• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reminiscences

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
The merest whiff of diesel fumes transports me instantly back to being in the rear coach of the Euston > Stranraer south of Girvan in the mid-'80s, leaning out of the last window looking back down the lonely single line winding its way across the desolate moors, the only sound being the snarling 47 hauling the heavy train along this difficult route, and releasing mountains of clag into the otherwise clean air.

I'm not normally in favour of duffs in any shape or form, but this memory is so strong, and so easily evoked, that it has a powerful hold on me. <sigh>

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnuk123

Established Member
The merest whiff of diesel fumes transports me instantly back to being in the rear coach of the Euston > Stranraer south of Girvan in the mid-'80s, leaning out of the last window looking back down the lonely single line winding its way across the desolate moors, the only sound being the snarling 47 hauling the heavy train along this difficult route, and releasing mountains of clag into the otherwise clean air.

I'm not normally in favour of duffs in any shape or form, but this memory is so strong, and so easily evoked, that it has a powerful hold on me. <sigh>

Keep it together man,stiff upper lip and all that.

Rugd1022

Aye indeed, we'll have no falling apart in the ranks..... mind you, having said that, I had an unexpected nostalgia tinged 'moment' at work this morning which temporarily made me go all misty eyed.... I was sat at Washwood Heath unloading 6Z63 this morning and drew up alongside 08 588 which was idling away to itself on an adjacent road, the various rattles and rumblings coming from it's engine took me right back to better days when they were almost everywhere, it really was quite strange, but in a nice way.

(Stiff upper lip regained, normal service resumed ;))

4SRKT

Established Member

I know, I know. I'm doing the WAG-Ex both ways in a couple of weeks for a bit of loco-hauled mk II fun. Not the same I know, but as near as you can get (and at £17 advance each way Holyhead > Fishguard an absolute bargain :)).

Johnuk123

Established Member
I know, I know. I'm doing the WAG-Ex both ways in a couple of weeks for a bit of loco-hauled mk II fun. Not the same I know, but as near as you can get (and at £17 advance each way Holyhead > Fishguard an absolute bargain :)).

That is a bargain, remember you're representing your country so no blubbing.

What about food - ? - when HST's sets came in , you could get the Express Burger for 20pence , chips for the same price , - draught beer for a while !

Standard MK1 buffet fare of cheese , cheese and tomato , ham and tomato - (thats it) - individual Lyons "fruit" pies , Maxpak "tea" and "coffee".

Individual Lyons Fruit pies- those were the days. Fondly remember buying them at a kiosk on Manchester Victoria station. A Traveller's Fare sandwich and a can of coke set me up!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I seem to remember buying a very nice egg sandwich from a kiosk on one of the platforms at Bristol Temple meads in the early 1980's. I'm sure I would have had a Coke as well!

Welshman

Established Member
Very occasionally, for a little "treat" my Mother and I would have Afternoon Tea in the Restaurant Car.

We'd sit there, often with the whole Car to ourselves, while a uniformed waiter brought us a pot of Indian or China Tea, sandwiches with the crusts cut off and a selection of cakes - all while the world passed-by outside the windows.

I think it was about 3/6d each, and all we could afford at the time, but the feeling of being like Royalty sustained us well into the irksome queue in the pouring rain for the bus home from the station.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
55 years old and lived (still have ahouse there though live in the USA now) on the edge of the WCML. Remember steam running and my first double headed 400er (Class 50s to the rest of you). Then I remember my first named Brush(class 47) d1673 Cyclops - rare inthe northwest. I remember the TOPS numbering system starting. I remember the Crewe -Glasgow electrification extension and the masts, catenerary, cantilevers, and wires being installed and 84001 on a freight train. The 87s were introduced and it took ages (4 weeks) for me to see my last one - 87032. My last one for haulage was 87026. With a tripto Crewe works I could generally clear my class 87s in less than a month. Gave upcounting after 20 sets.
Then D200/40122 running down the Settle and Carlise line for ages on scheduled services. Those were the days.

