• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling stock stabling outside York

Bayum

Established Member
On my way to London, and heading out of York were a number of trains stabled. Unfortunately, I didn’t get chance to see what they were as I don’t have a window seat.
Which TOCs normally sit their stock down here? Are they usually stabled for longer periods, rather than to free up space in the station platforms?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
EMR used to stable a single 222 there. TPE tends to have a 802 parked out there. LNER used to have IC 225s out there. Don't think NT or XC parks their trains there (GC obviously doesn't), tends to get used by freight operators.

DanNCL

Established Member
Unsure about during the day, overnight though I don’t believe any passenger stock is booked to stable in the sidings south of York station.
Plenty of freight stops in those sidings, both regular and STP workings.

Northern stable various DMUs overnight in the station and LNER stables a 225 set overnight in the station too. TPE stable 185s in the depot just North of the station whilst the 802s go to Doncaster Carr. XC use Crofton primarily, ECS workings have also previously gone to Tyne Yard from York.

dmncf

For many years there were Freightliner Heavy Haul bogie hopper wagons stored in sidings south of York, but I notice these left a few months ago. What's the proper name for these sidings? Holgate Sidings?
I'm impressed that these sidings are electrified; impressed that this was included as part of the scope of the ECML electrification.

zwk500

Veteran Member
For many years there were Freightliner Heavy Haul bogie hopper wagons stored in sidings south of York, but I notice these left a few months ago. What's the proper name for these sidings? Holgate Sidings?
I'm impressed that these sidings are electrified; impressed that this was included as part of the scope of the ECML electrification.
These are indeed Holgate sidings.

dan4291

Whenever I'm driving past I almost always see a test train stabled there, usually 37 plus DBSO or top-and-tail 37s. Holgate sidings are also used in times of disruption to stable stock that has had to terminate at York, normally TPE and Northern or even Lumo on very rare occasions!

Bayum

Established Member
It looked suspiciously like a TPE or Northern livery. Now I know the names of the sidings, I’ll see if I can find it on RTT.

Established Member
It looked suspiciously like a TPE or Northern livery. Now I know the names of the sidings, I’ll see if I can find it on RTT.
If it’s Holgate loop and Holgate Sidings immediately south of the station, no passenger stock is booked to stable there.
As others have mentioned TPE and Northern may have a set there during day at times of disruption rather than blocking a platform, or it is there for a few minutes while they shunt between platforms.

LNER stable 1 set overnight in station, in extreme cases of disruption they may have a set in Holgate Loop, there crews don’t sign Holgate Sidings.

Viper

Whenever I'm driving past I almost always see a test train stabled there, usually 37 plus DBSO or top-and-tail 37s. Holgate sidings are also used in times of disruption to stable stock that has had to terminate at York, normally TPE and Northern or even Lumo on very rare occasions!

Lumo went there earlier this week actually (or last week, can't remember exactly) when there was a fatality north of York.