• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routemasters return!

Status
Not open for further replies.

P156KWJ

Established Member
Routemasters have made a return to Nottingham, complete with the destination blinds correct for normal operation on service 20 operated by Bellamy's coaches from Upper Parliament Street to Arnold.

Evening post story: http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/d...683&folderPk=107051&pNodeId=229215&bustcache=

There seem to be mixed reactions. Most are very happy to see their return, but many are saying "how many bus routes does Arnold need??". This is probably to be partially justified, as Arnold town centre is packed, but bus routes are very important. Not quite sure of where exactly they terminate, but if they run through to Killisick I can see why people say that. Even though I live in Nottingham, Arnold is one of the places I know least about!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Interesting news, how many RMs do they have & need for the service? Can see a day in Nottingham to scratch in my last trams and do the Routemasters coming up! Not that I'm a bus veg.... ;)

Tom B

Established Member
Lucky you, you have competition... still, when I'm up here, I have Lothian.

experts

Good to see somebody else using the Trusty "RM". Glasgow Corporation Transport occasionally use one on their 3 Ferries Coastal Service between Ardrossan Harbour Ferry Terminal - Largs - Weymess Bay.. mainly open top buses though! Good run and good value!

P156KWJ

Established Member
Interesting news, how many RMs do they have & need for the service? Can see a day in Nottingham to scratch in my last trams and do the Routemasters coming up! Not that I'm a bus veg.... ;)

not quite sure - I never use it, but I can see me doing so soon. Think there's aat least three. I last saw one this afternoon.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I just hope nobody who is any taller than about 1.6m wants any sort of legroom when they sit down.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Its great to see them back, but isn't it a bit of a step backwards? Government legislation means that over the next few years, all buses will have to be low floor anyway (to prevent disability discrimination and suchlike). My local bus company (EYMS) are investing in 30 new low floor buses this year, largely because of this. Many of the older (and fairly grotty) buses are being withdrawn.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
There have already been complaints about the Routemasters, apparently they sound like tanks and can be heard at least quarter of a mile away

Tom B

Established Member
DDA for buses comes into force in 2017. Companies such as First are way behind - most of their fleet is standard floor.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
First in Somerset have been converting some of their vehicles to low floor. Not exactly sure how, as I don't live that way so have never seen one!

mbonwick

Established Member
Stagecoach are investing record amounts of money on low-floor buses. 76% of profit this year is going to be invested.

I can get a breakdown of the new purchases if you want.

P156KWJ

Established Member
Stagecoach are investing record amounts of money on low-floor buses. 76% of profit this year is going to be invested.

I can get a breakdown of the new purchases if you want.

I think NCT has about 95% low floor accross the fleet - well ahead of the government target of 50% by 2010! The only non-low floor buses now are Dennis Arrows, and the only ones that don't convey wheelchairs are some Optare Solos, Optare Excels, Dennis Tridents and arrows.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think NCT has about 95% low floor accross the fleet - well ahead of the government target of 50% by 2010! The only non-low floor buses now are Dennis Arrows, and the only ones that don't convey wheelchairs are some Optare Solos, Optare Excels, Dennis Tridents and arrows.

EYMS converted all their Optare Excels for wheelchair operation. I believe about 50% of the fleet is now low floor.

Tom B

Established Member
Lothian are on course for a 95% low floor fleet later this year, when only a handful will remain on tertiary routes and as peak extras. There, they refer to 1999 W reg buses as "old scrap" - whereas in the rest of the country they are brought in by the likes of First as "brand new buses for Doncaster".

Status
Not open for further replies.