• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT turns down Network Rail Pay Offer

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Interested to know this as well, it would seem strange that the RMT is looking to scrap a bonus scheme offered to their members!
Perhaps they're thinking practically as to what can be done to limit the costs of a pay increase in these difficult times.

Royal351

Interested to know this as well, it would seem strange that the RMT is looking to scrap a bonus scheme offered to their members!
To me the logic behind it is that if you strike during the year you don't get the bonus, plus they didnt pay the 21/22 bonus despite there were no strikes that year, as strikes didnt start till Summer 22. After the end of the tax year.
They'd rather have the money as part of the base salary instead of as a bonus

Signal_Box

The union went into the pay talks taking November's RPI which was 5.3%, as the pay award date was Jan 2024.

Plus the full deal Network Rail has come back to RMT is was rubbish.
NR response to more or less anything the union put forward was to set a torch to it and go "lol no". I can sense a fun summer ahead

There is zero appetite for strike action among operations, the strike last time was pittering out towards end.

DMckduck97

Another thread yet again filled with non railway staff who haven't done their research and slating the union and/or it's subs...

mrcheek

Established Member
Another thread yet again filled with non railway staff who haven't done their research and slating the union and/or it's subs...
and another thread with people parroting everything RMT says without taking into account the actual financial situation.

furnessvale

Established Member
Length of the Offer: Network Rail offered a 1-year deal.
· Pay: Network Rail offered a 3.5% pay increase, saying it would be a real-term increase based on average expected inflation of 2.1-3.1% for the year ahead. It has always been the case that pay offers have been based on RPI for November of the previous year. RPI was 5.3% in November 2023. The RMT rejected this on the basis that using forecast inflation rather than the November RPI figure for negotiations is wrong.
· Minimum Uplift: The company rejected our claim for a minimum uplift.
· Bands 5-8 Pay Cap: Network Rail had previously committed to removing the cap on Bands 5-8 salaries but have removed this from their offer.
· No Compulsory Redundancies: Network Rail rejected our claim to extend the current No Compulsory Redundancy offer that is due to end on 31st January 2025
· Family Friendly Policies: Network Rail accepted our claim for an improved premature baby policy and has proposed an increase of 1-day extra leave for parents of premature babies. They have indicated they are open to discussing other family-friendly policies separately.
· Expenses: Network Rail proposed a common expenses policy with this being the current Network Rail policy with no proposed increase to any of the amounts.
· PDTA and Mileage Payments: Network Rail proposed harmonising the amounts rather than increasing them, as per the RMT claim, although they were not prepared to deal with this as part of the pay talks.
· Reduction in the Working Week: Network Rail rejected the RMT requests regarding a reduced work week although said that they would meet separately to the pay deal to discuss those who have contracts greater than 35 hours.
· Bands 5-8 Contracts: A working group will continue but will be dealt with outside of the pay talks. In the initial discussions, Network Rail offered the removal of performance-related pay for Bands 5-8 for the duration of the pay offer only to withdraw this in their pay offer.
· Travel Facilities: Network Rail rejected an improvement in the current travel facilities.
· Bonus Scheme: Network Rail rejected our claim to scrap the bonus scheme.
· London and South East Allowance: Network Rail rejected our claim for an increase in London and South East allowances as they thought that these were already fair.
· Annual Leave Increase: Network Rail rejected our claim for improvements to annual leave but proposed instead the ability to sell, buy, and bank annual leave.
· Grade 10 Signaller and Grade 11 Supervisor: Network Rail rejected our claim to raise the grading structure to Grade 10 for Signallers and Grade 11 for Supervisors. They said that they would continue discussions in the job evaluation forum. The job evaluation forum exists to regrade existing roles. This forum cannot renegotiate the grading structure.
· Pensions: Network Rail said that it would be unaffordable to improve pensions and rejected this.
· Managed Stations: A working group will continue at the National Operations Council but will be dealt with outside of the pay talks.
· Signaller General Purpose Relief Premium: Network Rail rejected our claim for an increase to the premium from 4% to 10%.
· Union Learning Representatives: Network Rail said that this is a mutual area of interest that they would like to discuss separately away from pay talks.
The offer has been formally rejected by your Union. I have written today to the company following the rejection of this offer seeking fresh negotiations and for the company to table an improved offer for your consideration.
If those are strings, most seem to have been attached by RMT rather than NR.

