• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Industrial Relations issues (including conductor strike action)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Spat my tea back in the cup when I read this tweet posted earlier today. Seems they forgot about the past few months of strikes and the inflammatory tweets they were sending about the strike.

Terribly short memory but of course virtue signalling and awards are the order of the day it seems.

Tweet Quote: "We’re committed to creating a workplace culture that embraces diversity, inclusion and belonging for everyone. #WeAreRail Find out more on this important initiative here: https://womeninrail.org/edi-charter/"

View attachment 105131
I don't understand what relevance that has to the recent period of industrial strife. What would you prefer ScotRail does instead?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PupCuff

Spat my tea back in the cup when I read this tweet posted earlier today. Seems they forgot about the past few months of strikes and the inflammatory tweets they were sending about the strike.

Terribly short memory but of course virtue signalling and awards are the order of the day it seems.

Tweet Quote: "We’re committed to creating a workplace culture that embraces diversity, inclusion and belonging for everyone. #WeAreRail Find out more on this important initiative here: https://womeninrail.org/edi-charter/"

View attachment 105131
The strike wasn't in relation to equality and diversity issues though?

What you see as "virtue signalling" I see as being able to turn up to work and not having to listen to a load of homophobic (or sexist/racist/transphobic as appropriate) claptrap. Or at least less of it.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The strike wasn't in relation to equality and diversity issues though?

What you see as "virtue signalling" I see as being able to turn up to work and not having to listen to a load of homophobic (or sexist/racist/transphobic as appropriate) claptrap. Or at least less of it.
My thoughts entirely. I think the OP needs to reflect on his post.

godfreycomplex

Established Member

View attachment 105131
Catch yourself on

Deltic1961

So you're telling me that during the strike there was no animosity between the striking workers and their managers? Everyone made to feel completely welcome and included in the workplace?

The company have been at war with some employees for 6 months now and outed them in tweets which only stopped after a public backlash.

How is that an inclusive workplace culture?

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
So you're telling me that during the strike there was no animosity between the striking workers and their managers? Everyone made to feel completely welcome and included in the workplace?

The company have been at war with some employees for 6 months now and outed them in tweets which only stopped after a public backlash.

What a ridiculous comment.

godfreycomplex

Established Member

Diversity and inclusion is based on acceptance of who people are. All employers have a moral obligation to do this.

I don’t know anything about the company’s outing people etc and would be curious to see evidence

mpthomson

I think you'll need to evidence what you're alleging if you're using the word 'outing' to mean exposing someone's sexuality without their consent.

PupCuff

If it's the case that someone at Scotrail was outing staff then that's clearly not acceptable. But then when they promote their EDI initiatives bashing that as 'virtue signalling' seems counter productive, the EDI work needs to go on to prevent any future such incidents. You can support your gay/trans colleagues by supporting the diversity initiatives and engaging with them to highlight the issues.

LowLevel

Established Member

Does there have to be? I've been on strike for months now and on a personal level relations with managers right up up the head of function and directors banging heads with our union reps have been perfectly cordial. I believe it is called professionalism, hopefully on both sides. We've still got a railway to try and run.

wobman

On Moderation
Does there have to be? I've been on strike for months now and on a personal level relations with managers right up up the head of function and directors banging heads with our union reps have been perfectly cordial. I believe it is called professionalism, hopefully on both sides. We've still got a railway to try and run.
People obviously don't realise that disputes at this level are dealt with by the unions CC or EC not the local LDC, local DMs are not involved in anyway.
So staff just carry on trying to keep the railways running in a professional environment.

Deltic1961

Well it seems all that stuff has been swept under the carpet (including months of inconvenience to passengers) as Scotrail are now a top employer!

Text: We've been named a UK @TopEmployer for 2022. https://scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/scotrail-recognised-top-employer… #TopEmployer2022
You have to wonder how these "awards" are evaluated given the way Scotrail sent out those horrible tweets about the strikes.

ScotRail has once again been recognised as a Top Employer in the United Kingdom.

Being certified as a Top Employer showcases an organisation’s dedication to a better world of work and exhibits this through excellent HR policies and people practices.

The train operating company is one of 1,857 organisations in 123 countries and regions, across five continents, to be certified by the Top Employers Institute programme, which certifies organisations based on the participation and results of their HR Best Practices Survey.

The survey covers six HR areas, consisting of 20 topics including People Strategy, Work Environment, Talent Acquisition, Learning, Well-being, and Diversity & Inclusion and more.

Marie-Therese Weighton, ScotRail Interim HR Director, said:

“We are delighted to be able to celebrate our re-certification as a Top Employer in 2022, our third year in a row.

“This accolade is a fantastic representation of the hard work and commitment of our colleagues in HR and across the wider business, in what has been another challenging year for the rail industry.

“I am extremely proud of everyone as we continue to maintain the highest levels of commitment to people performance, diversity and inclusion, wellbeing, and development.

