• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

Herefordian

Well, an excellent weekend to be a Six Nations fan if your home country has "-land" in its name!

That single-handed pass by Russell to Steyn was a thing of beauty. Welsh fans at Murrayfield now know how Scottish fans at Cardiff have felt for years!:lol:

Yes, I thought England played well last weekend. Small steps forward.

Italy have been better this year too. Nice to see.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Herefordian

Two fantastic games of rugby today.

Italy excellent against arguably the world's best national side. England very good again. Another step forward.

Really enjoying this year's Six Nations.

59CosG95

Established Member
Two fantastic games of rugby today.

Italy excellent against arguably the world's best national side. England very good again. Another step forward.

Really enjoying this year's Six Nations.
A France side at home, spoiling for a win after defeat to Ireland vs a Scotland side on the best form I've seen them in years. Should be a fantastic game tomorrow!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I was told yesterday that the Irish singer Enya is to take over Worcester Warriors.

She apparently lives in the area, and has contacted the RFU to see if it's possible. The RFU aren't against the idea, and have said that if it happens, they'll have to play in National League One. They've gone so far as to look at the fixtures for the season, and their first three matches will be:

Sale (Away)

Sale (Away)

Sale (Away) .... !

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I was told yesterday that the Irish singer Enya is to take over Worcester Warriors.

She apparently lives in the area, and has contacted the RFU to see if it's possible. The RFU aren't against the idea, and have said that if it happens, they'll have to play in National League One. They've gone so far as to look at the fixtures for the season, and their first three matches will be:

Sale (Away)

Sale (Away)

Sale (Away) .... !
I must congratulate you on knowing the songs of Enya....:)

If Enya had a cleaner from Venezuela, would she be Orinoco Flo?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I must congratulate you on knowing the songs of Enya....:)

If Enya had a cleaner from Venezuela, would she be Orinoco Flo?
I can't claim encyclopedic knowledge of her songs, but that one is one that occurs from time to time, especially when discussing Sharks fixtures. I also remember the other song, although I don't have a clue what it's all about; it sounds good, though!

Herefordian

A France side at home, spoiling for a win after defeat to Ireland vs a Scotland side on the best form I've seen them in years. Should be a fantastic game tomorrow!

Can't say I was disappointed! What a game.

Gael Fickou best player on the park, for me. Sublime try at the end.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gallagher English Premiership

Sale Sharks 35 ... Saracens 24

Sale went into this televised "top two" match on a run of four defeats in different competitions and home advantage did not mean all that much, with Saracens only having lost twice in the league. The early stages were used well by Saracens who built up an early lead but Sale did respond but Saracens still led 19-14 at half time. The second half saw both sides score early tries but eventually Sale went into the lead 28-24. It was then Saracens' Robit Hislop received a red card for a high tackle on a Sale player at a time when Saracens were pressing and Sale took advantage of playing against 14 men and applied pressure of their own, that led to a converted try that took them eleven points clear. Sale won the try count 5-3.

JamesT

Established Member

Sale Sharks 35 ... Saracens 24

Sale went into this televised "top two" match on a run of four defeats in different competitions and home advantage did not mean all that much, with Saracens only having lost twice in the league. The early stages were used well by Saracens who built up an early lead but Sale did respond but Saracens still led 19-14 at half time. The second half saw both sides score early tries but eventually Sale went into the lead 28-24. It was then Saracens' Robit Hislop received a red card for a high tackle on a Sale player at a time when Saracens were pressing and Sale took advantage of playing against 14 men and applied pressure of their own, that led to a converted try that took them eleven points clear. Sale won the try count 5-3.
Sarries were architects of their own downfall through ill discipline. Sale’s two tries in the first half came in a period when Alex Goode was in the sin bin for taking out a man off the ball. Towards the end they were also applying pressure but had penalties reversed through huddling before a line out and dissent.

With the red card, to me it looked like the Sale player was leading with his forearm, which I would have expected to have counted as mitigation if nothing else. https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1632419894993072129 has a video of the incident. The most egregious bit of refereeing was for Sale’s second try which the TMO seemed to quickly decide wasn’t forward. https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1632407366581866496 for those that want to make their own mind up.

Herefordian

That was atrocious. Embarrassing.

France deserved winners. They were glorious. A joy to watch.

That's about it really!

Swanley 59

In over forty years of watching rugby, I don't think I've ever seen an English so overpowered as they were today; they were utterly blown away at the breakdown.

The sad thing is that when I saw the team announcement I thought that, apart from possibly Slade, that was the best team that England could field. I don't know where they can go from here. Ireland in Dublin could be brutal.

France were magnificent.

THC

Ireland superb today despite losing five players to injury during the match. Hard to see England getting anywhere near us next weekend but stranger things have happened. :E

THC

Butts

Veteran Member
Ireland superb today despite losing five players to injury during the match. Hard to see England getting anywhere near us next weekend but stranger things have happened. :E

THC

Indeed, another false dawn for Scotland cruelly exposed and shattered.