Established Member
Then D200/40122 running down the Settle and Carlise line for ages on scheduled services. Those were the days.
yeah i done D200 and 56030, up and down the S&C on both.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The following photo (One of Ian Carrs') will probably be of interest to you if you haven't already seen it: 40015 stabled in the sidings, after working a footex from Blackpool North to Seaburn on 22nd August 1981:

Christ almighty that brings back a ton of memories, used to sit on the wall near the signal box. Sprinterguy I used to live on Duke St North at the time, just accross from Redby School, had the red shop on the corner, about 500yds from yours. Moved to Gateshead to live with me Dad.
Unfortunately Tyne Yard is poor these days, you can stand thier for hours and no frieght will come in at all and other times, you'll get 3 or 4 in an hour and nowt again. A few years back, my dad and I used to take our dogs down just before midnight for a walk, we couldnt sleep, was our excuse:D:D, big flask of coffee and a pocket full of dog biscuits for our mutts, kept em from chasing the rabbits and barking like hell, we'd go down to the bridge at the north entrance into Tyne Yard, theres was a pathway through the fields that gets you lineside or under the flyover, handy because the lights off the motorway, light up that end, so it's possible to see the numbers from frieght going in and out, plus the points into the yard are there and path signals there too, so as soon as an F or a Y and the diagonal dots come up you know summats coming, we mainly went to see the 2 92's north and southbound on the Enterprises but from midnight till 2am, there'd be a good 6 or 7 moves in and out of the yard, to be honest I very rarely go by the place now/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Loved reading that.

thanks mate, I think most of us will have a very similar tale to tell, be it the steam days or in my case, diesel

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

And siphons across Rannoch Moor in Scotland

ronshirt

My love of railways stems from weekends spent visiting my Grandma in Liverpool in the 1960's. At the back of her terrace house in Mossley Hill was the (4 tracked) mainline into Lime Street and I usually got the back bedroom. I can just remember steam on passenger trains and wondering what was so important that the people in the carriages had to be travelling instead of tucked up in bed. But my clearest memories are of the electric locos, the EMUs, Lightweight DMUs (to Wales or Manchester?) and the occasional steam loco on the goods lines (I used to love that clanking sound when all the wagons used to concertina/telescope). I can remember seeing a class 20 on goods and a class 08 travelling light engine (Garston to Edge Hill Shed?). Sometimes i used to go into the entry at the back and just stand against the fence - there seemed to be a train every few minutes. Magic for a nipper.

Established Member
My love of railways stems from weekends spent visiting my Grandma in Liverpool in the 1960's. At the back of her terrace house in Mossley Hill was the (4 tracked) mainline into Lime Street and I usually got the back bedroom. I can just remember steam on passenger trains and wondering what was so important that the people in the carriages had to be travelling instead of tucked up in bed. But my clearest memories are of the electric locos, the EMUs, Lightweight DMUs (to Wales or Manchester?) and the occasional steam loco on the goods lines (I used to love that clanking sound when all the wagons used to concertina/telescope). I can remember seeing a class 20 on goods and a class 08 travelling light engine (Garston to Edge Hill Shed?). Sometimes i used to go into the entry at the back and just stand against the fence - there seemed to be a train every few minutes. Magic for a nipper.

that would've been awesome, this thread has certainly evoked some memories.
my gran used to live, opposite wearmouth colliery, i soon found a hole in the wall i could get through to see the coal trains being filled and me uncle got a garage in hendon and even better, round the back of it was the line into south dock, i used to sit on the wall and watch the 08's, 31's, 37's and 56's come and go all day and the drivers would either wave or blow the horn, as they went by. Eventually one Saturday, i plucked up the courage to walk round to the shed and asked the foreman, if i could go round, he said hold on and one of the shunter crew took me round, he told me, he'd seen me sitting on the wall from time to time, so he he took me round the depot, then told me to jump in the shunter and he dropped me off at the wall where i used to sit, i told me nana and she made me write a letter to say thank you and take it round with some quality streets.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Going back to Travellers Fare, I remember the old station buffets at Ashford (Kent - pre rebuild) used to do a lovely mug of hot chocolate. A nice way to round off an hour or two watching the trains as a child.

