• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Replica French/German/Swiss/British (delete as appropriate) locomotive produced and destroyed for new Mission Impossible film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireftrm

I'm sure I saw somewhere that the water feature at the bottom of the quarry was built for the film, and doesn't look that deep in the construction photos.

As for the future of the remains of the loco, I can see it being scrapped in an environmentally friendly way, but part of me does wonder, if there might be anything left to put in a museum somewhere. The whole project does seem to have generated a significant amount of interest.
Someone may have bought it….

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gag Halfrunt

Looking at the debris I'm sure the 'loco' has replica inside motion, which I can't possibly see the need of in filming unless they're trying to show how difficult it was to oil?!

It makes sense if the wrecked locomotive will be seen in the film.

JKF

As for the future of the remains of the loco, I can see it being scrapped in an environmentally friendly way, but part of me does wonder, if there might be anything left to put in a museum somewhere. The whole project does seem to have generated a significant amount of interest.
Thinking about it, the interest generated will be very valuable from a marketing perspective, lots of coverage in the press. That will be worth something which CGI would never have given them. Quite clever really.

Ploughman

Established Member
It did carry the name "The General"
I believe this was a link back to the Burt Lancaster film of the Train.
I think this was because the number was of an engine allocated to the same depot as this supposed loco.

This is all unconfirmed though.

John Luxton

Established Member
It did carry the name "The General"
I believe this was a link back to the Burt Lancaster film of the Train.
I think this was because the number was of an engine allocated to the same depot as this supposed loco.

This is all unconfirmed though.
The General?

Are you sure it wasn't paying homage to the Buster Keaton railroad movie of 1926 which I think involved a bridge collapse?

The General (1926 film) - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.