• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining Effects of Covid

dk1

Veteran Member
Who would have thought that in a modern democracy you could be questioned by the police for being outside. Its really chilling to think how we allowed the state to overstep its bounds in the way it did.
Yes I know but in the early months we knew no different as the world seemed a scary place with no vaccine on the immediate horizon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon75

On Moderation
Who would have thought that in a modern democracy you could be questioned by the police for being outside. Its really chilling to think how we allowed the state to overstep its bounds in the way it did.
I would have thought the police had better things to do, as they claim they understaffed and under resourced

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes I know but in the early months we knew no different as the world seemed a scary place with no vaccine on the immediate horizon.
Yes I can have a bit of sympathy with that but I think by the end of April that level of response was way overboard from the police. But, personally, my main issue with the police was they seemed to focus on enforcing the guidance as if it was law rather than the law itself! Wasn't it the Northamptonshire police chief who said his officers would be checking people's shopping trolleys to make sure they were buying 'essentials' (something that was never a legal requirement) who had to row it back, or Derbyshire police who went chasing after hill walkers with a drone (again, not illegal). Police driving past people in parks with loudhailers, quizzing people for "pausing" on a bench, etc etc. None of this was illegal.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Yes I can have a bit of sympathy with that but I think by the end of April that level of response was way overboard from the police. But, personally, my main issue with the police was they seemed to focus on enforcing the guidance as if it was law rather than the law itself! Wasn't it the Northamptonshire police chief who said his officers would be checking people's shopping trolleys to make sure they were buying 'essentials' (something that was never a legal requirement) who had to row it back, or Derbyshire police who went chasing after hill walkers with a drone (again, not illegal). Police driving past people in parks with loudhailers, quizzing people for "pausing" on a bench, etc etc. None of this was illegal.

He certainly did! Seems to have got away with it, brushed under the carpet.
Recently seen wearing medals including those earned by veterans of the Falklands War; remarkable achievement because he was 15 when the war ended. Wonder if he'll get away with that, as well.
A force that doesn't bother to record crime (as in breaking the law) with a crime number let alone doing anything more in my experience, strange priorities.

Enthusiast

The (over) reaction by the police was part of the master plan to put the fear of God into the population. This is an extract from a paper which was prepared by SAGE’s "behavioural science sub-group SPI-B" for discussion at SAGE #18 on 23rd March 2020:

Persuasion

2. Perceived threat: A substantial number of people still do not feel sufficiently personally threatened; it could be that they are reassured by the low death rate in their demographic group, although levels of concern may be rising. Having a good understanding of the risk has been found to be positively associated with adoption of COVID-19 social distancing measures in Hong Kong.
The perceived level of personal threat needs to be increased among those who are complacent, using hard-hitting emotional messaging. [my emphasis]

Having the police roaming round, issuing penalties to people for being outside without an excuse obviously served to emphasise the "perceived level of personal threat" posed by the disease. It was an outrageous strategy for any government to adopt and but for it, people, left to their own devices and discretion, may have adopted a more measured approach instead of this outrageous lunacy.

The after effects of this very real "Project Fear" are still being felt. I know a number of people who are still reluctant to go out, avoid crowded places and one or two who still wear a facemask. They have effectively been scarred for life by the totally unnecessary Draconian measures which were introduced, and which were prolonged far more than could be reasonably justified. The people who did this should never be forgiven. But that's not a conclusion that will come from the farcical Covid enquiry which seems more intent on settling political scores than getting to the truth.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The (over) reaction by the police was part of the master plan to put the fear of God into the population. This is an extract from a paper which was prepared by SAGE’s "behavioural science sub-group SPI-B" for discussion at SAGE #18 on 23rd March 2020:

Persuasion

2. Perceived threat: A substantial number of people still do not feel sufficiently personally threatened; it could be that they are reassured by the low death rate in their demographic group, although levels of concern may be rising. Having a good understanding of the risk has been found to be positively associated with adoption of COVID-19 social distancing measures in Hong Kong.
The perceived level of personal threat needs to be increased among those who are complacent, using hard-hitting emotional messaging. [my emphasis]

Having the police roaming round, issuing penalties to people for being outside without an excuse obviously served to emphasise the "perceived level of personal threat" posed by the disease. It was an outrageous strategy for any government to adopt and but for it, people, left to their own devices and discretion, may have adopted a more measured approach instead of this outrageous lunacy.

