• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Redex

Junctionman

On Moderation
Has anyone ever used any type of redex, i saw it in tesco on sale and was tempted to buy some . I always remember as a kid the garage attendant would inject some into my Dads and Grandads cars

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnmoly

Has anyone ever used any type of redex, i saw it in tesco on sale and was tempted to buy some . I always remember as a kid the garage attendant would inject some into my Dads and Grandads cars
I use it now and again, can't say I've noticed any difference in performance or whatever. Like you I remember my dad always getting a shot of redex. I can't understand the reasoning of the same size bottle having either one tank full, ir several tank fulls.

DelW

Established Member
I didn't realise it was still around, I hadn't heard of it for fifty years or so.

It was commonplace in the 1960s, when "four and four shots" (four gallons of petrol and four squirts of Redex) was my parents' standard refill order. IIRC the shots were one (old) penny each, and the petrol around five shillings a gallon.

I'd assumed that improved materials and tolerances of valve guides and piston rings had led to its disappearance.

Russel

I read somewhere that just filling up with a tank of Shell V Power has the same cleaning effect on the engine as using Redex, not sure how true it is though.

Ted633

I owned my previous car from 34k to well over 200k miles. Always kept an eye on fuel economy, and obviously it gradually got worse over the years. (Average of 70 mpg gradually reducing to low 60's)
I then had a fuel injector issue, and as a last resort to fix it, I dropped the fuel filter housing and filled it with redex to flush the system through. Not only did it fix the issue, but fuel economy sharply rose back up and to 67/68 mpg. It's now part of my regular servicing schedule to put redex in the tank.

CarltonA

I started using Redex in a previous car when the performance was getting poorer. After a few months the engine developed some problems and I took it in for repair. The dealer spotted the Redex in the boot and advised me not to use it (in spite of the claims on the bottle it was suitable for all petrol engines). That car was a Peugeot, not the most reliable vehicle.

Egg Centric

Completely pointless IMO for almost everyone.

If your car needs higher octane petrol you'll know (and having a car that's mapped to 98 RON I can confirm it's pretty annoying - you can only fill up at Esso, Shell, Tesco and Gulf as the other supers are 97). The vast majority don't and almost anything will safely run on 95 RON even if it's not producing full power since that's been a legal requirement since the 90s.

I owned my previous car from 34k to well over 200k miles. Always kept an eye on fuel economy, and obviously it gradually got worse over the years. (Average of 70 mpg gradually reducing to low 60's)
I then had a fuel injector issue, and as a last resort to fix it, I dropped the fuel filter housing and filled it with redex to flush the system through. Not only did it fix the issue, but fuel economy sharply rose back up and to 67/68 mpg. It's now part of my regular servicing schedule to put redex in the tank.

(This is kind of niche thing it might be useful cause of the tolulene)

HOOVER29

Completely pointless IMO for almost everyone.

If your car needs higher octane petrol you'll know (and having a car that's mapped to 98 RON I can confirm it's pretty annoying - you can only fill up at Esso, Shell, Tesco and Gulf as the other supers are 97). The vast majority don't and almost anything will safely run on 95 RON even if it's not producing full power since that's been a legal requirement since the 90s.

(This is kind of niche thing it might be useful cause of the tolulene)
Always used it in my petrol cars.
The cavaliers always responded nicely to a dose.
Tried the diesel one in my present car & the mpg went up by around 4 mpg, hardly worth singing about but over 10,000 miles it’ll add up

Junctionman

On Moderation
The E10 petrol debate i remember and another debate was supermarket fuel ,i worked someone who would not use supermarket fuel at all ............now i don`t want to start a debate about all this ,it when i saw Redex on the shelf i thought mmmm that brings back memories

i do use Tesco E10 in my C3 Aircross and i treat it to a tank of Momentum now and again

Egg Centric

Tesco were actually the first in the UK to have (routine) 99 RON with mometum fuel ...

There's a lot of absolute ****e talked about fuel. It is very much like herbal medicine.

Even if it does matter to your car theoretically it has to be said that most people drive in such a way that it's irrelevant anyway.