Herefordian

Indeed, another false dawn for Scotland cruelly exposed and shattered.

I was rooting for Scotland today. I'm disappointed myself.

Ireland have the Grand Slam, I think it's safe to say.

England have no chance next week.

My granddaughter was amused by the "Shooo" whenever Pierre Schoeman had the ball, though. :)

Red Onion

The first half was an incredible fight between the two sides. Both sides attacked and defended equally well.

The second half…the Irish showed exactly why they are the world top side, they just pulled apart our lads who looked almost lost at times.

Despite the loss, it was a good game to watch and a score reflective of the performances.

SteveM70

Established Member
Interesting today that the Scots twice got marched back ten yards for dissent, but yesterday Farrell came on and tried to ref the match himself like he always does and the ref didn’t penalise him.

Herefordian

Interesting today that the Scots twice got marched back ten yards for dissent, but yesterday Farrell came on and tried to ref the match himself like he always does and the ref didn’t penalise him.

It wasn't just me who noticed it then!

I think Sexton is just as bad with his constant pestering of officials.

Anyone else who gets in the referee's face like he does is marched away.

SteveM70

Established Member

Maybe its a fly half thing, as Dan Biggar has form for this as well.

JamesT

Established Member

I wonder if part of the different treatment of Sexton and Farrell is that they're captains and are thus entitled (within limits) to talk to the referee?

Herefordian

I wonder if part of the different treatment of Sexton and Farrell is that they're captains and are thus entitled (within limits) to talk to the referee?

Yes, that is correct. Captains talk to the referee. As it should be.

It's the way Sexton does it that bothers me. Telling officials how to do their job.

Being captain and a good player doesn't give him that right.

SteveM70

Established Member
Yes, that is correct. Captains talk to the referee. As it should be.

It's the way Sexton does it that bothers me. Telling officials how to do their job.

Being captain and a good player doesn't give him that right.

Farrell is the same. They ask a question, get an answer, and then keep talking. Farrell is also brilliant at a facial expression that says "you've got that wrong ref"

THC

Ireland u20s have just beaten their English counterparts 36-24 at Musgrave Park in Cork city to win back-to-back Grand Slams to go with that won by our seniors yesterday. The future's bright whatever happens in the World Cup later this year - who knows, we may even get past the QFs for the first time! :E

THC

Butts

Veteran Member
Ireland u20s have just beaten their English counterparts 36-24 at Musgrave Park in Cork city to win back-to-back Grand Slams to go with that won by our seniors yesterday. The future's bright whatever happens in the World Cup later this year - who knows, we may even get past the QFs for the first time! :E

THC

A Golden Era for Irish Rugby seems to have arrived, congratulations on The Grand Slam.

Scotland finished 3rd after beating Italy - good for us.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Sale Sharks 54 .. Newcastle Falcons 12

Sale hosted their final league game of the season by overwhelming bottom-place Newcastle. The score was 21-7 at half time and Sale won the try count 8-2.
This win confirmed second league place for Sale and they will be in the play-off semi finals.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gallagher English Premiership...Play-off Semi Finals

Saracens 38 ... Northampton Saints 15

Sale Sharks 21 ... Leicester Tigers 13

It will be the teams that finished in the top two league places that will now meet in the final.

Womens Allianz Premier 15s

Wasps Women 7 ... Sale Sharks Women 88

It has been a poor season for both teams, more so Wasps who have lost every match they have played this season, but even so, I was somewhat taken aback by this scoreline today.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Well well well

Owen Farrell gets sent off and the only question for the disciplinary panel is how many games he’ll miss at the world cup

Then somehow some made-up mitigation is dreamed up to let him off

Zero attempt to wrap his arms, shoulder to the head. As red as a red card can be in the current environment

World Rugby have put their sacred World Cup ahead of player welfare

richw

Veteran Member
Well well well

Owen Farrell gets sent off and the only question for the disciplinary panel is how many games he’ll miss at the world cup

Zero attempt to wrap his arms, shoulder to the head. As red as a red card can be in the current environment

Disagree.

There were camera angles which was critical to Owen’s defence. As a referee myself from those camera angles it didn’t meet the threshold for a red card.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Well well well

I think your judgement on World Rugby mentioned above was somewhat factually incorrect, as World Rugby have successfully appealed against the decision to overturn the red card.

Farrell will now serve a four-match ban that will cover two warm-up games then two of the World Cup pool matches.

SteveM70

Established Member
I think your judgement on World Rugby mentioned above was somewhat factually incorrect, as World Rugby have successfully appealed against the decision to overturn the red card.

Farrell will now serve a four-match ban that will cover two warm-up games then two of the World Cup pool matches.

Yes, maybe I was a bit harsh.

But the length of the ban is a joke. No reason why it shouldn’t be 6 games, given his repeat previous offences