• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

squizzler

Established Member
In retrospect, they should have got it out played with it a bit more frequently summer just gone. It would have been good for public morale for the royals to be seen about the country and also easier to path when the network was a little less busy. The traffic on the railway network is likely to be back to normal by the time more pleasant weather returns in the Spring.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Asides from the special timings, does the Royal Train operate at 100mph normally or does it run slower - say 80 or 90mph?

Richard P

On catch up on Channel 5 there is a documentary on the Royal Train that refers to a number of the points raised above (excluding the toilet functionality!). I was disappointed with it overall but there was some interesting content. On the same theme there was an image on Twitter last night showing the Duke and Duchess sat on Batley station awaiting arrival of the Royal Train on their current tour of England/Scotland/Wales!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we please keep the discussion to matters concerning the Royal Train please.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread in the relevant forum section.

Thanks

Tallguy

Does the Royal Train have a shower in any of the carriages? If it’s being used as sleeping quarters for the royals.....

Darandio

Established Member
Does the Royal Train have a shower in any of the carriages? If it’s being used as sleeping quarters for the royals.....

Not entirely sure about the modern layout but older carriages certainly had a bath!

Spartacus

Established Member
I believe different carriages have different washing facilities, depending on the preference of the normal occupant.

The 'Special Train' is a very efficient set up when it's used for long or overnight trips, self contained hotel with security measures, secure communications etc already set up; there's no need to book up one (or more) hotels with full top to bottom inspections or having to cart about everything from clothes to communications in and out. It's a lot easier and securer to inspect the relevant stations.

mailbyrail

I seem to remember a few years ago (5 or 6??) there was a suggestion that companies and the government could use the train for high profile trade and PR visits to offset some of the costs of maintaining it.
The idea seemed like a non-starter at the time, but did anything ever come of it?

Spartacus

Established Member
I seem to remember a few years ago (5 or 6??) there was a suggestion that companies and the government could use the train for high profile trade and PR visits to offset some of the costs of maintaining it.
The idea seemed like a non-starter at the time, but did anything ever come of it?

No, probably because the cost of the extra security checks, as well as increased maintenance with extra running would almost certainly have outweighed any benefits. The train as a whole isn't really suitable either, perhaps just a few carriages at best, which it'd be cheaper to convert existing Mk3s. That nobody has probably shows there's no demand for such a train either.

Trackman

Established Member
Not entirely sure about the modern layout but older carriages certainly had a bath!
This is what the press said about the recent trip, the bath with a red fill mark. It’s donkeys old and the carriage is in the NRM!
Oddly enough King George VI had a shower ripped out and a bath put in its place.

Helvellyn

Established Member
I believe different carriages have different washing facilities, depending on the preference of the normal occupant.

The 'Special Train' is a very efficient set up when it's used for long or overnight trips, self contained hotel with security measures, secure communications etc already set up; there's no need to book up one (or more) hotels with full top to bottom inspections or having to cart about everything from clothes to communications in and out. It's a lot easier and securer to inspect the relevant stations.
Exactly. The press then like to quote it costs on average X thousand per trip and the royal passenger could have bought an Advance ticket for £20 - ignoring the security aspects and other costs that would be incurred for accommodation, etc. It's one of my gripes in this country - we at times like to know the cost of everything but ignore the value.

Interesting that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were given permission to use it though - use for many years has been restricted to HM The Queen, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh (before his retirement), HRH The Prince of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Politicians I believe can use the royal train when there is a need..iirc it was used for ferrying g8 ministers around at some point.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Politicians I believe can use the royal train when there is a need..iirc it was used for ferrying g8 ministers around at some point.

1998 was the only time that it has being used for non-royals ( I believe) , Cherie Blair took the wives / partners of some the G8 leaders including a certain Hilary Clinton on a day trip from Birmingham to Checkers and back.

Richard P

My understanding is the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall are the only members of the Royal Family to have "open access" to the train, anyone else is strictly at the behest of the Queen

My understanding is the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall are the only members of the Royal Family to have "open access" to the train, anyone else is strictly at the behest of the Queen

Correct. The “anyone else” doesn’t have to be Royalty - but there would be very limited reasons for politicians etc using it.

The Royal Train comes into its own on multi location tours over several consecutive days. It’s as valuable if not more as a hotel/accommodation than as a mode of transport.

2L70

On Moderation
And yet when royals travel on normal trains any old driver will be at the controls. Not quite sure how they justify the selection of "trusted" drivers. Sounds a bit vague to me. Mates of the driver management more likely.

I would expect all the sleeping vehicles at least to have CET, as at least 2915 and 2922 were built either with or after the Mark 3 sleeper build. You'd need to see decent photos of the others to tell, as it's not the sort of gen you'd see an announcement about.

In other words, those management can trust rather than the awkward squad that will exist at every company. Not exactly surprising, and probably how it should be.
Just imaging this conversation being in a Traincrew Mess Room.

Llama

Established Member
It sometimes helps if you're on the LDC (Local Departmental Committee - staff-side union reps). And sometimes doesn't! ;)

And if they did so it would be their last trip on the royal train. Do they still always have a Traction Inspector (or present-day equivalent) present?
Good luck trying to find an LDC rep who actually drives trains these days!

Class 170101

Established Member

Surely that would have been with Prince Andrew in attendance when he did Trade Stuff for the UK?

6Gman

Established Member
Good luck trying to find an LDC rep who actually drives trains these days!
I believe the highest-profile Royal Train of the last 30 years was driven by an LDC Rep, but your general point is a good one.

TeamRed

It sometimes helps if you're on the LDC (Local Departmental Committee - staff-side union reps). And sometimes doesn't! ;)

And if they did so it would be their last trip on the royal train. Do they still always have a Traction Inspector (or present-day equivalent) present?
Hi
When I drove the Royal Train years ago there was a senior traction inspector, bodyguard and senior technician travelling in the cab with me

dk1

Veteran Member
Hi
When I drove the Royal Train years ago there was a senior traction inspector, bodyguard and senior technician travelling in the cab with me
Couldn't get away with that in this Covid climate. Would have to all be in a 'work bubble'.

Status
Not open for further replies.