The after effects of this very real "Project Fear" are still being felt. I know a number of people who are still reluctant to go out, avoid crowded places and one or two who still wear a facemask. They have effectively been scarred for life by the totally unnecessary Draconian measures which were introduced, and which were prolonged far more than could be reasonably justified. The people who did this should never be forgiven. But that's not a conclusion that will come from the farcical Covid enquiry which seems more intent on settling political scores than getting to th etruth.
Trouble is there are those who had a cavalier attitude to the risks (including No10 before mid March). So unfortunately a one size fits all approach means over the top threats for some were probably not enough but were definitely over the top for others. It was a mess.

By the end of first quarter of 2020 panic was setting in. I know at my place of work we had a lot of lorries connecting us to Northern Italy so we were getting very worried. Lets not forget Covid was killing people and people were dying who could have survived if the NHS had not been getting overrun. Perhaps we are forgetting how dire things were looking. The state certainly needed to get buy in to the regime required. It was all very un-rehersed.

I was one of those who had never had a bad Flu or cold. To get Covid and be laid low for 6 days (in bed unconcious - fever) was a real surprise. My partner has long Covid and she had two friends die and another connection die. We are not very cautious but she is still very nervous of Covid.

I do think that after the initial complacency it was inevitable that an over reaction would result. It dragged on for too long. But it still puzzles me how long a more draconian lock down persisted in China. I don't buy that being due to the authoritarian state, it must have been costing China an awful lot of money, is there more to it than that ?.

Last edited:

Eyersey468

Established Member

Persuasion

The after effects of this very real "Project Fear" are still being felt. I know a number of people who are still reluctant to go out, avoid crowded places and one or two who still wear a facemask. They have effectively been scarred for life by the totally unnecessary Draconian measures which were introduced, and which were prolonged far more than could be reasonably justified. The people who did this should never be forgiven. But that's not a conclusion that will come from the farcical Covid enquiry which seems more intent on settling political scores than getting to the truth.
I for one will never forgive the government or the media for the appalling messaging around Covid.

zero

Having the police roaming round, issuing penalties to people for being outside without an excuse obviously served to emphasise the "perceived level of personal threat" posed by the disease.

It certainly emphasised the level of personal threat posed by the police. The disease, not so much. (But to be fair police were a lot worse in countries other than the UK.)

Strangely it was safe for police to gather in groups of 6+ and stand closer than 2m apart while going around telling others it was not safe to do so.

Last edited:

androdas

I think the worrying part for me is the Behavioural Science work or 'Nudge Unit' as it is known didn't start and end with covid. It has been on the go since 2010 and still is, albeit partly hidden and privatised. Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioural_Insights_Team.

It lists some of their 'Projects' as:

• Using social norms to increase tax payments
  • Increasing fines payments through text messaging
  • Increasing loft insulation by encouraging people to clear out their lofts
  • Increasing the rate Disabled People are sanctioned by DWP
It also shows their tentacles have spread worldwide, all very Orwellian if you ask me! especially as a large proportion of the people who became little hitlers "voluntary covid marshalls" were not even aware they were being used as puppets for the government.

nw1

Established Member

But I think it was established that you could not spread it outside while standing or sitting well over 2m from the nearest person.

So police harassing people sitting down in the park 10 metres away from the nearest other person was utterly unnecessary, and just authoritarianism for the sake of it.

I do think that after the initial complacency it was inevitable that an over reaction would result. It dragged on for too long. But it still puzzles me how long a more draconian lock down persisted in China. I don't buy that being due to the authoritarian state, it must have been costing China an awful lot of money, is there more to it than that ?.
I think you're underestimating just how authoritarian the Chinese government is.

