• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Resumption of hourly Cardiff to Paddington services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asif

Noticed that there are ‘unscheduled’ hourly directs loaded into RTT from late September 2021.

Does this suggest that GWR intend to reinstate these services culminating in the return of half hourly Cardiff to Paddington services?

These don’t appear to be reflected in GWRs own online journey planners - yet.

Any insight much appreciated.

Attachments

• 54E80833-B75C-4B32-A308-316462C822EF.jpeg
    54E80833-B75C-4B32-A308-316462C822EF.jpeg
    651.3 KB · Views: 80
  • D8FAE599-7C34-44CC-A872-46EEEDE9C2F9.jpeg
    D8FAE599-7C34-44CC-A872-46EEEDE9C2F9.jpeg
    972.2 KB · Views: 81
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Was suggested gwr were going to get the 397s cleared to Cardiff Central and train staff so these workings could be done by them while the Hitachi units are away on repairs

Dai Corner

Established Member
Note that they are (were) scheduled for the whole timetable period 17/5/21 - 10/12/21 and timed for Cl800 on electric, changing to diesel en route.

I wonder if it's just they haven't been removed from the data or hidden from public view?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
They'll return long term, and their associated diagrams and paths exist in the LTP and are then removed in the STP. So the paths still exist, looks like they've just appeared in RTT for some reason but aren't public trains.

I have seen the odd one or two appear on screens and then show as cancelled of late, despite the fact they were never planned to run under the covid timetable

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Noticed that there are ‘unscheduled’ hourly directs loaded into RTT from late September 2021.

Does this suggest that GWR intend to reinstate these services culminating in the return of half hourly Cardiff to Paddington services?

These don’t appear to be reflected in GWRs own online journey planners - yet.

Any insight much appreciated.

The intention is there, its whether there is enough IET 80x stock available considering the ongoing cracks saga.

berneyarms

Established Member
The paths are in the working timetable lest GWT do become capable of operating them.

They’re in RTT as unadvertised expresses which shows the path rather than trains that will actually run.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
They're definitely going to be reinstated come December '21, but whether they happen before that is likely dependent on S. Wales loadings and whether the Swansea sets can take the strain - and 80x availability - and so far its just about manageable.

Dai Corner

Established Member
A Cl 387 reached Cardiff for the first time recently. If the Cl 800 shortage continues, as seems likely, and traincrew are trained up 387s could cover the Paddington-Cardiff's.

Asif

They're definitely going to be reinstated come December '21, but whether they happen before that is likely dependent on S. Wales loadings and whether the Swansea sets can take the strain - and 80x availability - and so far its just about manageable.
Thanks for the insight there. Is that to say that the extra Class 800 sets going to be provided by Swansea Maliphant and not from Stoke Gifford? Or from a combination of sets from both depots?

As Dai suggests if they are covered by 387s as a stop gap, would these be sourced from sets kept at Swindon Cocklebury or from Reading? Does GWR even have enough spare Class 387s to cover these diagrams?

class ep-09

Thanks for the insight there. Is that to say that the extra Class 800 sets going to be provided by Swansea Maliphant and not from Stoke Gifford? Or from a combination of sets from both depots?

As Dai suggests if they are covered by 387s as a stop gap, would these be sourced from sets kept at Swindon Cocklebury or from Reading? Does GWR even have enough spare Class 387s to cover these diagrams?
There is quite few GTR 387’s at West Ealing Sidings and I think I saw them at Reading TCD also ( not 100% sure about Reading ) .

I suppose they may be used as extra stock to compensate for “missing” 800’s

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

There's 9 extra 387s (6 GatEx and 3 c2c sets) and even without those, there is currently one diagram doing a couple of Bristol Parkway trips. However they (c2cs) are covering Newbury diagrams (that would be Bedwyn 80x until they were temporarily removed). That being said, it would be pretty much impossible to bring back an hourly Cardiff service without some 80xs back in service.

Alex27

There is quite few GTR 387’s at West Ealing Sidings and I think I saw them at Reading TCD also ( not 100% sure about Reading ) .

I suppose they may be used as extra stock to compensate for “missing” 800’s
There's definitely at least one GTR 387 at Reading TCD (just seen it from my train, certainly adds a splash of colour to the depot!)

56xx

A path for 387 training to Cardiff shows on RTT 1517 Arrive and 1554 Depart.

Only ran yesterday as far back as I can see.

Caught the tail end from the 1556 to Merthyr Tydfil and it was at least 2 units.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
A path for 387 training to Cardiff shows on RTT 1517 Arrive and 1554 Depart.

Only ran yesterday as far back as I can see.

Caught the tail end from the 1556 to Merthyr Tydfil and it was at least 2 units.

This was the service. Formed of 387170+387143.

