• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Returning to the hobbie can you help

Status
Not open for further replies.

collysbubble

hi folks i'm colly i'm new to this forum i used to be a train enthusiast/spotter what ever you wisdh to call it since i was a kid i have been out of the hobbie for many years due to work and disability issues. i have recently started showing an intrest again after reading a copy of rail at my local doctors surgery.

i have just ordered the spotting handbooks and have just got a new camera and wish to get active in the hobbie again i have been looking for any guidelines/rules for enthusiasts on stations mostly Preston,Manchester,Crewe,York i know some train stations can get a bit funny its been a long time since i have spent much time on any station tbh but thinking of getting a 7 day Northwest rail rover in a few weeks any help would be great as i said i'm new to the fourm and i hope to become a active member on here more so when i start getting oput and about a bit more.

thanks for reading colly

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Murph

Welcome! :)

You should be fine on Network Rail stations. Just go along with a friendly attitude and show common sense. They have a published policy about / guidelines for railway enthusiasts:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/777.aspx

"We welcome rail enthusiasts to our stations"

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Welcome to the forums!

This page from Network Rail's website gives you a fair idea of the rules in their stations. Other stations managed by TOCs have similar advice. I find it helpful to carry a printed copy of these with me in unfamiliar stations (and also the Railway Byelaws if you are really keen to impress :D). Some versions have a bit to sign that you have read and agree to abide by them on the back page.

EDIT: Sorry that's a duplication but the site seemed to freeze for me as I tried to post this.

Last edited:

collysbubble

thanks everyone for your responce took me a while to fine my post as been a newbie i posted it in the wrong section lol please forgive me i'm not used to forums i will indeed print off the info you have kindly given me

455driver

Veteran Member
Welcome mate. Most of us on here don't bite ;)

Speak for yourself! <D

seriously though, welcome back to the fold, I dont know how long ago you were last out and about but there have been huge changes in the last few years in the traction department (mostly for the worst from an enthusiast point of view) but there is still plenty to see and photograph if you put a bit of thought in.

I suppose you could look at photos on Flickr, Smugmug etc to get an idea of which locations are available near you whether at a station or not.

Johnny_w

Hi mate. Nothing new too add, as like you I had about a 20 year break too bring my kids up and get a career and all that.

I find the hobby as engaging and fun as I did when I was a kid.

Enjoy.

JW

collysbubble

where can you find out what the mileage is between stations like if i wanted to travel from blackburn to manchester vic is there any sites i can get the info from i would like to keep a list of all my mileage on my travels

Class 92

Welcome! :)

You should be fine on Network Rail stations. Just go along with a friendly attitude and show common sense. They have a published policy about / guidelines for railway enthusiasts:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/777.aspx

"We welcome rail enthusiasts to our stations"

I got told off for filming at Birmingham New Street! That sorta p***ed me off because I wasn't in anyone's way or anything like that although I guess you can get some funny members of staff! <(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome back to the scene :)

Places like Preston and Crewe, you'll not normally bump into any hassle. I'm sure most of us can list places we've had problems at, but the majority of places and staff are fine so long as you're sensible.

Are you starting off number crunching, photography, traction bashing or any combination of the three?

collysbubble

numbers and photography really mostly the latter untill i find my feet again there been so many changes to the hobbie its untrue just subscribed to rail magazine again that will help. not really picking the right time of year to be hanging around stations to be honest but i have many plans for the new year.

Condor7

numbers and photography really mostly the latter untill i find my feet again there been so many changes to the hobbie its untrue just subscribed to rail magazine again that will help. not really picking the right time of year to be hanging around stations to be honest but i have many plans for the new year.

Welcome back.
I returned to the hobby a couple of years ago, and am so glad I did, I am having a great time.

I started off with numbers, (both freight and passenger) and then bought a camera.

If you see the 'Red Pen' topic on this forum you will see many who just need a small amount of numbers but for me I was starting again so everything I saw went into my book.

At my regular haunts things have settled down a bit now as the same regular locos or units are used, but new locations help fill my book up more quickly.

I have also found a couple of places where in bad weather I can park up and watch from the comfort of my car, but they are not easy to find.
There is a site called 'Trainspot' http://www.trainspots.co.uk/ which lists good locations but not just for watching in a car.

I would also recommend Freightmaster http://freightmaster.net/

Anyway I wish you many happy hours in the hobby.:D

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Sorry for the delayed reply, I missed your post when I read the forum on my phone, twice! I started for the first time in autumn 2003 with photography, found some of them recently and the difference in quality to my recent-ish lot is most significant! A few months later I succumbed to needing a notebook and pen and the desire to get the numbers books and head out of Swansea to Cardiff. A little over 10 years now and I'm still doing it, I just love my hobby so much, the one joy in life I have and I could never ever give it up. Tried 7 times for various reasons (but the primary one being the same, women), but I find it so addictive! :D

I can only imagine the changes you'll have seen since your return to the scene, I've seen quite a few since I started myself. Hopefully you'll enjoy RAIL, personally I normally read The Railway Magazine these days as I can get it at work with 10% off :lol:

Not the best time of year to be a platform ender, agreed, but it's also a fantastic time of year to do some bashing. Get in the warm that way and you can see if underlining DMUs, EMUs or the odd loco-hauled working (apart from the ECML and GEML of course, plenty there still) does owt for you. I would never have thought flying from my area of the country to Scotland just to go and hunt down trains I still need to see and travel on would be so addictive when I first tried it, but I love it when you clear a class. Especially if it's not a local class or one that's truely spread across most of the country, like the Voyagers. Completing classes like that are even more satisfying for me, I daresay someone will agree with me there. Track bashing is also strangely satisfying and a good thing to be doing that at this time of year, since again it's something you can do and keep out of the wet and cold. It's also one of the few hobbies that give you a reason to go all the way to Thurso on the train, I'd have never gone otherwise!

