• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

retasking "idle" stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJL

With all CHX -> Hastings trains being cancelled today due to the land slip (at Wadhurst I think?)
That presumably means that some or all of the stock that would normally run that service is currently not required?

I assume the line will stay shut for some time until repairs are carried out.

Now additional to the above we have a blanket speed restriction expected later today resulting in extended running times which in turn results in reduced frequency which ultimately means some services will be cancelled.

Would it be possible to retask those "idle" trains to fill in the gaps as it were and hold the original frequency on other lines (or at least contribute towards doing that).

Obviously I am assuming that the stock can find another way around the closed track.

Or does the TOC take the opportunity to put the "idle" stock in early for routine maintenance while a window exists for free thus saving downtime on a later occasion?

Just a random thought I had

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
So you intend to send these trains out on their own do you?

Who is going to drive them?
Do the 'spare' drivers sign the routes you intend to use the 'spare' stock on?
Is the stock in the right place to be able to fill in?
etc.

DJL

So you intend to send these trains out on their own do you?

Who is going to drive them?
Do the 'spare' drivers sign the routes you intend to use the 'spare' stock on?
Is the stock in the right place to be able to fill in?
etc.

Well since the trains would presumably have had drivers for the originally tasked jobs then these drivers too must be idle?

My understanding was that drivers generally signed a number of different routes.
Also I believe that a lot of these services actually run on loops, even if they are not advertised as such. This being the case would of course mean that an alternative route is already available for both train and driver.
I confess this has always been an assumption on my part with no evidence. To me it makes sense, but if this is not the case I am quite sure there are good reasons why not!

As stated in my post I fully expect that the units would have to be moved, possibly during quiet periods late at night or early morning. Hence this idea would only make sense for a longish term problem.

Now obviously something such as a land slide is unexpected and I'm not sure when the landslide in question took place.
Tonight & tomorrows disruption has been expected for a day or so which provides a limited amount of time to plan contingencies.

My question really was not whether they should have done this in this specific instance, more a general question about whether this could be done in a similar situation i.e. a mid-long term suspension of service in one area matched with an expected reduced frequency in another.

I know* about clearances etc. - in my specific example the 375s which would be "idle" are, I believe, cleared for many of the SE routes. Actually now that I think about it some more I've only ever seen them on the SEML, CML and Catford Loop - maybe they're not cleared on the Dartford & Hayes lines? Almost certainly not cleared on HS1 - I don't think it even has a 3rd rail?

* know is the wrong word - I've learnt a little about it on here recently. Suffice to say that I am aware of it and not much more.

455driver

Veteran Member
If the company has got enoug notice then they will move stock to strengthen other services where possible but only when they consider it necessary/cost effective.

The Railways are run for profit now and incurring the costs of running extra units (whether extra trains or strengthening existing ones) must get past the bean counters before the idea can be implemented.

DJL

I would imagine that given the correct circumstances it would actually be profitable to do this in order to avoid fines that may be incurred otherwise!

Obviously that won't always be the case though

Status
Not open for further replies.