• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Society and British Academy recommend masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas43

Venki Ramakrishnan said: “The virus has not been eliminated, so as we lift lockdown and people increasingly interact with each other we need to use every tool we have to reduce the risk of a second wave of infection. There are no silver bullets but alongside hand washing and physical distancing, we also need everyone to start wearing face coverings, particularly indoors in enclosed public spaces where physical distancing is often not possible.

“The UK is way behind many countries in terms of wearing masks and clear policies and guidelines about mask wearing for the public. The public have taken to handwashing and distancing but remain sceptical about face coverings. You only need to go on public transport, where they are supposed to be mandatory, to see how many people are ignoring this new rule based on the growing body of evidence that wearing a mask will help protect others – and might even protect you.

My take is that there are no controlled trials, but wearing a mask indoors is likely to reduce the risk that symptomless carriers will infect others.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
If that was a wikipedia article, it would have "Citation Needed" plastered all over it.

Nicholas43

If that was a wikipedia article, it would have "Citation Needed" plastered all over it.
The accompanying 'rapid review' Face masks and coverings for the general public does list about 100 references to more or less scientific papers.

MikeWM

Established Member
As I've just pointed out in another thread, the conclusions are not remotely supported by the remarkably weak evidence. They admit that themselves in their own paper!

https://royalsociety.org/-/media/po...a=en-GB&hash=A22A87CB28F7D6AD9BD93BBCBFC2BB24
Topic : Effectiveness of cloth face coverings

Limitations : No RCTs were able to be included, with estimates come from observational research designs only. Studies all in a healthcare setting in one country. Examined SARS and H1N1 and not COVID-19 setting. Small number of studies.

Level quality of evidence : Moderate-quality (to translate to public setting). No broader community settings (e.g., transport, shops).

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
My take is that there are no controlled trials, but wearing a mask indoors is likely to reduce the risk that symptomless carriers will infect others.

I suspect it does make a small difference. But is it worth it, once you factor in all of the problems caused? Whether that be the risk of any groups which are exempt being abused by vigilantes (verbally or worse), the large increase in littering and pollution caused, the fact it will make going out of the house deeply unpleasant, or even the social impacts of not being able to see anyone else's face. I'm afraid that mandating masks everywhere is a non starter in my book, not least because there's no clear end goal - would we be stuck in masks forever?

westv

Established Member
More of the same.
I've seen numerous items where people get their names in the news by trying to tell me the same thing about coverings.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I find the following paragraph, the final one of the report, to be wholly unacceptable for a professional paper. Facetious sarcasm seems like the best description. This really should have been removed pre-publication.

We note there have also been no clinical trials of handwashing, coughing into your elbow, social distancing and quarantine, yet these measures have been widely adopted and are considered as effective.

You might think it a throwaway comment easily ignored, but I have recently seen it repeated in a news article.

Handwashing - surely widely accepted since the days of typhoid and Dr Snow. There is a reason medical staff wash etc so thoroughly before surgery, they don't do it as a random precautionary action!
Coughing into your elbow - seems pretty ineffective to me. Many droplets will escape or hang around on your sleeve until garment washed. Better than coughing (or sneezing) into the open air though.
Social distancing - pretty obvious - if you aren't in the vicinity, you won't get the opportunity to catch it.
Quarantine - no research into it's effectiveness, really? I find that hard to believe.

The first two can be done at minimal extra effort and cost. Masks aren't significantly expensive but would be a burden on the poorest, especially with freuquent replacement. As would buying bottles of sanitiser to carry at all times - and use frequently ie every mask up and down times.
Social distancing can be done with minimal effort and costs nothing (assuming you don't get run over jumping into the road) but has impact where it becomes 'stay at home' which is effectively population wide quarantine.
Quarantine takes serious effort and costs significantly - hence the furlough and business support schemes. Plus the social cost of 'shielding' isolation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.