Johnuk123

Established Member
that would've been awesome, this thread has certainly evoked some memories.
my gran used to live, opposite wearmouth colliery, i soon found a hole in the wall i could get through to see the coal trains being filled and me uncle got a garage in hendon and even better, round the back of it was the line into south dock, i used to sit on the wall and watch the 08's, 31's, 37's and 56's come and go all day and the drivers would either wave or blow the horn, as they went by. Eventually one Saturday, i plucked up the courage to walk round to the shed and asked the foreman, if i could go round, he said hold on and one of the shunter crew took me round, he told me, he'd seen me sitting on the wall from time to time, so he he took me round the depot, then told me to jump in the shunter and he dropped me off at the wall where i used to sit, i told me nana and she made me write a letter to say thank you and take it round with some quality streets.

That's an interesting story, and a nice touch to write the letter and take some sweets round.

Established Member
That's an interesting story, and a nice touch to write the letter and take some sweets round.

I was only about 11 by then but it my nana who made me do it, i wouldnt ever thought of it:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:. A few years later i popped down one sunday afternoon and got round with a couple of mates, there was abouit 5 56's on, a 37 and an 08, always remember cos the majority were obviously tyne yard or Gateshead stalwarts but i did get one a cop at the time, 56074 Kellingly Colliery.:D:D:D:D:D:D

LadyDeltic

My memory doesn't stretch back too far, of course, but I have a nice memory of taking a GNER Class 43 on the ECML in 2003. I didn't take too much in at the time, but I remember my aunty kept getting muddled and pronouncing it as 'gih-NERR'. :P

LE Greys

Established Member
That always makes me think of the peculiar periods of multi-coloured liveries, as seen here at Ipswich. One thing privatisation has done is brought a splash of colour to what was sometimes a rather drab BR.

Attachments

• Photo12_4.jpg
    Photo12_4.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 61

Some great stories,
I will always remember standing on Bournemouth station with my dad in the mid to late 80's
Watching class 33's being attatched to the units that have came from or going to London. Sometimes
a class 73 would turn up as well.
Also the class 47's on the crosscountry runs. Don't know if my memory is playing tricks but I believe
there was a class 08 or 09 stabled at Bournemouth on the small piece of track that is by the
car park by the London bound platform, this would be about 1987 or 1988.
Also can anyone remember several railtours which passed through Bournemouth on a sunday which used locos
That were not usually in passenger traffic, think I remember seeing class 20, 56, 58 and 60's on it. Just remember
That platform 3 was heaving with everyone spreading right down to the road bridge at the end of
platform 4.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Some great stories,
I will always remember standing on Bournemouth station with my dad in the mid to late 80's
Watching class 33's being attatched to the units that have came from or going to London. Sometimes a class 73 would turn up as well.

And thenit got really exciting 1987/88 as they electrified Bournemouth- Weymouth and removed the 4-REPS (driving cars) from service. So virtually all services out of London Waterloo were double headed 73s to Bournemouth and then they put the 33/1s on. I spent a whole week bashing them - sometimes to Clapham Junction or between Southampton and Brockenhurst. Sometimes they were on single 73s and then when in Waterloo I could switch to Victoria and do the Gatwick expresses for a while. MEMORIES

Established Member
L & Y Robert see what you have started, give yourself a pat on the back, great thread and some excellent posts too, keep em coming its been a very enjoyable read.

theblackwatch

Established Member
That always makes me think of the peculiar periods of multi-coloured liveries, as seen here at Ipswich. One thing privatisation has done is brought a splash of colour to what was sometimes a rather drab BR.

There were certainly plenty of colours pre-privatisation after the end of the 'corporate blue' era. I recall being amused in the 80s at seeing a picture of a Network SouthEast liveried coach at Inverness!

L&Y Robert

Thanks 47403 - I am encouraged! Some time ago I wrote this story:
POPPING DOWN TO TOD
This story was told to me by the signalman at Portsmouth level crossing box which is on the Calder Valley to Rose Grove (Burnley) line. There is still a level crossing there, but no signal box – lifting barriers have replaced the white painted gates, at TV camera surveys the scene, and the crossing is remotely controlled from Preston. This line is part of a cross-pennine route now known as the Copy Pit route, from Bradford and Leeds to Preston, and was once heavily used by loose-coupled trains of wagons bringing coal from the Yorkshire coalfield to the factories and cotton mills of Lancashire. Some of this coal traffic left the comparatively gentle Calder Valley line a half-mile short of Todmorden station to veer off to the north climbing through an intersecting valley and almost immediately engine men encountered the start of a steep climb for some 5 miles to the summit at Windy Bridge, under the eye of the Copy Pit signal box. From there the line descends more gently five miles to Gannow junction, on the west side of the town of Burnley. And as loaded trains moved west, an equivalent flow of empties had to be moved back east, and with easier gradient eastbound and no cargo to carry they tended to be a little longer than the loaded west-bounds.

