• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reasons for wanting to drive a train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leebob34

Evening all.

I just thought I'd put a post up to see what reasons people wanted to become a train driver ? ,(apart from the money obviously )
I'm sure everyone has got there own reasons but be good know
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Guess not then.looks like every one is doing it for the money

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

Evening all.

I just thought I'd put a post up to see what reasons people wanted to become a train driver ? ,(apart from the money obviously )

I'm not afraid to say it was a boyhood dream and a couple of my mates dads were train drivers. Always pictured myself doing it and nothing else. Cant say much more on the subject than that. Cant really explain that either but always pictured my adult life with family etc, coming home from driving trains haha

455driver

Veteran Member
Evening all.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Guess not then. looks like every one is doing it for the money
That is going to limit the answers! :lol:

GadgetMan

I applied for a Guards job when it was advertised in local paper and got in. Thoroughly enjoyed the job for 6 years until Franchise change, thats when this duty of care boll**ks started meaning you can't go challenging/upsetting fare dodgers anymore - in fact in the words of a manager they were to be treated as "potential future customers"!

I then moved to the front cab as I wanted nothing to do with revenue protection and ill disciplined members of our population as it was getting harder and harder not to break someones nose. And the extra money is great.

Best of all as a Driver we weren't put through any customer service crap. So although I'm quite happy to assist genuine passengers in every way possible, the arrogant/rude/non paying ones get told to politely do one.

Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
TBH for me it's the job security and the career. Yes the money is nice but having a secure job and career prospects that is what makes the job right for me. At times the job can be really enjoyable and other times really rather testing but I will never take for granted the position I'm in as I know many thousands would love to take my place.

infobleep

Veteran Member
How do people find d the solitary life as a train driver. In the days of steam engines and early diesels, there were at least two people in the cab and you could have a chat whilst working. Even a second opinion on something.

Perhaps that's a distraction. I don't know but I'd prefer it myself.

sarahj

Established Member
There are times when I think I'd like to be a driver. Sometimes facing the punters every day can grind you down, but then sometimes I like the fact that once the train is checked, I can sometimes just chill, but if I was a driver I'd be up in the little box going, speed up here, slow down there, coast here, signal there. I does seem a bit lonely in the cab, but as a conductor it can be lonely among a 1000 passengers who you only talk to when discussing tickets or connections, who view your presence as a grind, 'gawd, got to find my ticket', and the few that want to talk to you are the type you don't want to talk to.

But for many drivers, its the money. They are coming to work in their Quasquis and Audis and holidaying in the far east or the states. I went to a caravan in Northumberland this year (and the van was free) and did a week in a cheap self catering in Tenerife. And I drive a fiat 500 on a £130 a month lease.

beavercreek

For me it's the feeling of getting all the passengers to their destinations on time and safely.

NI 271

Realisation of a boyhood dream.

The pay (obviously)

I don't have to deal with the public (after spending 14 years dealing with the public every day).

Minimal contact with management.

Being treated as an adult and trusted to do my job.

Bit of peace and quiet and your own space! Full family life at home, complete with wife, kids, pets etc that all vie for attention, so having somewhere where you can be on your own is good.

Taken a couple of bits out, but what's left above also applies pretty much exactly to me as well. I've always loved spending hours alone, so it suits me down to the ground.

redbutton

Well, the money is obviously a factor, but I was in a well-paying career before so it's not as big a factor as it is for some people.

For me, it was mostly about the independence. I like being out and about, being given a specific job to do (my diagram) and carrying it out. I'm an introvert but friendly and with good customer service skills. So I like to help people when asked but it's nice not to have it be my primary job. Same goes with colleagues. A bit of banter in the messroom can be fun, but then I get to be alone with my thoughts once I'm in the cab.

Plus I like the mix of new and old technology (I sign both modern units and vintage BR stuff) and learning about the logistics of running a network as crowded as this one. Maybe one day if I want a change I'll get into Operations or Safety.