David Plink, Top Employers Institute CEO, said:

“Reflecting on the demanding year that has, like the year before it, impacted organisations across the world, ScotRail has continued to show that it prioritises maintaining excellent people practices in the workplace.

“They continue to meet the challenges of the changing world of work while working tirelessly to make a positive impact on the lives of their workforce. We are pleased to celebrate and applaud the organisations that have been certified as Top Employers in their respective countries this year.”

Link to Twitter post here: https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/1485220266485563392

1642939415691.png

Last edited:

driverd

I think it reflects the strange world some railway staff live in. Where a company trying to maximise efficiencies by slight changes to working practices, no job losses, no pay cuts and no change in contracts otherwise, is seen as grounds for strike action. Conditions are generally far better than many other sectors for everyone from cleaners to directors and these awards will recognise that.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Where a company trying to maximise efficiencies by slight changes to working practices,(...) and no change in contracts otherwise, is seen as grounds for strike action.

Changes to working practices leads to a change in contracts. Hence the strike action. Any company is free to change any working practice and this is often welcomed by employees if it leads to growth but a change that leads to an alteration to Employee terms should be negotiated and agreed upon, not forced through.

Conditions are generally far better than many other sectors for everyone from cleaners to directors and these awards will recognise that.

This depends on your perspective. Not everyone likes the conditions the railway has, especially in an operational grade. They aren't great to be honest but the money offsets some horrendous working practices.

The best job I ever had was the worst paid. The best company I worked for was in the worst industry I've worked in. The railway gives me enough money that most of the time I just accept the rubbish as part and parcel of the job.

Alstom
LNER
East Midlands Railway

All have the accreditation.

Last edited:

driverd

Changes to working practices leads to a change in contracts. Hence the strike action. Any company is free to change any working practice and this is often welcomed by employees if it leads to growth but a change that leads to an alteration to Employee terms should be negotiated and agreed upon, not forced through.

Not necessarily. Contracts are often pretty vague, it tends to be the documents that set out work practices that change, contracts remain as was. The only example I can think of where there is significant contract change was with the introduction of Southerns OBS grade.

This depends on your perspective. Not everyone likes the conditions the railway has, especially in an operational grade. They aren't great to be honest but the money offsets some horrendous working practices.

Would you care to detail any working practices you feel are worse than comparative industries? I can't think of anything, that when compared to buses, road logistics or airlines (if we're talking about crew - and what I know of the other similar industries) is anywhere near as bad.

I also think on a broader note, it should be worth pointing out that such an accreditation is looking at far more than just relations with operational staff.

Deltic1961

What do these awards achieve though? Does anyone genuinely care? Wow much does it cost the companies to be part of the scheme?

I'm sure 99% of the customers would rather just have a reliable reasonably priced railway service.

Councils seem hell bent on them too to tell everyone what a wonderful job they are doing.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Not necessarily. Contracts are often pretty vague, it tends to be the documents that set out work practices that change, contracts remain as was. The only example I can think of where there is significant contract change was with the introduction of Southerns OBS grade.

Which is where strike action mostly comes from. It's those 'significant' contract changes that people care about and where dispute happens. For as long as an employees contract remains the same then your 'right to strike' is very limited and rightfully so.

Would you care to detail any working practices you feel are worse than comparative industries?

You stated, and I quote :

Conditions are generally far better than many other sectors for everyone from cleaners to directors and these awards will recognise that.

Not 'comparative' industries.

I can't think of anything, that when compared to buses, road logistics or airlines (if we're talking about crew - and what I know of the other similar industries) is anywhere near as bad.

Breaks and continuous driving​

After 5 hours 30 minutes of driving you must take a break of at least 30 minutes for rest and refreshment.

Or, within any period of 8 hours 30 minutes, you must take at least 45 minutes in breaks. You must also have a break of at least 30 minutes at the end of this period, unless it’s the end of the working day.

A comparative one first. I can work 9hr 15min and only have a 30 minute break. They win on that one. It's kinda scary that 30min 'in the room' is all that I'm entitled to when driving a train all day and potentially from 0530 in the morning.

Same condition but 'other sector(s)'. How many other places of employment will give their employees a full 1hr lunch break ? When I worked in retail; if you worked all day you would get 1hr lunch and 2x 15min tea breaks.

driverd

Which is where strike action mostly comes from. It's those 'significant' contract changes that people care about and where dispute happens. For as long as an employees contract remains the same then your 'right to strike' is very limited and rightfully so.

Perhaps at your employer but I've seen many more ridiculous disputes over the tiniest of matters (and yes, as my name suggests, I am employed as a driver).

Not 'comparative' industries.

I believe that is so, however, you mentioned issues that you weren't happy with in your employment. I was curious what those were.

A comparative one first. I can work 9hr 15min and only have a 30 minute break. They win on that one. It's kinda scary that 30min 'in the room' is all that I'm entitled to when driving a train all day and potentially from 0530 in the morning.