At the time of this story Copy Pit signal box at Windy Bridge controlled entry to lay-by lines on the start of the down-hill on both the Lancs. and Yorkshire sides of the summit, their purpose to turn aside the slow moving goods trains to allow scheduled passenger services to overtake. Whilst in these ‘relief’ roads, as the lay-bys were called, the guard could step down from the brake-van to pin down by hand at least some wagon brakes to help to control the descent. For trains travelling in the Yorkshire direction a splendid home and distant semaphore signal stood just by the arch of the bridge, with a junction arm indicating access to the long lay-by road, the points being on the other, down-hill, side of the bridge. It is indeed a wild and windy spot, as the local passenger train crests the rise the exhaust beat of the engine slackens, and the traveller would sees that the fields an pastures of the lower valley have given way to a wilder landscape of high bare moorland sky lines. On a sunny summer afternoon there is a splendid view from the bridge, the moors sweeping down on both sides, the three lines of rails curving gracefully away on the start of the steep descent to Todmorden. With following faster traffic, goods trains would creep into the lay-by line at this point, whereas passenger trains cresting the rise would shut off steam and clatter down the bank at a spanking pace.

This east-bound lay-by has long-since been removed, but it was a mile and a half long, and re-joined the main running line just short of a level crossing at the urban out-post of Portsmouth, the trap-points leading to a rusty buffer stop right against the very fence of the intersecting roadway. All of this lay just under the windows of Portsmouth crossing signal box, the next one down from Copy Pit.

My story-teller had worked this and neighbouring signal boxes for many years, and lived nearby. Let us call him Ben Greenfield. It was one of those calm, rather mild autumn evenings, a gentle drizzle falling, prematurely dark and with poor visibility. Greenfield clumped over the wet boards and climbed the wooden steps, to report in for the evening shift. His colleague, hearing him coming up the steps, had clocked off, and passed him on the staging saying he had accepted a goods train of empties “on the relief” - that is to say coming down the long lay-by. Greenfield entered the cabin and glanced at the block instruments, recorded his arrival in the register, then almost at once the block bell sounded - Copy was offering the evening passenger train from Blackpool to Todmorden. He rang back, accepting it, and without delay offered it forward to Stansfield Hall where it was in turn promptly accepted. He turned to his levers and pulled off for the main, and by so doing energised an electrical circuit which pulled off to ‘clear’ his distant signal resident on that ‘home’ signal post of Copy, a mile and a half away at the summit. The double green lights thus displayed there gave the driver of the on-coming “fast” the knowledge that the ‘block’ ahead was clear. So now Greenfield had a slow moving train of empties coming down the relief, and a clear road under green lights for the passenger on the main. It was pitch dark on the lines, save for the glimmer of the signal lamps and their dim images reflected on the wet rail. All was quiet, with no sounds except for the drip of the rain on the window-ledge. He wrote up his log, made up his fire, then stepped out onto the staging to re-fill the coal bucket. Then he heard it - the goods was “popping” - short pops of the whistle every few seconds - the signal that engine men used to announce they were running away! Even though it would be moving only very slowly the goods was now out of control - the engine crew could not stop. The drizzle had wetted the rail, the brakes wouldn’t hold, lubricated with water replenished from the rail by the turning wheels. Greenfield peered through the murk up the line - nothing to see, but the view there is obscured by the arches of an overbridge at Mill Dam, a quater mile away. Where was he then? More to the point, where was the passenger train? He strode inside, reached for the phone and pressed the key - “Arthur, where’s the fast?” A pause - then “Just gone by, Ben”. Too late to stop it then, running down the bank at speed, on time and under green signals. It all depends where the goods is - Greenfield went outside again and saw with dismay the lights and bulk of the 8F goods engine emerging from Mill Dam arches - that’s close, very close, but moving at walking pace, the steam hanging about the boiler mixing with the drizzle of rain and still popping its whistle and heading for the buffers. He had about a minute and a half he reckoned, and in imagination saw the big engine sprawling slowly across the roadway, the mangled buffer stops punched clear away, empty featherweight wagons piling up behind and spilling over onto the roadway, onto the running line, and the on-coming passenger train ploughing into the wreckage at fifty miles an hour. He turned to his block instruments - what could he do? He reached for his hand-lamp, but just then the passenger train burst through the middle Mill Dam arch, a line of lighted windows with an energetic tank engine at the head. It was indeed doing fifty miles an hour and covered the quarter-mile in twenty or so of those valuable seconds, sweeping cheerfully by the box and away down the hill and round the curve, red tail-lamp flickering away to nothingness. Strewth! – now he must move quickly - Greenfield threw back the levers - Distant ON, then Home signal ON to release the interlocking, then moving along the frame a step or so hauled over the levers - Relief trap points Opened to Main, Relief exit starter OFF. And a quarter minute later the big dirty steamy engine solemnly squealed out onto the Main, the snake of empties following obediently. Greenfield couldn’t see the crew - too dark, but only they and he would know. The wagons filed slowly past - dum-dum, dum-dum. It was over, the crew had 5 miles now to get control, and if they didn’t manage it in that, they would on the relative flat of Calder Valley. But he mustn’t forget his duties - he now gave “Train Running Away on the Right Line” signal to Stansfield Hall box down in Todmorden, then picked up the phone - Alan Knowles on duty. “He’s just passing here Alan, greasy wet rail probably”. Knowles answered, “Yep! - thanks Ben. Yes, we’ll manage I expect.” Only now did Greenfield’s knees seem suddenly to be made of jelly, and the signal box to seem to tilt slightly to and fro, and why was it so hot and stuffy? He went out onto the staging into the drizzle, holding onto the railing, listened to the silence, breathed deep the moorland air. Then the westbound signal gong sounded, offering yet another coal train up from Tod. He went in - crisis over, and rang back “accepted”, and turned once again to his levers.

