• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Salisbury to Shrewsbury via Newport the HoWales to Swansea over 2 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diplodicus

I would like to travel from Salisbury to Shrewsbury on the 10th or 11th May and stay there overnight. The next day travel to Llanwrtyd Wells on theHeart of Wales Line and stay two nights. Then travel on to either Swansea or Llanelli which ever is direct. Any advice on the best way to accomplish this very welcome indeed with many thanks. I'm a Senior Railcard holder.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would like to travel from Salisbury to Shrewsbury on the 10th or 11th May and stay there overnight. The next day travel to Llanwrtyd Wells on theHeart of Wales Line and stay two nights. Then travel on to either Swansea or Llanelli which ever is direct. Any advice on the best way to accomplish this very welcome indeed with many thanks. I'm a Senior Railcard holder.
Are you doing any onward travel from Swansea or Llanelli within a month of the 10th?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, returning to Salisbury after the weekend.
Ok, if you are happy to stick to Advances then buying a separate Advance for each day's travel would work out at a total of £50.45:

£20.75 Salisbury to Shrewsbury
£7.55 Shrewsbury to Llanwrtyd
£6.25 Llanwrtyd to Swansea
£15.90 Swansea to Salisbury (splitting at and changing at Newport - £5.65 + £10.25)

These are currently available to buy on virtually any train during the week in question.

Doing it all on a walkup ticket would be a little more expensive, particularly because of the fact that you're 'doubling back' between Craven Arms and Shrewsbury on separate days (for which there is no period return ticket, or Advances).

Hence my best suggestion would be a total of £63.45:

£49.65 Andover to Knucklas Anytime Return, route via Salisbury
£6.90 Craven Arms to Shrewsbury Anytime Day Single
£6.90 Shrewsbury to Craven Arms Anytime Day Single

Your train up to Shrewsbury would need to call at Craven Arms for this to be valid. Almost all trains do, but there are a handful that don't. Otherwise you would need to buy a ticket from the next station south (Ludlow or in the case of the 'WAG Express', Hereford) that your train calls at. All HoW trains stop at Craven Arms.

The first ticket, being an Anytime Return, is valid for unlimited break of journey en-route. The outward portion is valid for 5 days and the return for a month, which is plenty for your intended journey. It is valid both via Craven Arms as well as via Swansea. You would be switching from the outward to the return portion when the HoW train calls at Knucklas.

If you wanted to travel up to Shrewsbury via a different route (e.g. Salisbury-Basingstoke-Wolverhampton-Shrewsbury, or Salisbury-Basingstoke-Reading-Newport-Shrewsbury, or via London) then there would be other tickets which would be more appropriate for your journey.

Gloster

Established Member
The very first Priv. I used back in late 1978 was a return from Salisbury to Llangammarch Wells. I actually did the round trip in a day: Llangammarch Wells was chosen because it was halfway along the HoW, then called the Central Wales Line, and I could go out via Swansea and continue without stopping to return via Craven Arms. Happy days.

Traintripper

As a slightly different option, how about getting a return or a couple of advances from Salisbury to Newport and then taking advantage of a Explore South Wales rover ticket. 4 days in 8 travel for £44.45 with a railcard. This would give you virtually unlimited travel in a triangle from Shrewsbury, Gloucester and all the way to Pembrokeshire including the Heart of Wales line.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The very first Priv. I used back in late 1978 was a return from Salisbury to Llangammarch Wells. I actually did the round trip in a day: Llangammarch Wells was chosen because it was halfway along the HoW, then called the Central Wales Line, and I could go out via Swansea and continue without stopping to return via Craven Arms. Happy days.

With a quality class 120 unit one assumes - orange curtains , comfy seating , excellent heating .....(nostalgic memories all right)

Status
Not open for further replies.