• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Has anyone else found that the time zones on Railmiles are now completely scrambled? They used to be, I think, alphabetical but now they're just a mess. Real pain to use but I'm not sure if it's just me!

MrJeeves

Established Member
Has anyone else found that the time zones on Railmiles are now completely scrambled? They used to be, I think, alphabetical but now they're just a mess. Real pain to use but I'm not sure if it's just me!
Yes, was mentioned on the Discord and seemingly related to a dependency update/change many weeks ago.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, was mentioned on the Discord and seemingly related to a dependency update/change many weeks ago.
Ah good not just me then! Just the first trip in a while where timezones have been relevant.

Do we know when it might be fixed?

Class 800

@Tom Let me also thank you for this amazing site. I really don’t know what I’d do without it.
I use it almost every time I travel on the railway and would be really keen to know exactly how it works and interacts with the signalling system.

Now even CrossCountry are recommending on their website that folks use it when there is disruption or to check the planned train formation.

Anyway, I do have a question however. Why is it not always possible to show the Know Your Train for some operators eg GTR?

And how come Track Your Train is only possible for Greater Anglia? Are there any plans for further rollout?

Benjwri

Established Member
Anyway, I do have a question however. Why is it not always possible to show the Know Your Train for some operators eg GTR?
Data for KnowYourTrain is supplied from the TOCs to RealTimeTrains. It relies on individual operators making agreements with them to provide the data, and some operators decide they don’t want such an agreement for various reasons, vandalism and security are often quoted ones.

skyhigh

Established Member
and some operators decide they don’t want such an agreement for various reasons, vandalism and security are often quoted ones.
Fairly vacuous reasons as far as I can see, but if they don't want to supply RTT with the data there's little anyone can do.

Robski_

some operators decide they don’t want such an agreement for various reasons, vandalism and security are often quoted ones.
I am aware of one TOC which is against it on the basis of principle (it should be open data).

Adam Williams

Established Member
I am aware of one TOC which is against it on the basis of principle (it should be open data).
Well, back in the real world it's not open data currently.

This logic doesn't make a great deal of sense to me - "let's make passenger information worse by not sharing it with provider X, who happens to perhaps be the most popular dedicated live train information source that members of the public use, because we don't think it should be closed". Great pragmatism there!

Do I think it should be open? Sure. Do I think championing open data and working with services like RTT are mutually exclusive? Of course not.

I suspect some of it is simply rooted in RTT not being seen as "part of" National Rail in the same way that Darwin and other initiatives are. I find it quite entertaining that such a small entity has done a decidedly better job than RDG when it comes to what passengers actually want, and find useful.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Why don't they make theirs open data if they really care about that principle then? I would love to see it, but I'm very sceptical
I think @Robski_ is saying he thinks it should be open data rather than the TOC saying it should be open data?

...and I have a pretty good idea which TOC it is because the MD is known to be against Know Your Train...

RailWonderer

Established Member
Small detail here but this pair of ex-Anglia 170s is still in GA white with red doors with EMR regional branding yet both units are shown as EMR purple.