You know as well as I do that you'd itd be nigh on impossible to diagram a job like that. I suspect you also have 15 mins to book on, 5 or 10 mins to book off, at least 5 mins walking time for most movements between trains and before/after breaks, as well time allowances for things that are generally more than needed.

Then there's the dead time between trains which isn't an official break but gives you time to grab a coffee, go to the toilet etc.

Same condition but 'other sector(s)'. How many other places of employment will give their employees a full 1hr lunch break ? When I worked in retail; if you worked all day you would get 1hr lunch and 2x 15min tea breaks.

Yes, but generally unpaid.

From my experience with trainee drivers, where we had to record drive time, generally speaking you'd be hard pushed to break 6 hours actual drive time in a 10 hour job. I accept that'll be different at different TOCs depending on nature of work, however, many truck drivers will literally drive using every minute the tacho can give them because thats their employment requirements. I can safely say, in over a decade in the industry, I've never worked a bare minimum diagram with literally no additional time than book on, walking time and a bare minimum break.

I do feel we risk drifting off topic here however!

ComUtoR

Established Member
You know as well as I do that you'd itd be nigh on impossible to diagram a job like that.

Whose fault is that ? Running things at tight as a proverbial wearing a proverbial is what breaks the railway. It is also a factor in incidents. As others are so fond in saying. The railway needs to change, not constantly say things are impossible.

From my experience with trainee drivers, where we had to record drive time, generally speaking you'd be hard pushed to break 6 hours actual drive time in a 10 hour job.

Yes, the railway is horribly inefficient.

I've never worked a bare minimum diagram with literally no additional time than book on, walking time and a bare minimum break.

For sure its different between TOCs. I've worked many many turns with the bare minimum. ♥♥♥Metro4Life♥♥♥

I do feel we risk drifting off topic here however!

Indeed.

dk1

Veteran Member
From my experience with trainee drivers, where we had to record drive time, generally speaking you'd be hard pushed to break 6 hours actual drive time in a 10 hour job. I accept that'll be different at different TOCs depending on nature of work, however, many truck drivers will literally drive using every minute the tacho can give them because thats their employment requirements. I can safely say, in over a decade in the industry, I've never worked a bare minimum diagram with literally no additional time than book on, walking time and a bare minimum break.
I tend to get released when I’m with a trainee who needs local routes & find we do 5-5.5 hours driving a day which is very good indeed as we can pick & choose trains. Those with a driver in their link who does required routes for their hours often end up with long PNBs, shed & ferry or depot work or the odd route not needed within the diagram. This then means the trainee can end up with as little as an hour or even less per shift.

wobman

On Moderation
I tend to get released when I’m with a trainee who needs local routes & find we do 5-5.5 hours driving a day which is very good indeed as we can pick & choose trains. Those with a driver in their link who does required routes for their hours often end up with long PNBs, shed & ferry or depot work or the odd route not needed within the diagram. This then means the trainee can end up with as little as an hour or even less per shift.
Different tocs train the trainee drivers all varied way, we get a trainee and they follow our line of work in the main link.
So they can get 6 to 7hrs driving a day, but they cover all routes not just their core routes in the trainee driver link.
Only in the last 6 weeks of the hours do they only covet the trainee core routes and then have a 2 week mop up time to cover routes with poor coverage.

All tocs work in different ways I've found and things are different depot to depot within a toc !

PG

Established Member
Well it seems all that stuff has been swept under the carpet (including months of inconvenience to passengers) as Scotrail are now a top employer!

Text: We've been named a UK @TopEmployer for 2022. https://scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/scotrail-recognised-top-employer… #TopEmployer2022
You have to wonder how these "awards" are evaluated given the way Scotrail sent out those horrible tweets about the strikes.

ScotRail has once again been recognised as a Top Employer in the United Kingdom.

David Plink, Top Employers Institute CEO, said:

“Reflecting on the demanding year that has, like the year before it, impacted organisations across the world, ScotRail has continued to show that it prioritises maintaining excellent people practices in the workplace.

“They continue to meet the challenges of the changing world of work while working tirelessly to make a positive impact on the lives of their workforce. We are pleased to celebrate and applaud the organisations that have been certified as Top Employers in their respective countries this year.”
Well if any organisation bothers to print off a copy of the certification then a strong probability that it's not worth the paper it's printed on!
By way of an example of running a mailmerge type exercise I give you this quote from the Santander website.
Top Employers Institute CEO David Plink says:
“Reflecting on the demanding year that has, like the year before it, impacted organisations across the world, Santander UK has continued to show that it prioritises maintaining excellent people practices in the workplace.

They continue to meet the challenges of the changing world of work while working tirelessly to make a positive impact on the lives of their workforce. We are pleased to celebrate and applaud the organisations that have been certified as Top Employers in their respective countries this year.”
I wonder if Mr Plink said or says anything? I suspect the only people who appreciate the output of the Top Employers Institute are journalists looking for easy copy!

Deltic1961

It's funny that. I once worked for an oil company who kept winning these employer awards but the staff feedback surveys were scathing. Never made any sense whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.