• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retired staff travel card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbrel

hi,
very interesting views, and I agree with some, but logicaly a,what is the delay-repay given for- a passenger or his ticket for a journey delayed or cancelled. b, if two people sit by each other on a train ones using a free pass the other has paid a full standard ticket if their train is delayed what effect has that had on them?
So a, its the passenger not the ticket. b, both passengers are delayed.
In a ideal world, then compensation could be given on the price of a single standard fare...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
(a) based on the price of the ticket;
(b) hence both passengers got the same proportion of their respective fares back;

Whether it should be based on the price of the ticket can be up for discussion, but that is how things work in the current Delay Repay regime. The price of the pass being zero means the entitlement to compensation is various proportions of zero, under the current scheme. Companies may elect to offer more, on a case-by-case basis, of course.

Whether the passholder paid tax on it or had it effectively as a trade-off for a pay rise is neither here nor there. The price of the pass is zero.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In a ideal world, then compensation could be given on the price of a single standard fare...

So someone with a dirt cheap Advance or Super Off Peak ticket gets compensated at the Anytime Single price?

Okaaaay. Where’s the money coming from to pay for it?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
So someone with a dirt cheap Advance or Super Off Peak ticket gets compensated at the Anytime Single price?

Okaaaay. Where’s the money coming from to pay for it?

I don't think he meant everyone, just him with his free travel

LAX54

Established Member
Up to the 1990's wages were low, and BR and RT for a very short time said that you should not forget that your 'priv and free' travel are part of your wages, and this needs to be taken into account with wage rises, after privatisation when Net Rail staff were not entitled to any form of travel facilities, the Unions asked for higher increases.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Up to the 1990's wages were low, and BR and RT for a very short time said that you should not forget that your 'priv and free' travel are part of your wages, and this needs to be taken into account with wage rises, after privatisation when Net Rail staff were not entitled to any form of travel facilities, the Unions asked for higher increases.

This is still partly true, in the sense that there is little parity between NR and TOC staff for virtually identical roles, with the former generally paid more, and travel benefits and pension arrangements being regularly cited as reasons for the discrepancy.

Haywain

Veteran Member
All the talk about wages doesn't alter the fact that the fare paid with a free pass (there's a clue in the name) is zero, and delay repay compensation is paid on a pro rata basis.

AndrewE

Established Member
All the talk about wages doesn't alter the fact that the fare paid with a free pass (there's a clue in the name) is zero, and delay repay compensation is paid on a pro rata basis.
On the other hand, you could say that the compensation should be a proportion of the salary you went without all your working life...
As I said before, the civil service had the same wage but a non-contributory pension, but for a long time the BR superannuation fund took 15% of your salary. Add that up over 40 years!

Haywain

Veteran Member
On the other hand, you could say that the compensation should be a proportion of the salary you went without all your working life...
As I said before, the civil service had the same wage but a non-contributory pension, but for a long time the BR superannuation fund took 15% of your salary. Add that up over 40 years!
I've worked in a number of different industries over the years, and the salaries and benefits vary. They continue to vary when it comes to taking the resulting pensions. Ultimately if you don't like the benefits of one job it's probably best to move to another rather than just moan about things that won't change.

greyman42

Established Member
As I pointed out in #46, I pay £485 per annum for mine, so they are not free.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As I pointed out in #46, I pay £485 per annum for mine, so they are not free.
You pay it to the tax office, so as far as Delay Repay is concerned, your pass itself is free. While I said it upthread in jest in respect of claiming it from the tax office, this is quite a clear matter as far as Delay Repay is concerned. Tax money has nothing to do with ticket prices, otherwise you would end up with a ridiculous situation with differing arrangements depending on people's income tax brackets, amongst others.

This is going around in circles so I am going to close this thread.

That is my professional ruling on this issue, in line with common practice at I believe all TOCs.

If you are not happy with the current arrangement, it is for you to take the issue up with RST, or through a court of law to overrule the current industry practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.