• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Guide Unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

superalbs

Established Member
Hello all,

I've been trying to use the routeing guide (routeing point calculator) to find permitted routes for a variety of journeys I need to make, but it seems to be unavailable, and instead just shows such rubbish as this in place of where anything useful should be:

{{rp.location.name}}
({{rp.location.groupName}}) {{rp.location.code}}
({{rp.location.groupCode}}) {{rp.eligibleReason}}

Is there any reason why this is so broken, and will it be fixed?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
If it's the routeing point calculator you're referring to then yes it is broken in the manner you state. Probably no reason other than the RDG seem to think they can take a half arsed approach to maintaining it, despite it forming the fundamental basis of ticket route validity.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
If it's the routeing point calculator you're referring to then yes it is broken in the manner you state. Probably no reason other than the RDG seem to think they can take a half arsed approach to maintaining it, despite it forming the fundamental basis of ticket route validity.
Correct, although the calculator simply eases the job of comparing NFM64 fares manually, a task that takes 10 seconds per fare search on a powerful computer and which doesn't work on a mobile device (the NFM64 fares being a single 2.5GB unindexed file).

I suppose the one thing it does that a manual search doesn't, is to provide clarity as to what to do when a comparison of the same fare type and route isn't possible.

JB_B

Established Member
I think rp_calc has been down for over a week - it's showing garbage because the page is crashing on load. That's because the request for angular.min.js fails (I'm sure this has happened on a number of occasions before.)

I guess that it might be possible to fix this locally if you could use something like mitmproxy to redirect that request to a more reliable or local source.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes it's currently broken.

However if you make your request (in a new thread) we can still answer it, as we can use a different source to check if the associated Routeing Points are appropriate.

kieron

Established Member
Correct, although the calculator simply eases the job of comparing NFM64 fares manually, a task that takes 10 seconds per fare search on a powerful computer and which doesn't work on a mobile device (the NFM64 fares being a single 2.5GB unindexed file).
It does a lot more than that, as there's a "what to do with stations which didn't exist in 1996" file which RDG haven't seen fit to publish.

And, 10 seconds? Is there a specific program which takes that long?

Status
Not open for further replies.