• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Resolved] When to use an off-day return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstowJ

I apologise that this is probably a very dim question

I recently bought an off-peak day return ticket via trainline, and have set times and trains that I specified.

I want to travel earlier now to see a friend: can I still use these tickets? When does on-peak become off-peak?

I wanted to travel at 6pm and now want to travel at 5pm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashkeba

Established Member
Look at the restriction code printed on the ticket. Should be nre.co.uk/ and two letters or numbers. Put that into a web browser.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I apologise that this is probably a very dim question

I recently bought an off-peak day return ticket via trainline, and have set times and trains that I specified.

I want to travel earlier now to see a friend: can I still use these tickets? When does on-peak become off-peak?

I wanted to travel at 6pm and now want to travel at 5pm
Peak and Off-Peak is determined by the ticket not by the train. There is no blanket peak/off-peak distinction (as much as some TOCs like to pretend there might be).

If you could tell us the journey being made, the ticket held and whether you are on the outward or return portion we should be able to advise.

AstowJ

Peak and Off-Peak is determined by the ticket not by the train. There is no blanket peak/off-peak distinction (as much as some TOCs like to pretend there might be).

If you could tell us the journey being made, the ticket held and whether you are on the outward or return portion we should be able to advise.

Filton Abbeywood to Cardiff Central:
I originally wanted to get on 1806 and booked this, and plans changed and I may get the 1707 or 32

I always assumed off peak day return was just for the return journey and the outward was set in stone, and only now am I questioning it.

Sorry,

The ticket held is an Off Peak Day Return via Newport

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Filton Abbeywood to Cardiff Central:
I originally wanted to get on 1806 and booked this, and plans changed and I may get the 1707 or 32

I always assumed off peak day return was just for the return journey and the outward was set in stone, and only now am I questioning it.

Sorry,

The ticket held is an Off Peak Day Return via Newport
Aha, that has restriction code W1 which reads "Not valid on trains timed to depart after 04:29 and before 09:30" so as long as you're travelling after 09:30 it's valid on any train outward or return. Therefore you'd be fine using the 1707 or 1732 :)

You can find the restriction code text here.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Looks like you have restriction code W1, where peak is 0430-0930 in either direction.
So it doesn't matter which train you get after 0930.

Incidentally, I first looked up Abbey Wood to Cardiff, a totally different journey (with no off-peak day return!).
Plenty of scope for confusion there!

AstowJ

Looks like you have restriction code W1, where peak is 0430-0930 in either direction.
So it doesn't matter which train you get after 0930.

Incidentally, I first looked up Abbey Wood to Cardiff, a totally different journey (with no off-peak day return!).
Plenty of scope for confusion there!
Oh brilliant! So off peak day return can mean the outbound and return can be used flexibly?

How wonderful! Thanks for your help

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh brilliant! So off peak day return can mean the outbound and return can be used flexibly?

How wonderful! Thanks for your help
Yes it's a flexible ticket. It will be sold against an itinerary but that's a suggestion. As long as you comply with the time restrictions on this ticket you can use any train.

Status
Not open for further replies.