JN114

Established Member
Yeah there’s 4 paths (3Z30-33) an afternoon for driver training, which commenced in ernest Monday.

Didn’t run Tuesday or Wednesday this week, hopefully back tomorrow; but we shall see. Should run every weekday up until Christmas.

8 car 387, one of which should be from the pool 387142-145 for the time being.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Yeah there’s 4 paths (3Z30-33) an afternoon for driver training, which commenced in ernest Monday.

Didn’t run Tuesday or Wednesday this week, hopefully back tomorrow; but we shall see. Should run every weekday up until Christmas.

8 car 387, one of which should be from the pool 387142-145 for the time being.
Do we know whether this is with a view to regular passenger service to Cardiff in lieu of 80x or just crowdbusters for special events?

JN114

Established Member
Do we know whether this is with a view to regular passenger service to Cardiff in lieu of 80x or just crowdbusters for special events?

They will end up in regular service to Cardiff; IET situation or not for traincrew knowledge retention. The earlier aspiration was for one weekday evening trip from Paddington to Cardiff, returning to Swindon; and a smattering of workings on weekends. The weekday working was to be an additional path to enable the acceleration of one of the existing Swansea services.

Depending on how well crew training and other approvals can be sorted, (and they were sorted very quickly for Swindon and then Bristol Parkway) - it isn’t beyond the realms of possibility that they end up deputising for IETs in the short to medium term. But there are no firm plans for that at this stage.

Mintona

Established Member
These services ought to be IETs really. 387s all well and good for special occasions but the lack of catering or first class isn’t ideal.

JN114

Established Member
These services ought to be IETs really. 387s all well and good for special occasions but the lack of catering or first class isn’t ideal.

Don’t disagree, as much as I have a vested interest in the Thames Valley fleet further spreading its wings…

But while there’s a rolling 20-30 IETs out of comission, and no long term fix on the horizon yet (just stringent and very frequent checks); 387s may be the only quick and easy way back to their reinstatement in the short term; and with commuting down, the Thames Valley fleet isn’t exactly stretched.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
To be honest, I wouldn’t object to a 387 for the sort of journey lengths seen on Paddington to Cardiff. 2 hours is comparable to some journeys between London and south coast destinations and the train itself is reasonably comfortable and not that far short of an IET.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
To be honest, I wouldn’t object to a 387 for the sort of journey lengths seen on Paddington to Cardiff. 2 hours is comparable to some journeys between London and south coast destinations and the train itself is reasonably comfortable and not that far short of an IET.

It's an interesting argument - some would argue that a 387 is better comfort than an IET or even a Turbo which does similar distance / time, yet the former is generally limited to commuter, SE & London routes. The lack of 1st class is a bit of an issue, and the lack of any form of catering (which an IET would have). But it depends if those are superficial issues to the majority of passengers, or they'd rather wait for a Swansea train.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
It's an interesting argument - some would argue that a 387 is better comfort than an IET or even a Turbo which does similar distance / time, yet the former is generally limited to commuter, SE & London routes. The lack of 1st class is a bit of an issue, and the lack of any form of catering (which an IET would have). But it depends if those are superficial issues to the majority of passengers, or they'd rather wait for a Swansea train.

Given the IET shortage and generally lower-priority of any Cardiff trains that were reinstated, an 8 or 12 car 387 also wins hands-down on the seating capacity as well, if the alternative is an 800/5.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Given the IET shortage and generally lower-priority of any Cardiff trains that were reinstated, an 8 or 12 car 387 also wins hands-down on the seating capacity as well, if the alternative is an 800/5.

True. And there's no long-term fix in place other than the rolling welding repairs. And actually, I'm not sure all the passengers are ultimately too fussed about what "type of train" they are on.

Mintona

Established Member
True. And there's no long-term fix in place other than the rolling welding repairs. And actually, I'm not sure all the passengers are ultimately too fussed about what "type of train" they are on.

That depends on if they’ve just forked out for a first class ticket only to find the train they are boarding has no first class.

Wychwood93

Whilst the ride quality of the 800/802s is not exactly wonderful, the 387s are more than a little rough, in my opinion. I have timed a couple of Bristol Parkway to Paddington runs and would liken them at 110 (113 max) to a 4-VEP at 100 - the latter a one-off experience some years ago. Certainly shaken and not stirred! On the other hand, plenty of room in the current climate, good GPS signal.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That depends on if they’ve just forked out for a first class ticket only to find the train they are boarding has no first class.

Yes its an issue. As is the max speed versus 125.

cle

Established Member
Especially if this service is really being dangled for London > Reading/Didcot/Swindon people - and intermediate journeys from those places on to Cardiff. Seat churn/resell potential, and shorter journeys so 1st class less important.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

If it is planned services then no first class tickets will be sold. GWR aren’t in the habit of deliberately ripping customers off…

Status
Not open for further replies.