• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining DMU Diagrams on the Liverpool-Manchester/Preston Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

darylyates17

Are there any diagrams that are still DMUs instead of 319s on Liverpool-Manchester/Preston Routes as Im sure some Bank Quay-Lime St services on Saturdays are still DMUs and its get me wondering whats not booked as a 319 yet

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The hourly Sunday service via St Helens Central still works through to Blackpool, so is still DMU worked for obvious reasons.

Leyland155

Some time ago, I took the Sunday 08:59 service from Manchester Pic to Liverpool which was indeed operated by a Class 142. It appears that this service may still be DMU operated as the train arrives into Platform 3 at Liverpool and then departs to Manchester Ox Rd on the non-electrified route via Warrington Central 21 minutes later.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/LIV/2017/02/26/1003

Maybe someone could confirm this?

Last edited:

notlob.divad

Established Member
The hourly Sunday service via St Helens Central still works through to Blackpool, so is still DMU worked for obvious reasons.

And even when it doesn't work through for engineering or likewise on a Sunday it is always a DMU.

There are certainly some weekday services that are too. A repositioning Blackpool to Liverpool in order to return the until to Allerton And a similar move that comes off a Manchester to wigan diagram.

Topgun333

Some time ago, I took the Sunday 08:59 service from Manchester Pic to Liverpool which was indeed operated by a Class 142. It appears that this service may still be DMU operated as the train arrives into Platform 3 at Liverpool and then departs to Manchester Ox Rd on the non-electrified route via Warrington Central 21 minutes later.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/LIV/2017/02/26/1003

Maybe someone could confirm this?

All stoppers operated by northern on the non-electrified CLC line between Manchester and Liverpool via Warrington Central are operated by Class 142s and150s with the occasional 156 showing up too.

Mollman

Established Member
There is at least one diagram on WBQ - Lime Street on a Saturday which is a 142/156 combi, noticed this weekend that the 156 had Helsby as the destination on the inner end so I am wondering if the 156s is detached in the afternoon to run the Ellesmere Port shuttle.

ed1971

On Mondays to Saturdays, there are now only two Northern services from Liverpool Lime street direct to Blackpool North. They are the 07:57 and the 17:16. In the opposite direction, there is only the 18:03. These three services have to be diesel worked. However, these have started and terminated at Preston on the last few Saturdays due to the electrification works on the Blackpool line.

I was in Liverpool on Sat 4th February. I was somewhat surprised that the 1716 curtailed service to Preston was still worked with a 142/156 combi. I expected a 319 would have been used. I also saw another couple of services between Liverpool and Wigan being worked by 142s. The 10:32 Liverpool LS to Wigan NW was worked by 142005. Can anyone clarify if this diagram is normally a diesel or if 142005 was deputising for a 319?

I also note that the 18:21 from Salford Crescent goes to Wigan North Western rather than Wallgate. Does this unit still go forward to work the 19:03 Wigan North western to Liverpool LS?

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not sure about midweek, but on saturdays, 07:31 Wigan NW to Liverpool Lime St. is a dmu. It is booked into Platform 8 at Lime St., and then forms a service to Manchester Oxford Road.

An early saturday morning service from Liverpool to Manchester Victoria is also normally a dmu. (07:46 from Lime St., I think)

TC60054

There is at least one diagram on WBQ - Lime Street on a Saturday which is a 142/156 combi, noticed this weekend that the 156 had Helsby as the destination on the inner end so I am wondering if the 156s is detached in the afternoon to run the Ellesmere Port shuttle.

Nope - the 142/156 combi works Liverpool to Warrington until about 1630 then switches to work a round trip to Manchester Oxford Road via Warrington Central, Warrington Central shuttle, then back to Allerton, iirc.

Whether the unit/units come off the morning Ellesmere Port run(s?) is a different matter completely however.

Mollman

Established Member
Nope - the 142/156 combi works Liverpool to Warrington until about 1630 then switches to work a round trip to Manchester Oxford Road via Warrington Central, Warrington Central shuttle, then back to Allerton, iirc.

Whether the unit/units come off the morning Ellesmere Port run(s?) is a different matter completely however.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.