• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rough ride on ECML in Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Following on from a discussion in October which included :-
I'll put it brutally, not on an HST between York and Doncaster...
and
The worst for me was a south bound GC 180. At Temple Hirst Junction I honestly thought the train had come off the road! It moved so much form side to side and then dipped! PLUS everything was vibrating and my table was very loose!

@ GNERMAn IS it Temple Hirst Jcn that you are talking about? I find that the worst bit of track between Donny and York. BUT as Hydro says it is normally fun! Just hold on and dont go to the toilet or get a cuppa
Its not just the Junction and crossovers at Temple Hirst that have been producing the most violent jolts on the ECML in Yorkshire, but much of the line through Yorkshire appears to have become increasingly distorted (perhaps due to the same mining subsidence that affect most large strucures in the area, roads included) as well as the rough ride over crossovers at Tollerton and Hambleton Junctions.

But look! Our shining knights in (orange) armour, Network Rail, have lept into action to minimise our spills, shakes, falls and unintended intimate contacts with our neighbouring passengers!
They rushed out and imposed an 80mph TSR between Temple Hirst and Balne.
And that's it. That was 2 or 3 months ago. Nothing since.

Does anyone know if there is any remedial work planned to correct the misalignment (which is what it appears to be, to me)?
I've seen NR folk out at Temple Hirst, and seen a frog in the cess recently, I've also asked a couple of drivers, but all they were aware of is the TSR. The quality of the track there really has deteriorated badly over recent years, mainly, but not exclusively on the Crossovers and Junctions.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GNERman

Established Member
It's not just the Junction and crossovers at Temple Hirst that have been producing the most violent jolts on the ECML in Yorkshire, but much of the line through Yorkshire appears to have become increasingly distorted (perhaps due to the same mining subsidence that affect most large strucures in the area, roads included) as well as the rough ride over crossovers at Tollerton and Hambleton Junctions.

But look! Our shining knights in (orange) armour, Network Rail, have lept into action to minimise our spills, shakes, falls and unintended intimate contacts with our neighbouring passengers!

Does anyone know if there is any remedial work planned to correct the misalignment (which is what it appears to be, to me)?
I've seen NR folk out at Temple Hirst, and seen a frog in the cess recently, I've also asked a couple of drivers, but all they were aware of is the TSR. The quality of the track there really has deteriorated badly over recent years, mainly, but not exclusively on the Crossovers and Junctions.

I remember posting that...

Let's hope this is the start of good things to come (for any operator running trains between York and Doncaster...)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So couple this with the TSRs all over the WCML (at least so I'm told from other threads) just what are Network Rail doing to look after two of the most important rail arteries in the UK?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Is that TSR definitely still in place? Last time I travelled down that section of track it certainly felt like 100mph+ the whole way, and we arrived into Doncaster 5 early.

Pumbaa

Established Member
At the start of December, NR finally removed a TSR that had been placed over Wembley South (WCML), (I think it was 50) on a 110, had been in place since August?

It's back...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
TSR are put there for a reason. In some cases it may be difficult to fix, they are hardly blessed with massive gangs of workers anymore are they?

Hydro

Established Member
If it is mining subsidence causing the formation to get a bit lumpy then it's hardly going to be an overnight quick fix. All that can really be done in the meantime is patch it up, which in todays lean business environment needs to be fitted in amongst dozens of other essential tasks all competing for the money pot and manpower.

The important thing is that it may get a bit rough, and they may have to slow the trains down a bit, but it ought to remain within safe tolerances (barring some force majeure like the mines collapsing or a Monty Python foot crashing onto the line accompanied by a large raspberry noise).

I do hope something is being looked at as a longer term measure, because it's a false economy deferring a big job because it can be kept going just that little bit longer. There's only so much gaffa tape and WD40 in the world.

I did wonder about the limit between TH and Balne. I was at Hensall a couple of weeks ago and everything travelling South seemed to be crawling past my observation point. So much so I could tell what colour eyes the passengers had.

I drove past the ECML on the A645 only last week and the south bound trains were still slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.