• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining NR signal boxes - Par signal box closing

Odyssey

Interesting story on BBC website today about Par signal box closing this year:
BBC News - Historic railway signal box at Par to close after 144 years

The line in the article that caught my eye was this one:
British Railways inherited about 10,000 signal boxes when it was formed in 1948. At the end of 2019, Network Rail said 86 were still in use.

Can anyone please clarify what this "86" number refers to? Is it the number of mechanical lever frame signal boxes still in use? Or the total number of all types of signal box, level crossing box, signalling centre, ROCs etc? Would have thought the latter number would be far higher than 86?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Backroom_boy

AFAIK It's several hundred but there doesn't see to be an easy figure available and it's always a bit of a challenge whenever it's asked.

Railsigns

Established Member
Interesting story on BBC website today about Par signal box closing next year:
It's closing this year.

Can anyone please clarify what this "86" number refers to? Is it the number of mechanical lever frame signal boxes still in use? Or the total number of all types of signal box, level crossing box, signalling centre, ROCs etc? Would have thought the latter number would be far higher than 86?
There are currently something like 600 signal boxes and signalling centres etc. in use on NR.

bleeder4

I have found a reference on the Network Rail website to 86 "listed signal boxes" still in operation, so I believe that is what the BBC are referring to.

"But fewer signal boxes still work as part of our signalling systems. At the end of 2019, there were 166 listed signal boxes on our network, including 86 still in use."

Odyssey

I have found a reference on the Network Rail website to 86 "listed signal boxes" still in operation, so I believe that is what the BBC are referring to.

"But fewer signal boxes still work as part of our signalling systems. At the end of 2019, there were 166 listed signal boxes on our network, including 86 still in use."
Thanks for this. BBC clearly not done their research properly.

Will try to count the signal boxes listed in the latest Periodical Operating Notice when I get a chance. Might take a while if figure near 600!

Snow1964

Established Member
Update on dates of closures in South West for resignalling

Cornwall signalling upgrade​

In Cornwall Network Rail is carrying out a multi-million pound programme to improve the signalling. This work will see the replacement of older-style signals and signalling equipment with brand-new, modern technology. Once complete, this will help to improve train service reliability and reduce delays incurred by signalling issues.

In order for this work to be done, the Cornish Main Line will be temporarily closed in phases between Tuesday 27 February and Sunday 10 March 2024 with buses replacing trains on affected routes.

Devon signalling upgrade​

In Devon Network Rail is currently carrying out overnight upgrade work to improve the signalling between Totnes and Plymouth.

In March, a seven-day closure of the line will be required in order to complete the work. As a result, the railway between Totnes and Plymouth will be closed between Saturday 16 and Friday 22 March. This will include Exeter St Davids to Newton Abbot over the weekend and on most weeknights during this period.

When trains will be affected​

Tuesday 27 February to Sunday 10 March inclusive​

This closure will affect trains in Cornwall over three phases:

• Tuesday 27 February to Sunday 3 March – line closed between St Austell and St Erth (including the branch line to Falmouth Docks)
  • Monday 4 to Friday 8 March – line closed between Liskeard and St Erth (including branch lines to Newquay and Falmouth Docks)
  • Weekend of 9 and 10 March – line closed between Plymouth and St Erth (including branch lines to Looe, Newquay and Falmouth Docks)

Saturday 16 to Friday 22 March inclusive​

This closure will affect trains in Devon over two phases:

• Weekend of 16 and 17 March – line closed between Exeter St Davids and Plymouth
  • Monday 18 to Friday 22 March – line closed between Totnes and Plymouth (extending to Exeter St Davids after 21:40 Monday to Thursday nights)

childwallblues

Established Member
Parbold Signal Box between Wigan Wallgate ane Southport is closing during a 9 day closure at half term. The box is subject to a preservation order.

Colin1501

Update on dates of closures in South West for resignalling

I seem to recall reading somewhere (not sure where) that commissioning of Cornwall resignalling has gone back to May 2025, meaning a short stay of execution for the boxes at Lostwithiel, Par and Truro. Anyone able to shed any more light on this?

Thanks,

Colin

Oxfordblues

I does make you wonder when the BBC report a completely bogus statistic how much else they get wrong!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I seem to recall reading somewhere (not sure where) that commissioning of Cornwall resignalling has gone back to May 2025, meaning a short stay of execution for the boxes at Lostwithiel, Par and Truro. Anyone able to shed any more light on this?

Thanks,

Colin
No,Truro has closed and the other two close shortly.