Robert Blackburn
May 2007

Last edited:

neilmc

Thanks 47403 - I am encouraged! Some time ago I wrote this story:
POPPING DOWN TO TOD
This story was told to me by the signalman at Portsmouth level crossing box which is on the Calder Valley to Rose Grove (Burnley) line. There is still a level crossing there, but no signal box – lifting barriers have replaced the white painted gates, at TV camera surveys the scene, and the crossing is remotely controlled from Preston. This line is part of a cross-pennine route now known as the Copy Pit route, from Bradford and Leeds to Preston, and was once heavily used by loose-coupled trains of wagons bringing coal from the Yorkshire coalfield to the factories and cotton mills of Lancashire. Some of this coal traffic left the comparatively gentle Calder Valley line a half-mile short of Todmorden station to veer off to the north climbing through an intersecting valley and almost immediately engine men encountered the start of a steep climb for some 5 miles to the summit at Windy Bridge, under the eye of the Copy Pit signal box. From there the line descends more gently five miles to Gannow junction, on the west side of the town of Burnley. And as loaded trains moved west, an equivalent flow of empties had to be moved back east, and with easier gradient eastbound and no cargo to carry they tended to be a little longer than the loaded west-bounds.

At the time of this story Copy Pit signal box at Windy Bridge controlled entry to lay-by lines on the start of the down-hill on both the Lancs. and Yorkshire sides of the summit, their purpose to turn aside the slow moving goods trains to allow scheduled passenger services to overtake. Whilst in these ‘relief’ roads, as the lay-bys were called, the guard could step down from the brake-van to pin down by hand at least some wagon brakes to help to control the descent. For trains travelling in the Yorkshire direction a splendid home and distant semaphore signal stood just by the arch of the bridge, with a junction arm indicating access to the long lay-by road, the points being on the other, down-hill, side of the bridge. It is indeed a wild and windy spot, as the local passenger train crests the rise the exhaust beat of the engine slackens, and the traveller would sees that the fields an pastures of the lower valley have given way to a wilder landscape of high bare moorland sky lines. On a sunny summer afternoon there is a splendid view from the bridge, the moors sweeping down on both sides, the three lines of rails curving gracefully away on the start of the steep descent to Todmorden. With following faster traffic, goods trains would creep into the lay-by line at this point, whereas passenger trains cresting the rise would shut off steam and clatter down the bank at a spanking pace.

