• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Richmond & Wimbledon District Line Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have recently had to change my commute to get to Earls Court Station. I take Southwest Trains to Wimbledon or Richmond where Ii change onto the District Line.

It's not too bad in the mornings, but very busy and less straightforward in the evenings.

I was wondering how easy and logical it would be if they could put footbridges in at both stations on the "London" end which would allow and easier interchange between LUL & SWT. At the moment at both station passengers wishing to change trains or exit the station all have to come the same way along the platforms and towards the exit area. It does get congested so by having a second overbridge it would make things easier. Oyster readers could be installed for interchanging passengers if necessary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
I would definitely agree with a second footbridge at Wimbledon. During the morning, the station is full of people who walk slowly and weave across the bridge, not to mention the horrendous overcrowding on the stairs!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A second (interchange) footbridge for Wimbledon towards the London end of the station is already pencilled in as part of the CP5 enhancements.

It appears in the DFT's HLOS 'illustrative options', under the description 'Wimbledon station congestion relief'.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
A second (interchange) footbridge for Wimbledon towards the London end of the station is already pencilled in as part of the CP5 enhancements.

It appears in the DFT's HLOS 'illustrative options', under the description 'Wimbledon station congestion relief'.

That's interesting, i wonder when that will happen and if they will do it at Richmond. It certainly needs to be done at Wimbledon and should be quite easy to do, apart from perhaps platforms 9 & 10 which are smaller than the SWT / LUL platforms.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's interesting, i wonder when that will happen and if they will do it at Richmond. It certainly needs to be done at Wimbledon and should be quite easy to do, apart from perhaps platforms 9 & 10 which are smaller than the SWT / LUL platforms.

Richmond isn't mentioned in any of NR's or DfT's info, I think that is more of a TfL 'aspiration'. DfT's proposals seem to include only Wimbledon and Clapham Jn in this context.

causton

Established Member
Also, those trains are all packed from Clapham Junction, all the time, I've never got a seat at Clapham Junction unless I get to the platform as the previous LO train is leaving! Wimbledon you get more chance of a seat :)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Is all the building work going on now at Wimbledon on the main SWT Platforms in connection with the above mentioned second interchange footbridge, which can't come soon enough?

cjohnson

Is all the building work going on now at Wimbledon on the main SWT Platforms in connection with the above mentioned second interchange footbridge, which can't come soon enough?

No- it's the platform security fencing being installed (appears almost complete) which involved knocking down some of the waiting rooms/kiosks.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Oh, I see thank you, it certainly looks a big project.
...Of course when this thread started the finalised CP5 information hadn't been published, and unfortunately the March 2014 version doesn't explicitly include Wimbledon capacity at all, despite it being in the HLOS.

It's always possible that removing the platform buildings is all that will happen...

londonbridge

Established Member
I would definitely agree with a second footbridge at Wimbledon. During the morning, the station is full of people who walk slowly and weave across the bridge, not to mention the horrendous overcrowding on the stairs!

I used to take the tram to Wimbledon as part of my commute, I soon learned where to position myself so that I could beat most of the other passengers off the tram and up the stairs before I got caught up in the crowd.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Yes Interchanging at Wimbledon in the rush hours is a very fraught experience.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
A short term improvement at Wimbledon would be if the staff actually bothered to enforce the posted one way system - all too often people just ignore it which just causes all manner of problems.

A couple of months ago there was even a fight involving 3 or 4 people on the stairs to the down suburban platform on a Saturday in mid afternoon to which the police had to be summoned. Whether it was related to a wrong way incident or not, I don't know.

simple simon

No- it's the platform security fencing being installed (appears almost complete) which involved knocking down some of the waiting rooms/kiosks.

the railway is putting what suits it operationally in advance of what would benefit passengers.

OK, the fencing will reduce the ability of people to jump in front of non-stop trains, but far more passengers suffer far worse effects from the overcrowded platform access.

Simon

cjohnson

As a passenger, I'd rather it takes a minute or so more to reach the platform than suffer a whole suspension of service for the SWT mainline in the peak due to someone putting themselves in under of a train.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
the railway is putting what suits it operationally in advance of what would benefit passengers.

OK, the fencing will reduce the ability of people to jump in front of non-stop trains, but far more passengers suffer far worse effects from the overcrowded platform access.

Simon

Yes the new fencing on platforms 7 & 8, do seem to flow the passengers going down to platform 8, very close to the fast line on platform 7.

GodAtum

On Moderation
If no trains are going to stop there why did they not have installed it on the platform edge, rather then take up valuable platform space? Have they got rid of the waiting room too?

Domh245

Established Member
Because trains do occasionally stop there. It's rare, but it does happen from time to time, particularly when there is disruption

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
During Wimbledon fortnight quite a lot of fast trains are booked to make additional stops at Wimbledon, especially in the evening.

cjohnson

There's usually one or two an hour on normal Sundays, plus a lot booked over the coming weekends due to engineering work.

Status
Not open for further replies.