• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Richmond station (London) canopies

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbaran

The 1930s SR canopies at Richmond Station are in the process of being modified.

richmond.jpg

Most of the wooden valances have now been stripped off, which is odd as they weren't rotten, just in need of a repaint. I'm a bit concerned that NR will be replacing these with modern corrugated steel or similar, which will destroy their period character. Does anyone know?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Does this relate to the works you've seen?
Its a Planning Application in respect of platform extensions to accommodate 12-car trains.

http://idoxwam.richmond.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Correspondence-943643.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=943643&location=&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=2&appid=1001
and
http://idoxwam.richmond.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Correspondence-943641.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=943641&location=&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=4&appid=1001
. . a wider canopy repair scheme that is required to be completed and aims to repair and replace (on a like for like basis) any defective timber and worn out roof sheeting.

Last edited:

pbaran

Looks like the relevant planning application. So they also plan to extend the platforms, interesting...

J

jocundox

for the sake of safety, it is better using steel structure rather than keeping the wooden canopy weather shed.

HST Power

Established Member
Thought this was a thread about the Richmond up in Yorkshire. I wish they'd rebuild that station. Though the platform extension will be interesting as far as its London counterpart goes.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looks like the relevant planning application. So they also plan to extend the platforms, interesting...

The requirement to extend the platforms at Richmond has always been considered one of the bigger obstacles in the way of the SWT 10 car suburban platform upgrade, Richmond was earlier proposed for SDO because the bridge couldn't easily be widened, and this was still the case in June this year, at least according to the enhancements plan. Yet this application went in significantly earlier - presumably the enhancement plan people aren't fully in the loop.

However now proper lengthening is actually happening should be a good sign that the actual rolling stock is close to getting sorted out.

By the way, I see in the first linked planning application that NR reckon this is about trains into Victoria and London Bridge. :roll: A bit scary how they can make such basic errors...

pbaran

I also noticed the bit about Victoria and London Bridge, and thought it was odd.

It seems that the bulk of the lengthening will be in the tunnel on the west side – I guess the platforms will have to be pretty narrow as there's not much space in there. However longer trains is definitely good news.

pbaran

I thought it would be interesting to post an update on the canopy works at Richmond. Here's a photo I took this morning:

richmond2.jpg

You can see they're almost done with platforms 1 and 2. They're using timber to match the old valances, though it appears to be long panels with precut grooves rather than individual slats. Still, it looks good and it's pleasing to see that Network Rail are paying attention to the heritage of their structures.

Incidentally, does anyone know what the small protruding domes on top of the new roof sheeting are? They're regularly spaced apart and connected by wire.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Hmmm... that's further back isn't it? In the original picture it looked like it was on the edge. Definitely not anti pigeon wire then...

Lrd

Established Member
Would a workman attach his/her harness on to it incase they fell through?

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Correct. There was a recent incident at Havant station where a contractor fell through the roof canopy and on to the platform, as result harnesses are now being put in place to prevent further accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.