Condor7

Sorry for the delayed reply, I missed your post when I read the forum on my phone, twice! I started for the first time in autumn 2003 with photography, found some of them recently and the difference in quality to my recent-ish lot is most significant! A few months later I succumbed to needing a notebook and pen and the desire to get the numbers books and head out of Swansea to Cardiff. A little over 10 years now and I'm still doing it, I just love my hobby so much, the one joy in life I have and I could never ever give it up. Tried 7 times for various reasons (but the primary one being the same, women), but I find it so addictive! :D

I can only imagine the changes you'll have seen since your return to the scene, I've seen quite a few since I started myself. Hopefully you'll enjoy RAIL, personally I normally read The Railway Magazine these days as I can get it at work with 10% off :lol:

Not the best time of year to be a platform ender, agreed, but it's also a fantastic time of year to do some bashing. Get in the warm that way and you can see if underlining DMUs, EMUs or the odd loco-hauled working (apart from the ECML and GEML of course, plenty there still) does owt for you. I would never have thought flying from my area of the country to Scotland just to go and hunt down trains I still need to see and travel on would be so addictive when I first tried it, but I love it when you clear a class. Especially if it's not a local class or one that's truely spread across most of the country, like the Voyagers. Completing classes like that are even more satisfying for me, I daresay someone will agree with me there. Track bashing is also strangely satisfying and a good thing to be doing that at this time of year, since again it's something you can do and keep out of the wet and cold. It's also one of the few hobbies that give you a reason to go all the way to Thurso on the train, I'd have never gone otherwise!

I think you nicely sum up the joy or railway enthusiasm whatever way we decide to embrace it. :)

collysbubble

another silly question i have been useing real time trians which is a great site its about train headcodes its going on 15 years since i was last active in the hobbie

i know that some headcodes exhample 1M44 is an express and 2M44 is a local stopper but what are the other codes releated it like 0,5,6, headcodes i cant find any reference on this fourm unless im looknig in the wrong places thanks again colly

Established Member
another silly question i have been useing real time trians which is a great site its about train headcodes its going on 15 years since i was last active in the hobbie

i know that some headcodes exhample 1M44 is an express and 2M44 is a local stopper but what are the other codes releated it like 0,5,6, headcodes i cant find any reference on this fourm unless im looknig in the wrong places thanks again colly

0 is generally light engine, although 1Z99 is often used for light engines on ''rescue'' duties.
3 is 90mph freight, used for RHTT leaf busting trains and a few Greater Anglia ECS moves from Liverpool Street to Witham or Chelmsford during the morning peak.
4 is 75mph freight designating Freightliners, primarily.
5 is used for ECS moves.
6 is 60mph freight - i.e. most freight trains will have a Class 6 headcode.
7 or 8 are rarely used, but they denote slow moving freight trains.
9 is used for Passenger trains with priority, used by Eurostars, Virgin Trains London to Scotland via Birmingham and London Overground ELL trains.

Hope this helps.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And on RTT, be wary of randomised headcodes (e.g. 531Z). They are not the real headcode, which take the format 1A23, for example.

Last edited:

collysbubble

0 is generally light engine, although 1Z99 is often used for light engines on ''rescue'' duties.
3 is 90mph freight, used for RHTT leaf busting trains and a few Greater Anglia ECS moves from Liverpool Street to Witham or Chelmsford during the morning peak.
4 is 75mph freight designating Freightliners, primarily.
5 is used for ECS moves.
6 is 60mph freight - i.e. most freight trains will have a Class 6 headcode.
7 or 8 are rarely used, but they denote slow moving freight trains.
9 is used for Passenger trains with priority, used by Eurostars, Virgin Trains London to Scotland via Birmingham and London Overground ELL trains.

Hope this helps.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And on RTT, be wary of randomised headcodes (e.g. 531Z). They are not the real headcode, which take the format 1A23, for example.

thanks alot for your help very usefull infomation there made a note of it now to help me plan visits to stations around my local aera thanks again colly

jnjkerbin

General rules:

0 - Light loco(s)
1 - Express Passenger or a test train
2 - Stopping Passenger
3 - Could be Priority empty coaches/Test Train/Railhead Treatment Train
4 - Freight (75mph)
5 - Empty Coaching Stock
6 - Freight (60mph)
7 - Freight (45mph)
8 - Freight (35mph)
9 - Used to be just international trains but now used on a variety of services such as Scotland - London via Birmingham or East London Line Overground services (generally used to indicate a train which does something different from other trains on the line)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_reporting_number#Headcodes

EDIT: Beaten to it!

Last edited:

jon91

The RTT website is really useful, although if you're looking primarily at photting freight then quite a few freight paths shown on RTT are run as required, you can identify these by the (Q) in the timings column.

carriageline

Established Member
Official definitions:

1:

Express passenger
Nominated postal and parcels
Breakdown or OHL train going to clear the line (1Z99)
Traction unit going to assist a failed train (1Z99)
Snow plough going to clear the line (1Z99)

2:
Ordinary passenger trains
Officers special trains (2Z01 IIRC)

3:
Freight train (only if specially authorised)
A parcels train
RHTT
Empty coach stock (if authorised)

4:
Freight upto 75mph

5:
Empty coach stock

6:
Freight upto 65mph

7:
Freight upto 45mph

8:
Freight upto 35mph

9:
Class 373 (Eurostar!)
Any other passenger train if authorised

0:
Light loco

This helped a fair bit with my rules revising, so thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.