And lastly there's the flexibility of being able to do this job anywhere in the country should I decide to move out of London.

dakta

For me it's not the money, I won't argue with a good salary, but it's not the driving factor (no pun intended).

I don't want to undervalue the drivers, or appear so suggest they should be on less, but when I took my first steps in actually looking for vacancies, I was surprised at what they were on, I always knew it was reasonable, but it eclipses a lot jobs tbh.

Money is the reason people work, so it also can't be discounted, but for train driving specifically, I actually do not know. I think it's mostly because I got dragged into railway preservation by a close friend who was a committee member of a small preservation group, and it grew the interest.

I also think it's the skill of the job, now most people probably don't think twice when using trains about whats going in the driving cab, but it's a skilled job. You don't need to be a genius to realise that controlling over a hundred tonnes of DMU safely in a dynamic environment is going to require some kind of skill. And it's nice to do something skilled :)

It doesn't attract me to driving as such, but whilst I'm confident, I'm quiet and prefer working alone (even though it contributes to a wider effort) and I prefer working odd hours, so not actually reasons for wanting to drive as such, but it's elements of the job that actually help make it appeal in a small way

I also find, just from listening in, that there is a bit of a camaraderie amongst workers that a lot of industries don't seem to have. That of course doesn't mean everyone gets on, but I do pick on something that the industries I have worked in haven't. I do prefer working alone, but there's others out there suffering the ins and outs of the job like yourself and working from a good base in that respect would be awesome.

That might be completely wrong in reality of course :lol:

Last edited:

bystander

Well, the money is obviously a factor, but I was in a well-paying career before so it's not as big a factor as it is for some people.

For me, it was mostly about the independence. I like being out and about, being given a specific job to do (my diagram) and carrying it out. I'm an introvert but friendly and with good customer service skills. So I like to help people when asked but it's nice not to have it be my primary job. Same goes with colleagues. A bit of banter in the messroom can be fun, but then I get to be alone with my thoughts once I'm in the cab.

Plus I like the mix of new and old technology (I sign both modern units and vintage BR stuff) and learning about the logistics of running a network as crowded as this one. Maybe one day if I want a change I'll get into Operations or Safety.

And lastly there's the flexibility of being able to do this job anywhere in the country should I decide to move out of London.

Blimey! If I could write as clearly as that, it's exactly what I would have set down. Word for word my motivations.

cossie4i

It's what I always wanted to do.

Passed as a Driver in 91 just after my 21st birthday.

I like the peace and quiet of being on your own but love the banter in the crew room.

It used to also be a job for life but not as much these days.

The money is good NOW but wasn't when I started.

I have no idea what I would do if I wasn't a Driver, never had to give it any thought.

Legzr1

The money is good NOW but wasn't when I started.

This!

I can't remember thousands of applicants for 5 vacancies when the rate for a qualified driver was £10,700 and that was the late 80s when jobs weren't exactly around every corner.

My choice was £30 a week YTS or £67 a week Traction Trainee - some days I wish I'd taken the £30 option!!

rd749249

I figured this would be a good way to make my first post.

I've just been offered a role as a trainee driver to start next Summer and I'm very excited about that. I empathise with most of the things that redbutton said. I too am currently in a relatively well paid job and have been within the same industry for a while. As one or two have put it, this really was a boyhood dream of mine. Now I have the chance to fulfil that :D

I don't know fully what to expect as I don't know anyone in the industry. I am also quite introverted but at the same time, enjoy the company of others and definitely looking forward to working with new and no doubt fascinating people.

Wife and growing-up children, house, mortgage etc but this isn't about the money. This is about fulfilling a dream/ambition, more time with family but at the same time, giving my 'all' to the company that has shown some faith in me.

I'll no doubt have more to add as and when I get into the seat....and I cannot wait for that!