Persuasion

This, in my view, was quite unacceptable and, quite frankly, rather creepy behaviour. Inflating the level of risk in excess of what it actually was could lead to an exacerbation of problems such as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. But, of course, mental health didn't matter. If you were suffering mental health problems, the attitude was just to "man (or woman, of course) up, at least you don't have Covid".

They should absolutely have not been allowed to manipulate people in this fashion.

He certainly did! Seems to have got away with it, brushed under the carpet.
Good grief, checking what products you buy at a shop? He later U-turned on it, but even still.

Last edited:

scarby

The "world" seemed a crazy place because, as noted in some of the posts above, that was the messaging by governments. They made it seem crazy.

But it wasn't. In Sweden where I live I continued to go to the pub in April 2020 and lived life reasonably normally. There were serious restrictions in Sweden, more than many realise (for example all large gatherings were prohibited, no audience at concerts, sport, etc etc.). However, the government's messaging was more on the lines of "Something bad is happening. However, there's really only so much we can do about it and we need to keep society functioning."

Enthusiast

But it still puzzles me how long a more draconian lock down persisted in China. I don't buy that being due to the authoritarian state, it must have been costing China an awful lot of money, is there more to it than that ?.

That happened because the Chinese Communist Party settled from the outset on a "zero Covid" policy. Outbreaks were met with ruthless reactions which confined people to their homes, on occasions even preventing them leaving to get essential supplies, and much more besides. It carried on for as long as it did because, quite clearly, "Zero Covid" was an impossible goal. It was only broken when, even despite the ruthless regime in that country, serious disorder was beginning to occur. It would still be going on now if the Chinese government had its way.

However, the government's messaging was more on the lines of "Something bad is happening. However, there's really only so much we can do about it and we need to keep society functioning."
Which is what should have happened here and elsewhere. Instead normal society was abandoned. The places where people met were forcibly closed and human interaction was seen not as an essential part of our existence, but as an optional luxury, as a privilege which could be (and was) withdrawn at a whim. All in a futile attempt to "control" an airborne respiratory virus. Even worse than that (as if it wasn't bad enough) the people who devised and implemented these restrictions were, of course, far too important to have their lives disrupted in this way and we were soon to learn of the social events (disguised as "essential work activities") that were taking place in government offices.

As I said, the effects of this are still very much in evidence and it must never be allowed to happen again.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The "world" seemed a crazy place because, as noted in some of the posts above, that was the messaging by governments. They made it seem crazy.

But it wasn't. In Sweden where I live I continued to go to the pub in April 2020 and lived life reasonably normally. There were serious restrictions in Sweden, more than many realise (for example all large gatherings were prohibited, no audience at concerts, sport, etc etc.). However, the government's messaging was more on the lines of "Something bad is happening. However, there's really only so much we can do about it and we need to keep society functioning."
I think Sweden just plain and simply did not overreact. Perhaps they were never complacent at the beginning.
But I think it was established that you could not spread it outside while standing or sitting well over 2m from the nearest person.

So police harassing people sitting down in the park 10 metres away from the nearest other person was utterly unnecessary, and just authoritarianism for the sake of it.
Covid was unlikely to be contageous enough that social distancing did not work. If outdoor activities in very small groups was not safe then we were doomed anyway !.
I think you're underestimating just how authoritarian the Chinese government is.
I just wondered at the motivation that kept China so strict for so long - I think more than just authoritarian. It could be too much blind acceptance.

However I have had a bit of experience of China and I could see the undercurrents of rebellion that would only exist if the place was authoritarian !.

Knowing a few Chinese I can see that the population could quite easily be very accepting of diktats from above. We in the UK are taught to be more enquiring and challenging. People moan about it as being disrespectful or even trouble making but it is the life blood of our democracy.

Goodness knows all of this thread would get many of us in jail if we were somewhere else !.

