• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Repainted 91 at Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Wait a minute, just detouring off topic for a moment, I don't spend a great deal of time in third rail land, but since when have DC units carried solebar orange warning stripes? I've never seen such things on Southern or Southeastern units. I would have thought that it would be a bit superfluous, as the orange cantrail stripe on overhead stock warns rail workers not to go above that height due to the chance of arcing from the 25kV system, but on third rail, surely the rail workers are more likely to be at ground level anyway, a safe distance from any live rail, plus the voltages involved are lower? Just curious.

And back on topic, I'm not at all keen on the new East Coast livery, on the mark 4s or the 91. The silver and the purple stripe seem to clash hideously to my eyes, and the stripe just doesn't have enough volume (width, basically). Though at least it is a huge improvement on the decidedly rough state the blue liveried sets are getting into!

sprinterguy

Established Member
It would still kill you quite happily enough even its no where near the 25kV of the overhead line.
Don't worry, I've gathered that much ;) I was just thinking the chances of it arcing to a human being would be lower, as the voltages involved are lower (though of course the actual level of current has a lot to do with it) and it's already at ground level.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
They don't. That's just a feature of the SWT livery. Doesn't extend to the ends of the units (at least, not on the "Blue" or "Red" liveries. Features on the similar EMT livery.

sprinterguy

Established Member
They don't. That's just a feature of the SWT livery. Doesn't extend to the ends of the units (at least, not on the "Blue" or "Red" liveries. Features on the similar EMT livery.
That's what I thought, just a feature of Stagecoach liveries.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That's what I thought, just a feature of Stagecoach liveries.

Indeed. Noticable by it not being part of Southern, Southeastern, FCC, FGW* or Merseyrail liveries.

*Have diesel services running into 3rd rail land. Come to think of it, don't Northern as well?

Just observed the repainted set through hornsey, traction consisting of 91107 in silver livery and full branding
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just observed the repainted set through hornsey, traction consisting of 91107 in silver livery and full branding

96tommy

4946142778_f54e71c5af.jpg

I saw 91107 last night at Colton Junction

Established Member
Still prefer the GNER livery, even the NXEC one looked a bit better. Looks like a packet of fags.

Status
Not open for further replies.