• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Relaxing restrictions for Christmas Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
I was a Facebook post “this time next year, will we be back to normal” and the vast majority of replies were “no, it won’t be safe”, sadly
That is typical of Facebook posters and i would not take any notice of what you read on there. A lot of it will be the selfish hope that they are still "working" from home.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DustyBin

Established Member
That is typical of Facebook posters and i would not take any notice of what you read on there. A lot of it will be the selfish hope that they are still "working" from home.

The short-termism we've seen, and continue to see, from a significant proportion of the population beggars belief.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Going up social media in early Feb was the nearest I will ever get to an unconscious premonition - if thats even a thing...

317 forever

Established Member
Upon speaking to a few ex-colleagues in the police force, they said they are getting that many calls about Covid breaches & people not self isolating, that many calls are simply not being followed up.

Don't forget - pre-covid, the police were stretched enough with routine jobs like domestics and mental health. The Covid situation is just yet more work for an overwhelmed police force.

I would say - once being in the police myself, that the Nottingham incident involving the 30 students and the £40,000 fine, would probably have been reported as a 'disturbance' with multiple 999 calls being made by the residents in the street. Therefore, the local cops would have had to act on it.

Its fair to say that if you do not follow the rules (to a T) and don't make a drunken numpty of yourself, there is a very slim chance of being fined. All the people who have been slapped with fines seem to be the type of idiots who bring attention on themselves through having parties or displaying nuisance behaviour (normally fueled by alcohol).

Going back to the original topic - if people do decide to have a meal and a few drinks at Christmas it is unlikely they will get fined unless they are very unlucky or very stupid in their behaviour.

CJ

The police are right to prioritise breaking up groups breaching Covid rules than questioning individuals, unless for example they are not wearing a mask where it is mandatory. After all, groups of Covid lawbreakers are doing more to cause the virus to spread than such individuals.

Ianigsy

The police are right to prioritise breaking up groups breaching Covid rules than questioning individuals, unless for example they are not wearing a mask where it is mandatory. After all, groups of Covid lawbreakers are doing more to cause the virus to spread than such individuals.

Living about 20 minutes away from the nearest police station, I would also guess that there’s not much point in Plod going out somewhere unless it’s reasonably likely that there’s going to be somebody to catch.

james60059

One reason I ditched FaceAche back in March. Too many Karen's (my ex is called Karen and she is just like that :lol:)

High Dyke

Established Member
One reason I ditched FaceAche back in March. Too many Karen's (my ex is called Karen and she is just like that :lol:)
I ditched my account a couple of years ago, after having to defend too many colleagues at disciplinary hearings for misuse or using at work. I don't miss it.

Now, if hospitality venues aren't open by Christmas then, I would miss going for a beer on Christmas Day. Other aspects of the holiday period don't bother me the same.

Crossover

Established Member
I am still on it and it has some useful stuff, but have started muting a few people who post the seemingly endless scaremongering and scapegoating Covid posts. Much happier to look at some nice photos of trains etc!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I only use it for the messenger functionality at this point.

87electric

There's only one person who visits every household. Santa. He is the super spreader and shame on him if he does not isolate this year.

DB

There's only one person who visits every household. Santa. He is the super spreader and shame on him if he does not isolate this year.

Have you considered whether it might be transmissible to reindeer?

scrapy

Established Member
The thin end of the wedge. Any respect for the police will disappear if they prosecute over the Christmas season. If they go into houses on Christmas Day or Boxing day, as you say, there will be civil unrest.

There's only so much people can take.
Do police have the power to enter people's homes to do this? Another newspaper article I read a few weeks ago (sorry don't even know what paper so can't quote) stated that police cannot enter your home to enforce covid regulations and can only enter your home without a warrant if they suspect a serious crime has been committed (not something that carries a fixed penalty) or if there has been a breach of the peace that is still ongoing. Obviously if you choose to let them in that's a different matter, however they must leave your property if requested to do so.

There does seem to be police who are acting beyond their powers for example demanding those with mask exemptions carry documentation at the moment.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Do you think we live in a society where the rule of law still matters?

What with the abolition of the right to protest et al.
If anyone causes trouble I'm sure Boris will just issue another decree.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Do police have the power to enter people's homes to do this? Another newspaper article I read a few weeks ago (sorry don't even know what paper so can't quote) stated that police cannot enter your home to enforce covid regulations and can only enter your home without a warrant if they suspect a serious crime has been committed (not something that carries a fixed penalty) or if there has been a breach of the peace that is still ongoing. Obviously if you choose to let them in that's a different matter, however they must leave your property if requested to do so.

There does seem to be police who are acting beyond their powers for example demanding those with mask exemptions carry documentation at the moment.

As an ex-cop myself there are various powers the police have to enter private addresses such as Section 17 of the Police & Criminal Evidence Act which is to protect life & limb and to prevent & detect criminal offences, if there is evidence of them taking place.

There is also Common Law powers such as entering an address to prevent a Breach of the Peace - I would say this applies to the rowdy house parties which have been highlighted a few times during the lockdowns.

Unfortunately, if say it is a peaceful family gathering on Christmas Day with eight people - everyone is inside an address behaving respectfully and enjoying one another's company, I cannot see that police officers have any such powers under the Covid legislation to enter and eject people there and then.

Although, I have been out of the game for over two years now, I do think cops are tending to fall back on their traditional policing powers when responding to Covid related incidents.

CJ

DelayRepay

Established Member
Unfortunately, if say it is a peaceful family gathering on Christmas Day with eight people - everyone is inside an address behaving respectfully and enjoying one another's company, I cannot see that police officers have any such powers under the Covid legislation to enter and eject people there and then.

I can't imagine the police have the resources to investigate every claim that a family has granny round for Christmas lunch, and I can't imagine many police officers would want to get involved. Obviously large/rowdy parties are different.

I hope the news about students being allowed home is a positive sign. It would be very unfair for my student cousin to be allowed to see his family, but for me to be banned from seeing mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.