• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT Strike affecting London Underground services from 23rd to 28th July; ASLEF Strike action on 26th and 28th July. (Strike now suspended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know there's planned strike action on the 29th July on the TOCs but why would London Underground have severe disruption on that day?
I would expect distruption until late morning as many night shift workers will not be on duty. These include Train Operators, so trains will be out of position for the morning timetable; depot staff including Shunters, so trains will be stuck in depots; station staff, so stations will be closed; as well as signallers and other control staff.

Whilst the dead early staff will be booking on as usual, without many of these other grades who wouldn’t start until circa 7a.m., trains in many locations won’t typically be able to run until after then.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thirteen

I would expect distruption until late morning as many night shift workers will not be on duty. These include Train Operators, so trains will be out of position for the morning timetable; depot staff including Shunters, so trains will be stuck in depots; station staff, so stations will be closed; as well as signallers and other control staff.

Whilst the dead early staff will be booking on as usual, without many of these other grades who wouldn’t start until circa 7a.m., trains in many locations won’t typically be able to run until after then.
So things will be okay after midday?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
as well as signallers and other control staff.
Most control staff should be on duty Friday night into Saturday morning, so as soon as early turns start booking on things can roll. The service control strike (barring some staff, but let's not get into the minutiae) is Tuesday and Thursday.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Most control staff should be on duty Friday night into Saturday morning, so as soon as early turns start booking on things can roll. The service control strike (barring some staff, but let's not get into the minutiae) is Tuesday and Thursday.
Yes of course, I was however speaking more generally as to why the service is disrupted the morning after a strike rather than on any specific day.

kw12

So what disruption is expected on the Tuesday and Thursday?

pitdiver

All this talk of CSMs does this grade relate to the CSM grade created for the aborted "Action Stations" fiasco. In my own circumstances AS was abandoned whilst I was at the Railway Training Centre. However i got caught by the next fiasco " The Company Plan". From a BC2 i became a "Multi Functional Station Supervisor" out on the north end of the "Met". Then eventually got promotion to a MFSS 2 Googe St.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
All this talk of CSMs does this grade relate to the CSM grade created for the aborted "Action Stations" fiasco. In my own circumstances AS was abandoned whilst I was at the Railway Training Centre. However i got caught by the next fiasco " The Company Plan". From a BC2 i became a "Multi Functional Station Supervisor" out on the north end of the "Met". Then eventually got promotion to a MFSS 2 Googe St.

No. Customer Service Managers (1-3) were created as part of Fit For the Future (Stations) c2014 onwards. It is, by and large, a replacement for the old Duty Station Manager grade, in conjunction with station groups becoming station areas (likewise changing the old Group Station Manager to Area Manager).

My understanding is that the proposed stations changes largely reverse these alterations from a headcount/structure perspective.

pitdiver

No. Customer Service Managers (1-3) were created as part of Fit For the Future (Stations) c2014 onwards. It is, by and large, a replacement for the old Duty Station Manager grade, in conjunction with station groups becoming station areas (likewise changing the old Group Station Manager to Area Manager).

My understanding is that the proposed stations changes largely reverse these alterations from a headcount/structure perspective.
The GSM grade was the successor to area manager under Action Stations back in 89/90. I worked with former booking clerks that had qualified to take on operational roles. These were called CSMs. They received an increase in salary commensurate with the increased responsibility but never took up the roles as AS was abandoned but they kept the increased salary for a period of time.

James H

Do we know yet how the impact of the strike will vary by day?

What are the chances of Farringdon being closed to Thameslink passengers on Sunday 23 July?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

What are the chances of Farringdon being closed to Thameslink passengers on Sunday 23 July?

Probably low - Farringdon will be a massive priority because of not only Thameslink but Elizabeth line.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Station staff aren't on strike on the Sunday.

bluegoblin7

Established Member

Almost certainly no service on Sunday, Tuesday-Friday (incl.) with residual disruption Monday and Saturday.

Negligible; station staff aren't on strike on the Sunday (only Wednesday and Friday).

That said, even on those days it is likely that 'shared' stations, such as those on the Elizabeth line Central Operating Section (COS), will be prioritised for 'Licensed Ambassador' staff (aka "strike-breakers") coverage in order to remain open, although it is likely that these stations would have a late start up and early finish given the predominantly office-based roles these staff are typically drawn from.