winks

Also I’m not really sure how much benefit FIP would offer. How many Network Rail staff would use it or indeed other TOC staff..?

GardenRail

^This^

and another thread with people parroting everything RMT says without taking into account the actual financial situation.
It's a good job that not everyone is in a race to the bottom.

Most railway staff are in a Union to achieve the best they can through-out their career, and that includes wages. Without a Union, do you think railway companies would offer a pay rise out of generosity? From the kindness of their hearts? Because they feel a bit warm and fuzzy? Never do they come first and make an offer. It always amuses me how railway staff are vilified for trying to get better. Like there's an expectation, that railway staff should bin their T&Cs, and indeed wages, to fall in line with people not as fortunate. Rather than everyone else fight for better.

I do take in to account the financial situation, as you put it. Council Tax up 5%. Utilities up. Phone bill up. Car Tax up. Petrol to get me to work, up. Train Fares, up. Shopping up. Why shouldn't people fight for better. Compared to 3 years ago, personally, I'm about £250 worse off, every month. 3.5% does not make up for that, and/or the reducing standard of living from 3 years ago. Inflation might be lower, but prices are not falling. I suspect many commentators on this subject are not rail staff, and feel, what can only be described as envious. That's fine, but everything rail staff have, has been fought for over many, many years. We do not want to lose it.

Maybe because its not pensionable, and could help fund a proper pay rise? not sure.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member

To me the logic behind it is that if you strike during the year you don't get the bonus, plus they didnt pay the 21/22 bonus despite there were no strikes that year, as strikes didnt start till Summer 22. After the end of the tax year.
They'd rather have the money as part of the base salary instead of as a bonus
Its a performance related bonus, if all the scorecards hit their targets (good luck with that ever happening), the full amount is paid out. I am assuming that RMT want that got rid off and the bonus amount just paid into salaries regardless of performance.

Elecman

Established Member
Is that within Network Rail's gift to offer? Honest question, I don't really know who regulates (for lack of a better word!) FIP and so who Network Rail would need to even speak to try an agree that?
No it isn’t as it would be upto all the RDG to unanimously agree and there are certain TOCs that won’t agree to any improvements in the NR travel scheme.

GardenRail

No it isn’t as it would be upto all the RDG to unanimously agree and there are certain TOCs that won’t agree to any improvements in the NR travel scheme.
But they could agree to try, and if it gets turned down, well its out of their hands, but they tried. Simplistic, but they'd just have to tell the RMT, well, so n so TOC declined. Book passed. Done.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
On staff travel there wasn’t much more Network Rail could offer… Leisure and Duty travel both already covered.
The sticking point for me is that non-safeguarded NR staff lose their priv travel on retirement whereas safeguarded staff keep theirs. If the RMT could secure this plus an extension of the "no compulsory redundancies" policy by another year, I'd happily accept this deal regardless of the pay offer.

dk1

Veteran Member
The sticking point for me is that non-safeguarded NR staff lose their priv travel on retirement whereas safeguarded staff keep theirs. If the RMT could secure this plus an extension of the "no compulsory redundancies" policy by another year, I'd happily accept this deal regardless of the pay offer.
Non-safeguarded TOC staff lose their priv travel too afaik. Only exception is that some could keep the free travel for their own TOC as long as that company retained the franchise.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

There are not many safeguarded staff left in NR - basically those with 28+ years service who haven’t given it up. I‘d be surprised if it’s more than 5% of the company.

