• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT Strike Action Thursday 20th, Saturday 22nd and Saturday 29th July 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterY

Established Member
At what point do these strikes just become wallpaper to at least the leisure travelling public?
They'll tut, shake their head, take their refund and book a plane, coach or drive.
They'll try the train next time and if its not on strike, great, if it is...rinse and repeat
I think that 1 day strikes barely make the news now and IMO they're not working. Perhaps time to try a different tactic and go for an all out strike but I can't see that happening. Ah well, just another Saturday, I'll do something that doesn't involve train travel. :frown:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Sooner or later the government will just impose the changes the RMT could have negotiated and attempted to mitigate.

I must have missed the part where the Government negotiated in good faith instead of refusing to give any ground or provide a reasonable offer.

Established Member
Travelling down to Southampton for a cruise during this period , so every chance i will have to make alternative plans, however i back them to the hilt , workers wages and t& cs are far more important than my plans for a holiday. Best of luck to them they have my full backing.
Noting your location, the Sleeper will presumably be an option to London, then NatEx to Southampton if it comes to it?

footprints

I must have missed the part where the Government negotiated in good faith instead of refusing to give any ground or providing a reasonable offer.
Who said anything about the Government negotiating in good faith? Perhaps if the RMT executive were to have put the last offer, their own negotiators had agreed line by line, to their members, those same members may no longer be continuing to lose money hand over fist pursuing fruitless industrial action that's increasingly irrelevant.

Skimble19

Established Member
The 4 weeks notice makes me think they'll announce something in a day or two with 2 weeks notice.
Must admit I thought this too. Seems a bit out of character to announce these 4 weeks out with nothing scheduled before the dates.

baz962

Established Member
The problem is that the government haven't budged. Sooner or later the public will run out of patience.
I don't disagree but the point stands, his aim isn't to upset the public. And anyway it isn't just the payrise. Some of the things they want are horrendous. So should we just roll over.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Who said anything about the Government negotiating in good faith? Perhaps if the RMT executive were to have put the last offer, their own negotiators had agreed line by line, to their members, those same members may no longer be continuing to lose money hand over fist pursuing fruitless industrial action that's increasingly irrelevant.

Er... you did? You claimed the RMT could have negotiated the changes but negotiations require flexibility on both sides. It's clear the Government has zero interest or desire to bring this dispute to a close by dropping or at least conceding some of the changes to Ts & Cs which remain unacceptable to RMT members.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
At what point do these strikes just become wallpaper to at least the leisure travelling public?
They'll tut, shake their head, take their refund and book a plane, coach or drive.
They'll try the train next time and if its not on strike, great, if it is...rinse and repeat
That's already the case for me. If it's a working day I'll work from home, if it's a day off I'll have a bus trip to the Peak District with the £2 single fare deal. Mick Lynch can stamp his little feet and have as many hissy fits as he likes, most people will just find something else to do or another way to travel

baz962

Established Member
Winchester City - Cribbs away is on the 29th. Whitehawk away was on the 22nd, but I've just found out that it was cancelled.

Then perhaps he could stop MPs and bankers from getting to Parliament/the City, instead of ordinary people who just want to enjoy their Saturdays.
As much as I aren't a big fan of MP's and bankers, they are er normal people too. Some even have families and go out to places like the football. I bet the club you support has a few banker's in the posh seats.

footprints

The problem is that the government haven't budged. Sooner or later the public will run out of patience.
I think the public's perception of the strikes is worse than running out of patience. It's weary indifference, while the government couldn't care less. Plenty of trains will run on RMT strike days, passengers will make alternative arrangements if they need to, no new offer will be forthcoming... And the RMT will do it all again next month.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What odds on ASLEF announcing strike dates shortly?

Drogba11CFC

As much as I aren't a big fan of MP's and bankers, they are er normal people too. Some even have families and go out to places like the football. I bet the club you support has a few banker's in the posh seats.
We don't have posh seats at Winchester City.

footprints

Er... you did? You claimed the RMT could have negotiated the changes but negotiations require flexibility on both sides. It's clear the Government has zero interest or desire to bring this dispute to a close by dropping or at least conceding some of the changes to Ts & Cs which remain unacceptable to RMT members.
If negotiation requires flexibility on both sides, would you care to give an example of how the RMT have given a single concession in talks so far? The RMT's idea of negotiation is capitulation to their demands. The two sides are as intransigent as each other.

baz962

Established Member
We don't have posh seats at Winchester City.
You should do.

If negotiation requires flexibility on both sides, would you care to give an example of how the RMT have given a single concession in talks so far? The RMT's idea of negotiation is total capitulation. The two sides are as intransigent as each other.
Because no one in their right mind would agree to what the government wants.

WrongRoad

How much will the 21st be affected? I am due to travel from Jersey to the Derby via Poole. I am assuming a relatively normal service from mid morning going off EMR on my local line. Maybe busier due to being in the middle of two strike days.
Normally SWR on strike days, there’s no service past Southampton. You may need to look at your journey from Poole.

Russel

Established Member
I think the public's perception of the strikes is worse than running out of patience. It's weary indifference, while the government couldn't care less. Plenty of trains will run on RMT strike days, passengers will make alternative arrangements if they need to, no new offer will be forthcoming... And the RMT will do it all again next month.

Sort of makes the whole thing a bit pointless then.

They've already announced ASOS in early July so I would be surprised if any actual strike dates were announced before then.
Do you think there is a good chance that ASLEF will strike on the Fridays before the 2 Saturday strikes? It has happened with previous strikes this year.

Train_manager

What's it got to do with the Tory government??

They(Tories) claim its a matter between the privately owned TOCs and the trade Unions?

Have I missed something?

mm333

My Granddaughter birthday was travelling from Huddersfield to Stockport..which is a nightmare on a weekly basis.
Now I'm looking at taxis both ways

There’s an hourly bus from Huddersfield to Oldham, then a through-tram to East Didsbury and then a taxi or a bus to Stockport, if that’s useful?

12LDA28C

Established Member

As already stated, the members vote for strike action, not Mick Lynch.

What's it got to do with the Tory government??

They(Tories) claim its a matter between the privately owned TOCs and the trade Unions?

Have I missed something?

This is satire, right?

Do you think there is a good chance that ASLEF will strike on the Fridays before the 2 Saturday strikes? It has happened with previous strikes this year.

Possibly, although I'm not convinced they will announce any more strikes until after the ASOS is finished which is July 8th. If that's the case then that should mean at least Friday 21st should be strike-free.

Drogba11CFC

Well, at least the Cribbs Premier Inn will get my custom on the 29th...on flex booking just in case circumstances change. (ie getting a lift or the strike being cancelled)

Unfortunately for the RMT, Winchester are now away to a team in Woking on the 22nd...which is perfectly doable from Alton by bus!

Status
Not open for further replies.