This east-bound lay-by has long-since been removed, but it was a mile and a half long, and re-joined the main running line just short of a level crossing at the urban out-post of Portsmouth, the trap-points leading to a rusty buffer stop right against the very fence of the intersecting roadway. All of this lay just under the windows of Portsmouth crossing signal box, the next one down from Copy Pit.

My story-teller had worked this and neighbouring signal boxes for many years, and lived nearby. Let us call him Ben Greenfield. It was one of those calm, rather mild autumn evenings, a gentle drizzle falling, prematurely dark and with poor visibility. Greenfield clumped over the wet boards and climbed the wooden steps, to report in for the evening shift. His colleague, hearing him coming up the steps, had clocked off, and passed him on the staging saying he had accepted a goods train of empties “on the relief” - that is to say coming down the long lay-by. Greenfield entered the cabin and glanced at the block instruments, recorded his arrival in the register, then almost at once the block bell sounded - Copy was offering the evening passenger train from Blackpool to Todmorden. He rang back, accepting it, and without delay offered it forward to Stansfield Hall where it was in turn promptly accepted. He turned to his levers and pulled off for the main, and by so doing energised an electrical circuit which pulled off to ‘clear’ his distant signal resident on that ‘home’ signal post of Copy, a mile and a half away at the summit. The double green lights thus displayed there gave the driver of the on-coming “fast” the knowledge that the ‘block’ ahead was clear. So now Greenfield had a slow moving train of empties coming down the relief, and a clear road under green lights for the passenger on the main. It was pitch dark on the lines, save for the glimmer of the signal lamps and their dim images reflected on the wet rail. All was quiet, with no sounds except for the drip of the rain on the window-ledge. He wrote up his log, made up his fire, then stepped out onto the staging to re-fill the coal bucket. Then he heard it - the goods was “popping” - short pops of the whistle every few seconds - the signal that engine men used to announce they were running away! Even though it would be moving only very slowly the goods was now out of control - the engine crew could not stop. The drizzle had wetted the rail, the brakes wouldn’t hold, lubricated with water replenished from the rail by the turning wheels. Greenfield peered through the murk up the line - nothing to see, but the view there is obscured by the arches of an overbridge at Mill Dam, a quater mile away. Where was he then? More to the point, where was the passenger train? He strode inside, reached for the phone and pressed the key - “Arthur, where’s the fast?” A pause - then “Just gone by, Ben”. Too late to stop it then, running down the bank at speed, on time and under green signals. It all depends where the goods is - Greenfield went outside again and saw with dismay the lights and bulk of the 8F goods engine emerging from Mill Dam arches - that’s close, very close, but moving at walking pace, the steam hanging about the boiler mixing with the drizzle of rain and still popping its whistle and heading for the buffers. He had about a minute and a half he reckoned, and in imagination saw the big engine sprawling slowly across the roadway, the mangled buffer stops punched clear away, empty featherweight wagons piling up behind and spilling over onto the roadway, onto the running line, and the on-coming passenger train ploughing into the wreckage at fifty miles an hour. He turned to his block instruments - what could he do? He reached for his hand-lamp, but just then the passenger train burst through the middle Mill Dam arch, a line of lighted windows with an energetic tank engine at the head. It was indeed doing fifty miles an hour and covered the quarter-mile in twenty or so of those valuable seconds, sweeping cheerfully by the box and away down the hill and round the curve, red tail-lamp flickering away to nothingness. Strewth! – now he must move quickly - Greenfield threw back the levers - Distant ON, then Home signal ON to release the interlocking, then moving along the frame a step or so hauled over the levers - Relief trap points Opened to Main, Relief exit starter OFF. And a quarter minute later the big dirty steamy engine solemnly squealed out onto the Main, the snake of empties following obediently. Greenfield couldn’t see the crew - too dark, but only they and he would know. The wagons filed slowly past - dum-dum, dum-dum. It was over, the crew had 5 miles now to get control, and if they didn’t manage it in that, they would on the relative flat of Calder Valley. But he mustn’t forget his duties - he now gave “Train Running Away on the Right Line” signal to Stansfield Hall box down in Todmorden, then picked up the phone - Alan Knowles on duty. “He’s just passing here Alan, greasy wet rail probably”. Knowles answered, “Yep! - thanks Ben. Yes, we’ll manage I expect.” Only now did Greenfield’s knees seem suddenly to be made of jelly, and the signal box to seem to tilt slightly to and fro, and why was it so hot and stuffy? He went out onto the staging into the drizzle, holding onto the railing, listened to the silence, breathed deep the moorland air. Then the westbound signal gong sounded, offering yet another coal train up from Tod. He went in - crisis over, and rang back “accepted”, and turned once again to his levers.