That happened because the Chinese Communist Party settled from the outset on a "zero Covid" policy. Outbreaks were met with ruthless reactions which confined people to their homes, on occasions even preventing them leaving to get essential supplies, and much more besides. It carried on for as long as it did because, quite clearly, "Zero Covid" was an impossible goal. It was only broken when, even despite the ruthless regime in that country, serious disorder was beginning to occur. It would still be going on now if the Chinese government had its way.
Yes China had a very ambitious desire to eradicate Covid even when the rest of the world had given up on that.

Actually I see a parallel mistake. Complacency in China so bad that they refused to believe the doctor that first came up against an alarmingly growing number of cases - they then went to the opposite extreme. In the UK we were comparably less complacent but still complacent - UK then went to the opposite extreme but not as extreme as China was inevitably going to.
Which is what should have happened here and elsewhere. Instead normal society was abandoned. The places where people met were forcibly closed and human interaction was seen not as an essential part of our existence, but as an optional luxury, as a privilege which could be (and was) withdrawn at a whim. All in a futile attempt to "control" an airborne respiratory virus. Even worse than that (as if it wasn't bad enough) the people who devised and implemented these restrictions were, of course, far too important to have their lives disrupted in this way and we were soon to learn of the social events (disguised as "essential work activities") that were taking place in government offices.

As I said, the effects of this are still very much in evidence and it must never be allowed to happen again.
The do as I say not as I do approach really dismays me. When Boris and number 10 were found out I saw little desire within those democratically elected to clean up their act. They should have got rid of Boris and co a lot quicker. Even the opposition should have been more forceful. I will never forgive the Tories for closing ranks over such an awful attitude. Problem is I am not sure I know what Labour stands for and I doubt they do. Hello Liberals/Greens.

Last edited:

Simon75

On Moderation
I found the restrictions over pubs reopening crazy, no logic at all. Like closing at 10pm, or waiting on service only

dk1

Veteran Member

Sounds good. I recall sitting outside Wetherspoons in the cold as soon as they allowed here and didn't care. Was great to be back at a pub.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Many covid restrictions made no sense whatsoever. In December 2021 I went to Belfast to watch a rugby match:

Eating breakfast in the Premier Inn (where I was staying so they already had my details) involved producing a passport and covid app
Pop to Caffe Nero in the city centre and you could have bacon rolls and coffee without papers needing to be produced
Can anyone justify why the law was more stringent when it came to eating breakfast in a hotel?

Around the same time a local primary school near me cancels Christmas nativity plans 'due to covid'
Perfectly legal for the parents to take their kids to the local theatre to see the panto.
Another one that someone needs to explain...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can only believe there would have been a lot more deaths without precautions. Could put that down to our already creaking NHS.
But no-one is talking about there being "no precautions", are they?
It is the sort of thing that we cannot redo differently to see what the difference is. We can compare to other countries but then have to take into account how good their health system is, age/health demographic and how people worked/lived (I recall it being said that in Sweden more people live alone).
Sweden isn't that different a place to us! Don't believe the people who claim that what they did couldn't be replicated here. If you have some statistic that you think would have an impact, feel free to cite it.
I remember France sending people to Germany for intensive care (or was it the other way around).

In early 2020 Northern Italy got hit bad early on and the UK governments attitude was that it won't happen to us. Then around mid March we woke up !. I don't recall the rest of Italy being in the headlines. But where I worked we had a lot of lorries running between Northern Italy and us so we were very "interested" in what was happening in Northern Italy.
Did any of that happen in Sweden?
I would also say that working and commuting as normal but with extra tasks I was warm to the idea of a bit more lockdown !. I certainly liked there being more space on public transport. I think that is something many still want ? - a lasting effect. Other side of the coin is those who were working from home and isolated.
I think some people did want the parts of lockdown that suited them (i.e. the restrictions on others); not everyone is prepared to admit to thinking that way, so at least credit to anyone who admits it and, yes as you say those who had a very different experience; not everyone who called for lockdowns was able to appreciate the impact on others.

