• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Return within a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

district

I have a LUL issued Farrington - Ashford International CSN Return route plus High Speed (£22.00). I asked specifically for return within a month (and the TVMs showed Return within a month available).

The ticket type on the ticket says CSN (concession) return, but worryingly it does not have an expiry date, only the date of issue. The fare is correct as well (except for what I think is a rounding mistake).

Is it a return within a month, like I asked for or have I been mis-sold the ticket? The clerk confirmed it was a month return, but am I likely to run into problems as there is no expiry date?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

district

That's it!

It was accepted without question at St. Pancras (although it didn't work the barriers - what a surprise) and the OBM (there was two of them for the 6 coach train) took a couple of seconds to realise what it was, before accepting it without question.

Surprisingly, it worked the barriers at Ashford International.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
BR fares says the full fare is £33.40 - a crude 34% discount is £22.044, so perhaps the price difference is a mere discrepancy between how LU calculates Railcard discounts - rounding down rather than up to £22.05 (the Railcard fare shown on the Trainline and BR Fares).

Another thread here from the other month said they were issued with a 'CSN Day Single' and I've seen a photo of a 'Day Return' (no discount) so I'd guess that this is a period return as there is no word 'Day.'

Also don't forget that it is only with the introduction of newer TISs that the expiry date is printed on the ticket - in the days of Aptis, the orange stock just used to have one 'Date' field with the staff having to work our validity themselves dependent on the ticket type and what appears in the 'Valid' field. So NR staff who have worked for more than a few years shouldn't be too unfamiliar with there only being one date.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Another thread here from the other month said they were issued with a 'CSN Day Single' and I've seen a photo of a 'Day Return' (no discount) so I'd guess that this is a period return as there is no word 'Day.'

They are issued as "CSN Day Return" as appropriate iirc. I will upload an image when I get home.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As promised.

Attachments

• img740.jpg
    img740.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 53

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
BR fares says the full fare is £33.40 - a crude 34% discount is £22.044, so perhaps the price difference is a mere discrepancy between how LU calculates Railcard discounts - rounding down rather than up to £22.05 (the Railcard fare shown on the Trainline and BR Fares).

As far as I know the official British Rail way was/is to round up to the next 1p, then round to the nearest 5p. I think I read this in an old fares manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.