• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Runaway train at Landen, Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesireToFire

Apologies if this has already been posted.

From bbc news;

An empty train travelled along tracks in Belgium for 30 minutes without a driver after the man left his cabin to investigate an engine fault.

The train moved off from the platform at Landen, east of Brussels, and continued for another 12km (7.5 miles) before another driver jumped on board.

Although the train was moving slowly, services on the line were halted.

Officials cleared the next station of passengers and the train was brought under control.

"The train was going very slowly, the platform was clear and the station at Tienen (Tirlemont in French) had been evacuated, so no passengers were ever put in danger," said Belgian rail operator SNCB (NMBS in Dutch).

The drama unfolded at around 21:00 (20:00 GMT) on Thursday...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
As someone who has been travelling to Belgium since 1985 but less so recently- is there still the Walloon v Flemish lack of cooperation in most things? Wasn't there a serious rail accident 10 or so years ago on SNCB where a signaller 'pretending' not to understand the other language was a factor? In fact what is the 'official' Railway language of SNCB?

Established Member
As someone who has been travelling to Belgium since 1985 but less so recently- is there still the Walloon v Flemish lack of cooperation in most things? Wasn't there a serious rail accident 10 or so years ago on SNCB where a signaller 'pretending' not to understand the other language was a factor? In fact what is the 'official' Railway language of SNCB?

Indeed, the Pécrot crash where two signallers couldn't (wouldn't?) speak each others' language, when trying to stop a train which had passed a signal at danger: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pécrot_rail_crash

In terms of the 'official' language, the answer is both French and Dutch. Station signage and announcements are only displayed in the local language (both for Brussels and a few other bi-lingual places), and on-train staff are supposed to be able to speak both languages as far as I know. Whether lessons have been learned from the above crash and signallers now also have to be bi-lingual, I don't know!

Interestingly, a few years ago a tourist came up to me at Leuven station and asked me why he couldn't see any trains going to Liège - I had to explain to him that as Leuven is Dutch-speaking, he instead needed to be looking for 'Luik'!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.