• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rhine Gorge locations and traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertbishop

Hello,

I'm undertaking a trip from the UK to Croatia and back, by train, in May. I've left a day and a half free on the return journey (Thu 11th and Fri 12th) to explore the Rhine Gorge, with a hotel booked in Mainz one day and the next day's booking in Koblenz. I'm interested in recommendations for locations for railway photography, so I can make the most of it.

I will have already traversed the line on the west side as a passenger, so this is about getting off, having a nice walk around and finding some good spots for photographing the landscape, the trains and the castles (ideally together). Having searched the forum I understand Bingen to Koblenz is the most scenic section, including the Loreley Rock, and it's clear there's a walking trail on both sides. I've also been through flickr, but it's not easy working backwards from that.
  • Can anyone recommend the best spots, accessible by train and walking? (Am happy to walk up hills, just to be clear - but I don't want to spend all day doing it!)
  • Would I have to go both sides to catch all of the traffic, or is there a 'best' side to be on? I'm looking for loco-hauled passenger and freight, I think, and obviously the more frequent the better
I'd appreciate hearing about any experiences and recommendations!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I’ve walked up to the Lorelei rock from St Goarshausen (E bank), and from the viewpoint you can photograph traffic on both banks.
Just N of Boppard, there’s a little cable car, under which there’s a steep path (Klettersteig), with some good views of the lines.
If you have time, taking one of the boats a couple of stops might be an option for some photos, but you’d have to be lucky with timings!
Freight does appear on both banks, but more on the E in my experience. For passenger, IC (loco hauled) and a few ICE use the W bank in normal circumstances. Not sure if there are any locos on RE services now.

gysev

I would recommend Kaub on the east bank and Oberwesel on the west bank.

Attachments

• Kaub.JPG
    Kaub.JPG
    623.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Oberwesel.JPG
    Oberwesel.JPG
    543.5 KB · Views: 44

robertbishop

Following up on this post-trip for the benefit of anyone stumbling across this by search. Many thanks for both of the responses above! I decided to concentrate on the Mainz - Koblenz section for practical reasons. For the record, I found the following locations to be very good:

• Assmannshausen, looking across the river
  • Kaub, ditto
  • Oberwesel, from up the hill a bit
  • St Goar, Bismarckweg (although the vantage point from Burg Rheinfels is probably better)
  • St Goarshausen (from Dreiburgenblick)
Traction on the west bank was mostly units on local/regional trains (no loco-hauled on them), loco-hauled ICs (many push-pull), some ICEs and some freight. Traction on the east bank was almost all freight (very, very frequent by UK standards!) and units on regular local trains. The weather could have been better though!

Attachments

• Assmannshausen.jpg
    Assmannshausen.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • Kaub.jpg
    Kaub.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Oberwesel.jpg
    Oberwesel.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 46
  • St Goar.jpg
    St Goar.jpg
    845.7 KB · Views: 47
  • St Goarshausen.jpg
    St Goarshausen.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 47

Veteran Member
Following up on this post-trip for the benefit of anyone stumbling across this by search. Many thanks for both of the responses above! I decided to concentrate on the Mainz - Koblenz section for practical reasons. For the record, I found the following locations to be very good:

• Assmannshausen, looking across the river
  • Kaub, ditto
  • Oberwesel, from up the hill a bit
  • St Goar, Bismarckweg (although the vantage point from Burg Rheinfels is probably better)
  • St Goarshausen (from Dreiburgenblick)
Traction on the west bank was mostly units on local/regional trains (no loco-hauled on them), loco-hauled ICs (many push-pull), some ICEs and some freight. Traction on the east bank was almost all freight (very, very frequent by UK standards!) and units on regular local trains. The weather could have been better though!
Also for future readers, there is a detailed article in the new (Sept 2023) Today's Railways Europe on the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.