Snow1964

Established Member
Yes of course, I was however speaking more generally as to why the service is disrupted the morning after a strike rather than on any specific day.

It's the way the strike time gets commonly used as same time as disruption. The strike instruction is not to commence during booking on time.

Thus a person booked on night shift starting at 11pm doing 8 hour shift would be out until 7am. Some 7 hours after strike time finishes.

But of course a person starting 11pm day before works through to 7am on strike day, so if they were preparing trains, and they didn't get used on strike day would be all ready for day afters service.

I suspect virtually no shifts start between midnight and 5am, so effect would be much same if start and end times had been 5 hours later.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Thirteen

I find it strange no one is striking on the Monday but I guess they will be spillover from the strike from the previous day.

Mawkie

Normal service all day, ramping down early evening with all trains in depots for 8pm.
Eh? I don't think that can be the case, can it? Are you suggesting there won't be support amongst the grades on the Sunday, or that those grades being on strike won't have any impact?

(Screenshot indicates strike dates including from Sunday at 0001hrs.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-18-09-48-25-31_b73d025e34d3569bf7e97abab31af632.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-18-09-48-25-31_b73d025e34d3569bf7e97abab31af632.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 50

lonogrol

Eh? I don't think that can be the case, can it? Are you suggesting there won't be support amongst the grades on the Sunday, or that those grades being on strike won't have any impact?

(Screenshot indicates strike dates including from Sunday at 0001hrs.)
Of the grades on strike - Track Access Controllers would only affect engineering hours rather than passenger service - Power Control has contingency staff made up from senior managers but only enough for a single shift - Emergency Response Unit always gets covered by their management team - London Underground Control Centre is almost entirely T.S.S.A.

Mawkie

That's insightful, so you think the strike will be ineffective on the Sunday. Why would the service wind down by 2000hrs if there is no planned action on Monday and everything is covered on Sunday - is that because power control won't have enough staff to cover? Would that have any impact on the Monday morning start of traffic?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Yes, there will be disruption on Monday morning as there won’t be night turns on duty (as above). Late start up, potentially not until around 0800 depending on all of the various factors at play.

And, of course, it doesn’t mean there won’t be any disruption on Sunday at all - contingency staff may not be available down to sickness etc whilst there are still legal requirements for things like meal breaks. There’s a very big spotlight and focus on safety and ensuring such staff comply with relevant procedures and processes, so it would be a very brave individual to, say, not take a meal break on a 12-hour shift.

lonogrol

And, of course, it doesn’t mean there won’t be any disruption on Sunday at all - contingency staff may not be available down to sickness etc whilst there are still legal requirements for things like meal breaks. There’s a very big spotlight and focus on safety and ensuring such staff comply with relevant procedures and processes, so it would be a very brave individual to, say, not take a meal break on a 12-hour shift.
Most of the grades and locations concerned already work 12 hour shifts without a meal relief as part of either their normal rosters, or as per custom and practice.

That's insightful, so you think the strike will be ineffective on the Sunday. Why would the service wind down by 2000hrs if there is no planned action on Monday and everything is covered on Sunday - is that because power control won't have enough staff to cover? Would that have any impact on the Monday morning start of traffic?
As I said above, there is only enough contingency staff to operate a service for a single shift. It has therefore been decided to cover the day rather than night shift.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Press release from TfL today with service planned as below:
Sunday 23 and Monday 24 July – London Underground services will close early on Sunday 23 July with customers advised to complete their journeys by 19:00. On Monday 24 July, a good service is expected by late-morning.

Tuesday 25 and Thursday 27 July – Little or no service expected across the London Underground

Wednesday 26 and Friday 28 July – No service expected across London Underground including Night Tube

Saturday 29 July – Tube services will start later than normal with a good service expected by midday

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Hi. For the layperson, can anyone give a clue as to what “little or no service” means in the context of “little”? That implies there will be some services running on LU on the Tuesday and Thursday, but how little is little?

PsychoMouse

Hi. For the layperson, can anyone give a clue as to what “little or no service” means in the context of “little”? That implies there will be some services running on LU on the Tuesday and Thursday, but how little is little?

If the last strike is anything to go by 'little to no service' means no service.

TFN

“Little” probably means a few shuttle services not in Zone 1 and subsurface stations.

An example being Ealing Broadway - White City shuttle or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.