Robert Blackburn
May 2007

Great story. I seem to recall that, at the end of steam in 1968, when the North_West railway network seemed like one huge enthusiast's playground, that some enterprising individuals greased the rails at Copy Pit in order to get some impressive smoke effects when the 8Fs slipped.

L&Y Robert

Another one:
When I was a little boy (it was px. 1944 I think) Mother used to take us (self and sister) 'down town on the bus to "Get the rations" (Yes - that's what we used to say, "I'm just going to get the rations" - NOT going shopping"). Anyhow, as I was saying, we went to The Town, which was, and mostly still is, on the sunny side of the arches, where the open market was, and is. But on this occasion there were loose knots of people standing about, gazing up at the railway embankment, pointing, shaking heads. The point of interest was a spot just where the viaduct began. And there, lying on its side, funnel downwards on the steep slope, was a huge engine (8F size), smoke rising gently from the upturned cab roof, steam fluffing from the cylinder cocks. It is a vivid picture, imprinted on a little boy's mind. The engine lay almost overturned on the slope, boiler pointing slightly downward, ready to roll right down into the market place, if it had not fetched up against the exceedingly tall telegraph pole that jumped the telegraphs over to the other end of the viaduct. Well, years later, when I was allowed out on my bike, I spied out this spot from Hallroyd Road bridge, and realised that the engine had run through the trap points and off the end of the goods loop, and presumably demolished the buffer stop on the way, and continued down the embankment. There would have been loaded coal wagons too, but I don't remember them. The goods loop was still there and in use in the 60s, but is no longer, and the scruffy sooty embankment is clothed in greenery (air pollution prevented that sort of thing in those days). The pole survived for years afterwards, even when it was no longer needed. I have seen, not too recently, a photograph of this incident, but I can't recollect where.

Johnuk123

Established Member
That was on 4th Sept.1942 at Todmorden. it was a SPAD and like you say the engine went through the buffers and ended up down the embankment.

It does not seem to have been the subject of a formal accident investigation.
I tried to find a picture but no luck.

L&Y Robert

That was on 4th Sept.1942 at Todmorden. it was a SPAD and like you say the engine went through the buffers and ended up down the embankment.

It does not seem to have been the subject of a formal accident investigation.
I tried to find a picture but no luck.

That's amazing, Johnuk123! I was only five! Forgive me, but how do you know?

Welshman

Established Member
Thank-you, L & Y Robert.
I was born and brought up in Halifax and well remember journeys up the Calder Valley to Hall Royd Junction and over Copy Pit to Burnley.
Your reminiscences brought back memories of happy days in my youth! :)

flymo

Established Member
Just one more from me if I may. It seems like eons ago but it was probably in the early 80's and I was in 1st gen DMU heaven for a day when I managed to bag the front seat for a trip from Newcastle to Carlisle where we arrived on P2. Not only that but my next leg, down the Cumbrian coast to Barrow, was also in the front seat. Actually the same unit if I remember. An outstanding piece of line, especially from the front seat. :D
Took a short break in Barrow before heading out on a train to either Lancaster or Preston (can't remember now) but managed to bag the front seat on that DMU too. Couldn't believe my luck. Here we were hammering down the WCML with the driver giving it the beans. Still remember being passed by an 86 or 87 on the fasts, much more fun in a bouncy DMU though.....
Loved watching the view, and listening to all the bells and whistles going off.

Over the years I didn't do too bad at bagging the front seat on a few journeys, Par to Newton Abbot was another good one.

Sadly no longer possible for the most part. Greatly missed..:(

Status
Not open for further replies.