The worse thing apart from the mental health aspects of lockdown and restrictions was that overnight it turned many people into pontificating little Hitlers (or Karen's as they've become known). Even in the last week on social media, I seen a photo get posted on one of the groups and within 10 minutes, someone commented "we were in lockdown, why were you out taking photo's of trains?". I'm like seriously
Indeed; as long as people left the house for the purpose of exercise, there was nothing wrong with taking photos (of anything). There was also no requirement for the exercise to be continuous in nature with no breaks. The rules were ridiculous and those who supported/called for them have very much been proven to be very wrong indeed.
Around the same time a local primary school near me cancels Christmas nativity plans 'due to covid'
Perfectly legal for the parents to take their kids to the local theatre to see the panto.
Indeed none of it made sense; as you will know (probably better than me!) but for the benefit of others reading this, schools were very scared of repercussions and very keen to be doing as the local council health officers advised.

In the case of York, we had the truly awful Sharon Stoltz who appeared to delight in imposing ridiculously onerous restrictions. 'Guidance' is treated by schools as if it is a sin not to follow it to the letter.

Schools in York couldn't even do after school clubs, not even outdoor activities, such as football, until after Easter 2021. Even then some chose not to until the Summer. And even then each year group had to be in its own "bubble".

Imagine telling kids that they couldn't mix year groups on an outdoor pitch at 4:15pm however just an hour or so later when the same pitch was used by 'the public' there was an organised session in which not only year groups could mix, but schools could mix. Same place, same activity, just barely more than an hour later. And of course, at a local park, anything was fine.

This individual referred to schools as "Covid-secure" settings, which was a term that only someone who lacks real-world intelligence would use.

Schools are classed as Covid-secure settings and use test and trace to control outbreaks, Ms Stoltz said.

But she said she understands parents’ frustrations: “It seems counter intuitive to not have children mix outside school but that they can mix in school.”

That's the thing about intelligence: someone can have a degree and be clever on theoretical stuff, but when it comes to real-world logic, compassion for others, and an understanding of the bigger picture, some of these people are very lacking in intelligence.

So many of the people who called for and implemented restrictions lacked real world intelligence; I don't care what degrees they have, they're lacking in intelligence where it counts, i.e. common sense!

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Many covid restrictions made no sense whatsoever. In December 2021 I went to Belfast to watch a rugby match:

Eating breakfast in the Premier Inn (where I was staying so they already had my details) involved producing a passport and covid app
Pop to Caffe Nero in the city centre and you could have bacon rolls and coffee without papers needing to be produced
Can anyone justify why the law was more stringent when it came to eating breakfast in a hotel?

It was all so rushed and shambolic. What came about was whatever people thought of with lots of omissions and/or pointless additions. Thats the only reason I don't think it was a sinister plot.

All adds to the impression quite clearly coming out in the Covid enquiry that Matt Hancock did not have much of a plan...
No plan at all in my opinion.

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member

This was all part of the Omicron panic, if I remember right, which all turned out to be a storm in a teacup.

I realise this is an extremely cynical view, but I wonder if the Omicron threat was ramped up and exaggerated as a distraction tactic from the emerging revelations about the blatant rule-breaking of a certain Mr A. B. de Pfeffel Johnson?

Things certainly seemed to go crazy for a short period at the end of 2021, and all for apparently no good reason. And then just a few weeks later, bizarrely, all the restrictions came to an end. Even self-isolation for a positive test result.

Last edited:

james60059

This was all part of the Omicron panic, if I remember right, which all turned out to be a storm in a teacup.

Bit like the Pirola variant a few months back when some elements of the media went as far as saying we could (that magic word :lol:) be in for another lockdown this winter. Good luck with that IF it did happen

Bantamzen

Established Member
I found the restrictions over pubs reopening crazy, no logic at all. Like closing at 10pm, or waiting on service only
The mask requirement when walking around but not sitting was a mad one, especially in my local where door to furthest seat would take you no longer than about 30 seconds! Better still was the one way system in it which involved coming in one door, and leaving from another even though the two exits are practically next to each other at right angles! Worse still is that the gents loos at at the beginning of what was the "exit route", so technically you had to go outside and walk around to the other door when going to the loo. Needless to say this was not rigorously applied!

