• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reports of the death of Third Rail appear greatly exaggerated

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The next big challenge for the railways will I think be the collapse of office working as home working methods mature.

They've been saying that for over 30 years.
What about people who work in hospitals, schools, shops, manufacturing, warehousing, distribution, the armed forces, sport, then there's leisure related travel of all sorts...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
I still get the feeling that if office working were ever going to go, it would already have happened. Maybe I'm wrong.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I still get the feeling that if office working were ever going to go, it would already have happened. Maybe I'm wrong.

I suspect it will die a very slow death. Home working is increasing as internet speeds finally are starting to get up to a level where serious work can be done., but many companies will need people based in the office for a very long time.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I suspect it will die a very slow death. Home working is increasing as internet speeds finally are starting to get up to a level where serious work can be done., but many companies will need people based in the office for a very long time.
Also many need to get 'out and about'. I was taking careful note of my SIL (a fiscal adviser) on a recent visit. He is never far from work but clearly needs to work with others, so has time at home, time in the city, and time abroad with clients. Alright, back office staff are not needing that pattern, although people do work in teams, nevertheless. Synergy appears to need physical proximity and I don't see that changing; indeed there seems to be more need for successful firms, whether it's engineering, financial, or any other discipline. I cannot envisage artistic and design teams working apart. It's similar with client contact of course (perhaps most important of all).

Status
Not open for further replies.