• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT vote 4 to 1 to strike over NR pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

carriageline

Established Member
Well our ROC (Romf) Colchester not moving until 2022 at the earliest (from 2017) Cambridge 2023 at the earliest, but reckoned not then either, Broadland lines was 2016 maybe 2018, but way over budget and due to cancellation/postponed Colchester remodelling, no siganlling equipment, so maybe a lot later, but we have upfront Managers who have told us what is going on, on a regular basis

Our managers have been brilliant too, with regular updates.

I've always been shocked that Colchester was going anywhere, even more so being MCS as that isn't a simple re control job.

We had our latest list the other week which lists 7-8 panels coming up over the next 4-5 years, a couple have been defered to the next CP. although most of ours are funded by the thameslink project, which will happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yabbadabba

Just to back up what carriagline was saying. Our migtration plan which is basically Thameslink project driven.

Taken from an internal email to the staff.

Plumpton conversion to MCB-OD to TBASC panel 5
Oct/Nov 2015

Streatham Interlocking - part of Victoria ASC panels 2B and 3
To TBROC May-2016

Redhill Platform 0
Due to start Sept 2015 with commissioning Dec 2017 (16 day blockade)
This is subject to Network Change and confirmation of access delivery. Plan at the moment will be to be on Panel 3 at Three Bridges but this will be subject to panel review and ergonomics reports. Not planned at this stage to migrate to TBROC but not ruled out.

Panel 7 Three Bridges ASC - Horsham Thameslink Depot
Kick off meeting June 2015
Need to agree if there is room to accommodate on current panel or look to migrating to TBROC

Wimbledon/Sutton - Panel 4 at Victoria ASC
To TBROC May-2018
Waiting on delivery of works and possession arrangements.

East Sussex Phase 2, Lewes re-control and resignalling of Newhaven Town and Harbour
To TBROC Expected 2017
Exact dates to be confirmed

West Sussex - Lancing, Arundel,
Chichester, Barnham, Bognor and CP6 Littlehampton
No firm dates known

Littlehaven and Whyteleafe South Crossing Boxes
CP6
No firm dates known

Dorking, Oxted, Reigate
CP7
No firm dates known

Balham interlocking - rest of Panel 2B at Victoria ASC
TBC
No firm dates known

Thameslink Programme - Charing Cross
To TBROC Jan-2016

Thameslink Programme - Cannon Street
To TBROC Aug-2016

Thameslink Programme - Lewisham/Grove Park
To TBROC May-2017

Thameslink Programme - Core North
To TBROC Expected 2017 - exact date TBC

TBASC re control to TBROC
No firm dates known

LAX54

Established Member
Our managers have been brilliant too, with regular updates.

I've always been shocked that Colchester was going anywhere, even more so being MCS as that isn't a simple re control job.

We had our latest list the other week which lists 7-8 panels coming up over the next 4-5 years, a couple have been defered to the next CP. although most of ours are funded by the thameslink project, which will happen.

Agreed ! we had the 'West Wing' extention in 2009 which increased our floor space by about 50% maybe a tad less, if you remove the NX ( :cry: ) there would room for a fair amount of MCS w/stns that could cover almost what they planned for Romford, and ....Colchester is 100% easier to get to from the whole of EA, unlike the inaccesible Romford !:)

Last edited:

Olaf

Perhaps said commuters should seek new employment somewhere within walking distance of their homes instead? That way they are no longer being held to ransom by selfish union dinosaurs nor at the mercy of the equally money-grabbing TOCs who foist inflation-busting fare rises on the travelling public every year. :p After all, if commuters don't have any sympathy - well, that's all that matters isn't it.

Absolutely; then all rail-staff would be on the trash heap.

The railways are there to provide a service, and are funded at Tax-payers expense, but that service is not being delivered while at the same time political activists are holding their paymasters and union members to ransom. Do not expect any sympathy, only an acceleration of initiatives to negate the problem.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
K

You know, you're right. We'll all give in our notice tomorrow.

Good luck getting to work over the next few years while a whole new generation of railway workers get recruited and trained from scratch. You might have a functioning railway again by about 2019 - assuming you can find all of the people you expect to take our jobs over.

But there will be plenty of jobs we can go for, as all those commuters will have to leave THEIR jobs as they can't get to work...

You are welcome to go now any time.
simple chum get a job closer to home, then you won't have to travel by train, of course you could always drive, but then you would have to leave home some 3 hours or more earlier to allow for the DAILY hold ups of hours on end, that no one seems to ever moan about !

Many people already work remotely. The issue is the the suicidal behaviour of people working in the rail industry through failure to deliver even an an acceptable service while continue with abuse their positions.
I think the point of the posts telling people to change jobs was a reaction to the comments about railway staff being told to find another job.

Telling someone to change jobs rather than stand up to protect their T&Cs or prevent further erosion of their relative pay is a pointless one.

