• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Return leg - start 'short' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HantsExile

Later this month I am taking a day trip from Winchester (WIN) to Chichester (CCH) to meet up with friends.

I am definitely travelling WIN - CCH by train.
But I may get a lift back at least part of the way from Chichester from one of my friends. They would drop me off at Eastleigh (ESL) or Southampton Airport Parkway (SOA).

I think this is known as 'starting short' but apologies if I have used the wrong term.

An offpeak single WIN-CCH is £13.10 (with railcard).
An offpeak return WIN-CCH is £13.95.
An offpeak single ESL / SOA - WIN is around £4.

My question is:
If I buy a return ticket, can I use it for the full extent of its validity on the outward journey (WIN-CCH) and for the short section of the return journey that I may do by train?
Or do I have to buy a single WIN-CCH and a single ESL / SOA - WIN - which will cost me more?

Advice welcome - I don't want to spend money unnecessarily but I don't want to get into bother!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As with most walk-up tickets, an Off-Peak Day Return WIN-CCH permits break of journey. Therefore there is no problem with 'starting late' (that's the phrase I use - others call it 'starting short'). However, bear in mind that a WIN-CCH ticket isn't valid via SOA, so you couldn't start using the return portion at SOA.

HantsExile

However, bear in mind that a WIN-CCH ticket isn't valid via SOA, so you couldn't start using the return portion at SOA.
Oh that's interesting! I do this trip a lot, and some return journeys involve a change at Southampton Central, with a choice of onward travel including via SOA - and I've never had a problem.

But thanks for the guidance re "starting late / short" - for some reason, break of journey issues always feel stressful!

jfollows

Established Member
As with most walk-up tickets, an Off-Peak Day Return WIN-CCH permits break of journey. Therefore there is no problem with 'starting late' (that's the phrase I use - others call it 'starting short'). However, bear in mind that a WIN-CCH ticket isn't valid via SOA, so you couldn't start using the return portion at SOA.
Are you sure - map CW is defined for Eastleigh-Havant which are the routeing points for Winchester-Chichester and includes Southampton as well as Southampton Airport? Or have I missed something?
(Map BB also defined which omits Southampton etc.)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are you sure - map CW is defined for Eastleigh-Havant which are the routeing points for Winchester-Chichester and includes Southampton as well as Southampton Airport? Or have I missed something?
(Map BB also defined which omits Southampton etc.)
Sorry; my mistake. I blame a lack of sleep! I did think it seemed a bit odd for it not to be valid via Southampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.