The Planner

Veteran Member
There are not many safeguarded staff left in NR - basically those with 28+ years service who haven’t given it up. I‘d be surprised if it’s more than 5% of the company.
And anyone with 28 years plus is normally hand delivering their VS applications to HR at the moment!

Snow1964

Established Member
If those are strings, most seem to have been attached by RMT rather than NR.
Tend to agree, that is more like a fantasy wish list from RMT than anything to do with annual pay percentage.

Not surprising that Network Rail said some of these can be be discussed but not as part of pay talks.

Perhaps I don't understand RMT terminology but things like expenses are not pay related, they are reimbursements, are they confusing the issue by talking about specific allowances.

Goldfish62

Established Member
A friend of mine recently retired from a TOC after 27 years service. He knew he wasn't safeguarded when he joined back in 1997. It's not a problem and he accepts it.

Vinnym

Length of the Offer: Network Rail offered a 1-year deal.
· Pay: Network Rail offered a 3.5% pay increase, saying it would be a real-term increase based on average expected inflation of 2.1-3.1% for the year ahead. It has always been the case that pay offers have been based on RPI for November of the previous year. RPI was 5.3% in November 2023. The RMT rejected this on the basis that using forecast inflation rather than the November RPI figure for negotiations is wrong.
· Minimum Uplift: The company rejected our claim for a minimum uplift.
· Bands 5-8 Pay Cap: Network Rail had previously committed to removing the cap on Bands 5-8 salaries but have removed this from their offer.
· No Compulsory Redundancies: Network Rail rejected our claim to extend the current No Compulsory Redundancy offer that is due to end on 31st January 2025
· Family Friendly Policies: Network Rail accepted our claim for an improved premature baby policy and has proposed an increase of 1-day extra leave for parents of premature babies. They have indicated they are open to discussing other family-friendly policies separately.
· Expenses: Network Rail proposed a common expenses policy with this being the current Network Rail policy with no proposed increase to any of the amounts.
· PDTA and Mileage Payments: Network Rail proposed harmonising the amounts rather than increasing them, as per the RMT claim, although they were not prepared to deal with this as part of the pay talks.
· Reduction in the Working Week: Network Rail rejected the RMT requests regarding a reduced work week although said that they would meet separately to the pay deal to discuss those who have contracts greater than 35 hours.
· Bands 5-8 Contracts: A working group will continue but will be dealt with outside of the pay talks. In the initial discussions, Network Rail offered the removal of performance-related pay for Bands 5-8 for the duration of the pay offer only to withdraw this in their pay offer.
· Travel Facilities: Network Rail rejected an improvement in the current travel facilities.
· Bonus Scheme: Network Rail rejected our claim to scrap the bonus scheme.
· London and South East Allowance: Network Rail rejected our claim for an increase in London and South East allowances as they thought that these were already fair.
· Annual Leave Increase: Network Rail rejected our claim for improvements to annual leave but proposed instead the ability to sell, buy, and bank annual leave.
· Grade 10 Signaller and Grade 11 Supervisor: Network Rail rejected our claim to raise the grading structure to Grade 10 for Signallers and Grade 11 for Supervisors. They said that they would continue discussions in the job evaluation forum. The job evaluation forum exists to regrade existing roles. This forum cannot renegotiate the grading structure.
· Pensions: Network Rail said that it would be unaffordable to improve pensions and rejected this.
· Managed Stations: A working group will continue at the National Operations Council but will be dealt with outside of the pay talks.
· Signaller General Purpose Relief Premium: Network Rail rejected our claim for an increase to the premium from 4% to 10%.
· Union Learning Representatives: Network Rail said that this is a mutual area of interest that they would like to discuss separately away from pay talks.
The offer has been formally rejected by your Union. I have written today to the company following the rejection of this offer seeking fresh negotiations and for the company to table an improved offer for your consideration.