No, not really; it is advocating that these individuals engage with reality. There days are numbered, and persistent blackmail will accelerate the disappearance of those jobs.
There have been relatively few strikes over the last decade, and the last strike that affected the whole network was back in BR days. Get your facts right.

The threat of strike does just as much damage. Get your facts right.

Flamingo

Established Member
You are welcome to go now any time.

Not a problem. What do you do? I'll apply for your (or your bosses) job instead, I'm pretty sure I could do it standing on my head in my sleep <D

You are welcome to see if you can pass the assessment to start the training do mine.

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
Believe me, Olaf chap, the effect of a one day strike or a whole series of them would be minuscule compared to the prolonged disruption that'd result if any significant number of staff in the operational grades at a particular location did decide to hand in their notice. There'd be no hope of recruiting replacements in time, let alone training them for months on end, and in many cases the operation's already relying on overtime to cover jobs (the bosses prefer that - it's cheaper). It's in the best interests of both parties to come to a mutually acceptable agreement on pay.

455driver

Veteran Member
That post from Olaf has got to be a wind up surely, if not I think he has been reading the Daily Fail for far too long and needs to venture out onto those dangerous streets (with a mugger or rapist around every corner) and actually have a look what the real world is like!

Of course with his blinkered viewpoint I don't think he will actually understand what he is seeing.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a reminder of the Forum Rules which require contributions to this forum to be respectful, and also we ask that if there are any concerns please use the report button (
report.gif
).

Olaf
- please see PM sent earlier from another moderator, and please ensure care is taken with future postings. Thank you.
The railways are there to provide a service.
I disagree. British Rail was there to provide a service. The privatised Companies are there to make a profit for their share holders.
The railway exists to provide a service (otherwise it wouldn't be subsidised!) however the TOCs themselves are, as you say, required by law to make a profit for shareholders.

So you're both right!

jay3562

Believe me, Olaf chap, the effect of a one day strike or a whole series of them would be minuscule compared to the prolonged disruption that'd result if any significant number of staff in the operational grades at a particular location did decide to hand in their notice. There'd be no hope of recruiting replacements in time, let alone training them for months on end, and in many cases the operation's already relying on overtime to cover jobs (the bosses prefer that - it's cheaper). It's in the best interests of both parties to come to a mutually acceptable agreement on pay.

Indeed I cant speak for your operational location . But at mine if all of the operational staff handed their notice in tomorrow there would be bedlam . our driver and guard instructors who play an instrumental role in the the training of future operational staff . If all of us handed our notice in tomorrow there would be no chance of running anything but a skeleton train plan for the foreseeable future .

carriageline

Established Member
Indeed I cant speak for your operational location . But at mine if all of the operational staff handed their notice in tomorrow there would be bedlam . our driver and guard instructors who play an instrumental role in the the training of future operational staff . If all of us handed our notice in tomorrow there would be no chance of running anything but a skeleton train plan for the foreseeable future .

Likewise. Although the chance of it happening is zilch, if all the staff (around 40 signallers) at my location handed their notice in, you wouldn't have them replaced for 6-7 months, and all of them applicants would be external, which would be a laugh!

LAX54

Established Member
Likewise. Although the chance of it happening is zilch, if all the staff (around 40 signallers) at my location handed their notice in, you wouldn't have them replaced for 6-7 months, and all of them applicants would be external, which would be a laugh!

and here, learning time a minimum 9 months plus the time at school !

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Agreed ! we had the 'West Wing' extention in 2009 which increased our floor space by about 50% maybe a tad less, if you remove the NX ( :cry: ) there would room for a fair amount of MCS w/stns that could cover almost what they planned for Romford, and ....Colchester is 100% easier to get to from the whole of EA, unlike the inaccesible Romford !:)

The plan was for 7 MCS workstations in Colchester, 3 to replace the (then) existing panel plus Harwich and the cross country route to Chippenham Jn, 2 for the whole Clacton branch, 1 for the East Suffolk and 1 for all the broads.

And of course TfL wouldn't pay for a ROC at Colchester...

LAX54

Established Member
The plan was for 7 MCS workstations in Colchester, 3 to replace the (then) existing panel plus Harwich and the cross country route to Chippenham Jn, 2 for the whole Clacton branch, 1 for the East Suffolk and 1 for all the broads.

And of course TfL wouldn't pay for a ROC at Colchester...

and of that we have... Colchester MCS that includes 30% of what the Manningtree/Harwich MCS should have done, and the Clacton MC's (2) that stop short at Thorpe, as they ran short of cash to finish it !
There is now talk of Clacton making an appearance, but not for a year or two, and of course Lowestoft/Yarmouth, maybe in 2018, but that must be iffy, the plan was to use all the points and switch's recovered from Phase 2 of the Colchester remodelling, but that was cancelled ! and of course the ROC now just a distant vista !
We have heard a rumour that Crossrail are now not going into the ROC, how true that is, not got a clue !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.