was looking at tickets from Chelmsford to Chepstow (just theoretical for now while I get to grips with it)

So it seems I have selected a super off peak return… but then it is saying I can reserve seats, but the list of possible trains are certainly not super off peak? How does that work, does anyone know?

IMG_0280.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Looking at a "normal" website(scotrail) seems to offer super off peak returns so its not an issue with the staff travel website, the restrictions code looks like that journey is fine to me

Starmill

Veteran Member
Full details are at this link, but in short, as @glasgowniteowl says those services are totally fine with a Super Off Peak ticket.

The barred services on the outward are only from London Paddington on working days after 04:29 and before 10:15 and after 15:01 and before 19:02. For the return there would be no PM restrictions, only similar AM ones.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So I now have access to a PRIV for the first time…

I am just trying to work this site out, and was looking at tickets from Chelmsford to Chepstow (just theoretical for now while I get to grips with it)

So it seems I have selected a super off peak return… but then it is saying I can reserve seats, but the list of possible trains are certainly not super off peak? How does that work, does anyone know?

View attachment 154386
Trains aren't inherently peak or off-peak - the trains you can take depends on the ticket you hold. For a Chelmsford to Chepstow ticket there are no restrictions on your travel between Chelmsford and London, only on the trains between London and Chepstow.

This is in accordance with the Network Area Rule (of thumb) which dictates that most tickets from an origin in the Network Area to a destination outside it are unrestricted for the portion between the origin and London, and vice versa.

Therefore the RST site is entirely correct to offer trains at 08:xx from Chelmsford as these connect to the first unrestricted trains from Paddington.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks guys..I don’t think I’ll ever understand railway ticketing…

So normally when I just go from Chelmsford to London Liv Street they’re very strict on super off peak, and if I were to get a 0857 service just to London then a Super Off Peak would absolutely not be valid… but it would be in this situation because it’s the London to Chepstow part that had restrictions?

Would I get grief from the barrier staff at London Liverpool Street?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks guys..I don’t think I’ll ever understand railway ticketing…

So normally when I just go from Chelmsford to London Liv Street they’re very strict on super off peak, and if I were to get a 0857 service just to London then a Super Off Peak would absolutely not be valid…
That's correct - that ticket would have a different restriction code, which means it's not valid to arrive into London before 12pm.

There isn't a blanket definition of "peak", Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak. It varies significantly depends on what ticket you have.

but it would be in this situation because it’s the London to Chepstow part that had restrictions?
More or less, yes. But there are even Off-Peak tickets that have no time restrictions at all! Basically, you can't assume anything from the fact that you have an Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak ticket. Each ticket has its own restrictions and you have to see what they are - or refer to the trains that your journey planner of choice offers.

Would I get grief from the barrier staff at London Liverpool Street?
I wouldn't have thought so.

Haywain

Veteran Member
This is in accordance with the Network Area Rule (of thumb) which dictates that most tickets from an origin in the Network Area to a destination outside it are unrestricted for the portion between the origin and London, and vice versa.
A non-existent rule these days, the benefit of which may very according to which line of route is being used to travel (wholly) within the Network Railcard area to/from London.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How did you guys know the restriction code was YW..?
You can look it up (together with all of the available fares, prices and details) at the excellent BR Fares site that @Paul Kelly maintains :)

Alternatively, most booking sites also display the restriction code during purchase - but it's not always as obvious as it could or should be!