• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reliability of Rail Replacement bus timetables (OBB/Slovenia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I have had a message today about a change in schedule for a train I am catching on Sunday 12th November, it says ticket remains valid. The Eurocity from Ljubljana to Villach has been replaced by a bus between Jesenice and Villach. We are connecting at Villach onto a Railjet to Vienna.

The alternative schedule shown indicates the bus will leave Jesenice 6 minutes after our Eurocity arrives, arriving in Villach 40 minutes later (google late at night shows a 39 minute drive minimum), this is actually quicker by a few minutes than the train would be. We would then have 15 minutes to get from the bus station to the Railjet. How much can I rely on these timings, it seems like it could be very tight and risky? I assume if the bus gets stuck in traffic we would be able to get a later railjet? All the later ones show as busy with no seat guaranteed without reservation and standing all the way to Vienna for four hours does not sound like my idea of fun!

Anyone got any experience with Rail Replacement Bus schedules?

We also have bus replacements later in the day for the Vienna to Bratislava leg, but as this is a local train I am a bit less concerned, it seems the buses are timed with the trains.

I am surprised by the short notice of it, and as I am doubtful of the rail replacement bus timings I am considering taking the £40 hit and buying a new ticket via Maribor, especially with further disruption later in the journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
If it's a rail replacement bus - would it not terminate at Villach station, not the bus station?
The OBB journey Planner shows the bus station, which granted is across the road from Villach Hbf, but still not right outside.

Veteran Member
The OBB journey Planner shows the bus station, which granted is across the road from Villach Hbf, but still not right outside.
A look at Street View shows a two-lane city street, nothing more, between the bus platforms and the station building - you could scarcely get nearer. The OeBB website says 82m as the crow flies and 150m walk.

As the next RJ is the Venice service, I would splash out EUR3.- on a reservation for it in case the connection doesn't make.

Incidentally, I would have thought EC112 which normally carries the through coaches from 212 is more likely to be held, and you could ask to be rerouted that way.

My biggest concern would be that the train from Ljubljana runs late. My one experience a few years ago was fine, but....

YorkshireBear

Established Member
A look at Street View shows a two-lane city street, nothing more, between the bus platforms and the station building - you could scarcely get nearer. The OeBB website says 82m as the crow flies and 150m walk.

As the next RJ is the Venice service, I would splash out EUR3.- on a reservation for it in case the connection doesn't make.

Incidentally, I would have thought EC112 which normally carries the through coaches from 212 is more likely to be held, and you could ask to be rerouted that way.

My biggest concern would be that the train from Ljubljana runs late. My one experience a few years ago was fine, but....
That isn't a bad shout actually, forgot about reservation only tickets!

My other issue, is if we do end up on that later train we get to Bratislava really late as well which isn't desirable, but it might be the best way.

Veteran Member
That isn't a bad shout actually, forgot about reservation only tickets!

My other issue, is if we do end up on that later train we get to Bratislava really late as well which isn't desirable, but it might be the best way.
I'm getting 1944 at Petrzalka, 2023 at Hl.St. from the 1314 RJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.