• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[RO/BG] Buçuresti - Sofia: reservation needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I’m looking at train #1095 from Buçuresti-N (10.55) to Sofia (20.18) in a couple of weeks time.

There is some discrepancy between this season’s printed ERT and the Interrail Rail Planner app (which both say reservation compulsory) and the Interrail website, which says reservation not compulsory. A first stab at the CFR website can’t book a reservation.

It’s a Friday, and it doesn’t seem to be a major holiday… but it is a fairly crucial connection in a longer trip. Is the reservation necessary? Or is the train split at the border, so only a reservation for part of it required?

Thanks for tips!

Attachments

• CA673B46-3090-4100-9FA8-8503D25DB6D8.jpeg
    CA673B46-3090-4100-9FA8-8503D25DB6D8.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 5D25BCC6-CFFB-472A-8E20-48D38706C2A7.png
    5D25BCC6-CFFB-472A-8E20-48D38706C2A7.png
    894.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 075E751E-7216-4434-AF55-797812E23201.png
    075E751E-7216-4434-AF55-797812E23201.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 11
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
It’s only been a through train in the summer for a number of years now, booked a CFR cart to Ruse off-season. Always used to be no reservation for international journies when it was a through train, probably still is and likely to be empty anyway.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
It’s only been a through train in the summer for a number of years now, booked a CFR cart to Ruse off-season. Always used to be no reservation for international journies when it was a through train, probably still is and likely to be empty anyway.

Thanks!

There is also disagreement between different timetables about whether it's a through train or a connection in Ruse. I'm prepared for either. Main disappointment is that it's a looooong journey without a bistro or restaurant car. Will have to stock up on supplies before leaving Bucharest.

deltic

Established Member
I traveled on this train last September when it was on its summer schedule with through carriages to Sofia, Varna and Istanbul. There was only one coach on the train for Sofia and looking at the CFR website suggests the winter train to Ruse is also only one carriage https://mersultrenurilor.infofer.ro/en-GB/Train/1095?Date=08/02/2023 which might influence your decision as to whether to get a reservation.

superalbs

Established Member
Thanks!

There is also disagreement between different timetables about whether it's a through train or a connection in Ruse. I'm prepared for either. Main disappointment is that it's a looooong journey without a bistro or restaurant car. Will have to stock up on supplies before leaving Bucharest.
You'll have plenty of time at Gorna Oryahovitsa to grab something for the remainder.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I traveled on this train last September when it was on its summer schedule with through carriages to Sofia, Varna and Istanbul. There was only one coach on the train for Sofia and looking at the CFR website suggests the winter train to Ruse is also only one carriage https://mersultrenurilor.infofer.ro/en-GB/Train/1095?Date=08/02/2023 which might influence your decision as to whether to get a reservation.

Thanks. Both that page (which I hadn't seen before) and VagonWeb suggest it is a CFR cl. 96 Desiro for the journey to Ruse.

You'll have plenty of time at Gorna Oryahovitsa to grab something for the remainder.

Thanks! And Ruse, which is scheduled to be 35 minutes. I will get to practice ordering coffee in two languages I don't speak...

Alex Mihai

It's a Desiro 2-car DMU. It doesn't have a lot of seats, but this route is usually deserted, maybe only a few people that are going to Giurgiu. There is no direct train to Sofia, the CFR train only goes as far as Ruse during the winter. So you will have to change at Ruse for onward travel to Sofia.
I suggest you buy the CFR tickets from their international portal: https://bileteinternationale.cfrcalatori.ro/en

Attachments

• 1675844292964.png
    1675844292964.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 10

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Thanks @Alex Mihai ... I am on an Interrail Global Pass, so based on this info hopefully won't need to buy anything. Interrailers might be some of the most common end-to-end passengers on this route, anyway.

PS. I clearly should be doing this trip in the summer, but I'm rapidly nearing the limit of validity of last summer's half-price pass, so it's now or never.

Alex Mihai

Thanks @Alex Mihai ... I am on an Interrail Global Pass, so based on this info hopefully won't need to buy anything. Interrailers might be some of the most common end-to-end passengers on this route, anyway.

PS. I clearly should be doing this trip in the summer, but I'm rapidly nearing the limit of validity of last summer's half-price pass, so it's now or never.
For non-local/non-slow trains the seat reservation is compulsory, however there is no other option than buying a whole ticket. I looked a bit on the international portal and there is no option to add special fares (Interrail etc.), so I am not sure how it works.
Nevermind, I looked at the Interrail conditions in Romania and you only need to generate your ticket with Rail Planner (I suppose it is the same as in other countries), so you should be fine.

superalbs

Established Member
Thanks. Both that page (which I hadn't seen before) and VagonWeb suggest it is a CFR cl. 96 Desiro for the journey to Ruse.

Thanks! And Ruse, which is scheduled to be 35 minutes. I will get to practice ordering coffee in two languages I don't speak...
Ruse will be your border check, so maybe not ideal.

rvdborgt

For non-local/non-slow trains the seat reservation is compulsory,
According to the information in the timetable that Romanian and Bulgarian railways send to the European Timetable Centre, reservations for Bucharest-Sofia are not compulsory.

Status
Not open for further replies.