• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction code W4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

Restriction code W4 is as follows:

"Not valid on trains timed to depart after 04:29 and before 08:44."

However, it says that there's an easement from Swindon which allows travel from 08:20, which is as follows
"EXCEPT 0820 FROM SWI, SJP TO EXD"

So does this mean that I can travel on the 08:41 GWR service from Swindon to Swansea using an Off Peak Day Return?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPI

Established Member

Restriction code W4 is as follows:

"Not valid on trains timed to depart after 04:29 and before 08:44."

However, it says that there's an easement from Swindon which allows travel from 08:20, which is as follows

So does this mean that I can travel on the 08:41 GWR service from Swindon to Swansea using an Off Peak Day Return?
Yes, that ticket has a W4 restriction so is valid after 08:20 from Swindon

sonic2009

Established Member
GWR and Trainsplit don't offer the 0841 for the CDR between Swindon and Swansea so i suspect the easement text is an error?

As : National Rail & Transplit show after 0844/0845 with National Rail showing the following :
Additionally valid on the 08:41 departure from Swindon to Cheltenham Spa - as to which I can't find a service at 0841.

Benjwri

Established Member
This quoted section is from the hidden fare data, it’s just a descriptor to help assigning them. It’s in no way binding. The binding section is the actual public restriction text, at the top on BRFares, and as shown on NRE:
Not valid on trains timed to depart after 04:29 and before 08:44.

There are no easements at the moment.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
The way I read that is that it is a specific easement for a train timed at 0820 from SWI or SJP to EXD, not a general 'from 0820' easement? Whether that/those trains still exist I don't know. I might be wrong!

There are no direct trains from Swindon to Exeter St Davids. The way I interpreted it was that this particular easement allows travel from 08:20 onwards from Swindon (to any destination), or from St James Park (to Exeter St Davids).

P.S. For those of you who aren't aware:

SWI = Swindon
SJP = St James Park (Exeter)

EXD = Exeter St Davids

This quoted section is from the hidden fare data, it’s just a descriptor to help assigning them. It’s in no way binding. The binding section is the actual public restriction text, at the top on BRFares, and as shown on NRE:

There are no easements at the moment.

So does this mean that if I were to get the 08:41 during the week, I would have to pay for the anytime ripoff of £40?

mangyiscute

Established Member
Just be happy you aren't going from Didcot, where the anytime fare to swansea return (with a railcard) is £183!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Yes, there are unfortunately always edge cases.
As an aside, given the service between Swindon and Swansea is hourly I'm surprised there isn't an easement in place for this. It may be worth the OP's while to contact GWR's Customer Service team and flag it up with them so they can make enquiries internally. The worst that can happen is their Pricing Team says no.

Status
Not open for further replies.