But by far my favourite "covid safe" application was at my local Tesco Express. They had applied the 2m box system in the isles, meaning that you were always supposed to wait at least one box away from the person in front. It lasted until about 12pm on Day 1 of the lockdown when I went in and saw an assistant coming the "wrong" way down the isles and ignoring the boxes with people in. Anyone that was obeying it suddenly stopped!! It really was a time for the crazies!

island

Veteran Member
The mask requirement when walking around but not sitting was a mad one, especially in my local where door to furthest seat would take you no longer than about 30 seconds!
There was no such rule in England. The rule stated that you needed to wear a face covering except when actively eating or drinking. Someone who was sat down and awaiting service, or who had finished their meal, was required by law to put the face covering back on. The requirement applied when entering or within the premises, but not to someone who was leaving the premises.

I don't go to pubs a lot so I can't say how much if at all this was enforced.

Bantamzen

Established Member
There was no such rule in England. The rule stated that you needed to wear a face covering except when actively eating or drinking. Someone who was sat down and awaiting service, or who had finished their meal, was required by law to put the face covering back on. The requirement applied when entering or within the premises, but not to someone who was leaving the premises.

I don't go to pubs a lot so I can't say how much if at all this was enforced.
The rule was enforced as when you were moving about, not when seated.

Howardh

Established Member
Used to hear a lot about named variants, such as Omricon (sp??). Covid is still amongst us, but I never read of which is currently the prevailing variant, before restrictions were lifted and we had the vaccines I recall thinking the domiant variant was more spreadable but less potent. What's the situation today, as we enter winter?

nw1

Established Member
Bit like the Pirola variant a few months back when some elements of the media went as far as saying we could (that magic word :lol:) be in for another lockdown this winter. Good luck with that IF it did happen

Missed that one, it can't have had that much coverage. Just as well, really.

Howardh

Established Member
That's basically answered my question above!
With all the schenanigans r/e the enquiry and the total clustermess of disorganisation from the government - it would take one of real serious deadly proportions to force them to lock us down again; basically if they did I reckon nowadays it would be just about unenforceable. The Ministry Of Illegal Parties telling us not to party??

nw1

Established Member
That's basically answered my question above!
With all the schenanigans r/e the enquiry and the total clustermess of disorganisation from the government - it would take one of real serious deadly proportions to force them to lock us down again; basically if they did I reckon nowadays it would be just about unenforceable. The Ministry Of Illegal Parties telling us not to party??

Just searched for it and apparently the tabloids are going on about it, as of now (well, 2 days ago), doubtless to encourage more people to view their websites.

The one I did hear about was "Eris" which was over the summer. Was abroad at the time and it occasionally got mentioned on the media, but seemed to be nothing to worry about.

danm14

The requirement for "proof of Covid status" in Northern Ireland applied only to hospitality premises that were licensed to sell alcohol or which allowed consumption of BYOB alcohol (although most of the latter that I am aware of did not actually follow the legislation).

Had you chosen Wetherspoons for breakfast rather than Caffe Nero, you would also have had to show papers.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bit like the Pirola variant a few months back when some elements of the media went as far as saying we could (that magic word :lol:) be in for another lockdown this winter.

I can imagine the disappointment of people in big houses relishing another winter of sitting at home watching Netflix all day.

Howardh

Established Member
Just searched for it and apparently the tabloids are going on about it, as of now (well, 2 days ago), doubtless to encourage more people to view their websites.

The one I did hear about was "Eris" which was over the summer. Was abroad at the time and it occasionally got mentioned on the media, but seemed to be nothing to worry about.
Not sure these days whether it's a variant or a storm.