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
But for many drivers, its the money. They are coming to work in their Quasquis and Audis and holidaying in the far east or the states. I went to a caravan in Northumberland this year (and the van was free) and did a week in a cheap self catering in Tenerife. And I drive a fiat 500 on a £130 a month lease.
Not all drivers are like that!
This year we had a weeks holiday at Butlins Minehead and another week in a caravan in Cornwall, I drive a 15 year old Vauxhall Astra, live in a 3 bedroom terraced house and have no debt except the mortgage. How many of those taking the foreign holidays and driving the posh cars are living on the never never?

Salary, pension and time off, in that order. Personally, I find train driving to be mind numbingly tedious, if I could find another job with similar salary and benefits but more interaction with normal people I'd take it in a flash.

Lincoln_biker

They are coming to work in their Quasquis and Audis and holidaying in the far east or the states. I went to a caravan in Northumberland this year (and the van was free) and did a week in a cheap self catering in Tenerife. And I drive a fiat 500 on a £130 a month lease.

I drive a 14 year old banger that stinks REALLY BAD on a hot day. Cost me less than 3 months lease of a Fiat 500

cossie4i

I still drive my 1999 Mondeo to and from work, don't feel the need for a new car.

It starts and stops and I don't have to worry if it gets scratched lol

tlionhart

I drive an Audi, although I have been driving various ones before joining the railway.
Most the drivers in my depot don't have sports cars, etc. Most of them are in to mountain bikes, running and motorbikes.
I joined the railway as its something I've always wanted to do as a kid. Although I'm not a train spotter, I do have a keen interest in the railway. Also I don't want a job that's 9-5 and I dread to be stuck in an office all day. I like moving about. Although it has an attractive salary (I still wanted to join the railway when wages were poor) So money hasn't been my motivation, although I wouldn't do the job for free. lol
What most drivers tend to do with their money is save it. Most have come from lower paid salaries, so they save the money they wouldn't have got. Treating themselves either to nicer holidays and spending the rest on putting their kids in private schooling or investment. (buying multiple mortgages) The downside to the job, if you live outside your means and loose your job, your financially screwed...

Last edited:

Panupreset

Pension, pension, pension. Going to be retired a long time based on life expectancy these days and in 30 years time there will be no state pension.

Gemz91

I ride to work on a second hand mountain bike and holiday once a year in Whitby (although admittedly both out of choice and not forced to do so). I remember when I was a guard, I thought that if I ever became a driver all my money woes would be over and I'd have excess cash coming out of my ears. In reality, its not like that. I seem more skint now that I'm a driver then when I was a guard.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
So would any of the drivers who have replied like to be steam train drivers? I don't mean heritage lines but if our national railways were steam powered, with drivers still on the same salaries as they get now?

Joof

For me it was a number of reasons. As a kid I liked trains sure, but being a driver never crossed my mind or anything like that. I had a well paid job before I applied so I wanted to maintain that lifestyle. Why wouldn't i!!! The job also interested me too tho. Although I had no idea what it would actually be like. The benefits are massive. Salary, free travel and a massive massive perk is the pension. I do enjoy the job also so that's a huge advantage. I'd hate to be coming to work dreading every day. Be under no illusions, the job really is fantastic. Never seem to be at work. The time off is fantastic but it's not a chore to go to work. I don't have a love of trains n couldn't give a **** if a class 37 or something goes past. I do love the job tho and all it provides me with. Best decision I ever made without doubt.

387star

On Moderation
For me it was a number of reasons. As a kid I liked trains sure, but being a driver never crossed my mind or anything like that. I had a well paid job before I applied so I wanted to maintain that lifestyle. Why wouldn't i!!! The job also interested me too tho. Although I had no idea what it would actually be like. The benefits are massive. Salary, free travel and a massive massive perk is the pension. I do enjoy the job also so that's a huge advantage. I'd hate to be coming to work dreading every day. Be under no illusions, the job really is fantastic. Never seem to be at work. The time off is fantastic but it's not a chore to go to work. I don't have a love of trains n couldn't give a **** if a class 37 or something goes past. I do love the job tho and all it provides me with. Best decision I ever made without doubt.

And glad you never gave up after freightliner i didn't either

Northern is probably more secure anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.