• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Santa trains - any recommendations in the midlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

M7R

It’s that time of year again….(a bit late if honest)… I thought I would ask the hive mind for recommendations as the wife is losing her mind trying to pick one. (I asked for recommendations for camping earlier in the year and had some good recommendations)

Our little boy is just 14 months old but already been on:

Keighley,
Battlefield,
Great central,
Didcot railway centre,
Ecclesbourne,
Buckinghamshire railway centre,
Churnet valley,
Acton depot open day and heritage stock charter,
East lancs,
Barrow round house,
Bodmin,
Llangollen,

He’s been busy and absolutely loves trains,

Anyone got any recommendations for a good Santa Train experience within 2 hours or so of Leicester?

I was thinking maybe Peak Rail, I went there a fair few years ago one summer day and seem to recall it was alright.. but never done their Santa offering, anywhere else worth looking at?

Thanks all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GWVillager

It’s not exactly on the doorstep of Leicester, but the Severn Valley Railway is always a great place for events. I’ve never actually seen the Santa trains there myself, but I’ve heard good things.

Harvester

Established Member
I was thinking maybe Peak Rail, I went there a fair few years ago one summer day and seem to recall it was alright.. but never done their Santa offering, anywhere else worth looking at?
There is also the EVR at Wirksworth which is within a two hour drive. They are advertising Santa Specials each weekend in December on the run up to Christmas.

12C

Probably just over 2 hours away but I can vouch for Keighley, we went with our kids last year and it was excellent. The staff/volunteers were great and made a real fuss over the little ones. I’d recommend booking late afternoon/evening if you can as seeing all the stations lit up with gas lamps added to the magic.

For a very young child I’d say a traditional Santa train would be better than Polar Express. We’ve done both and the Polar Express is more geared towards older kids, with the main premise of the story being doubts whether Santa is real. Although the acting is usually very good the story will go over the head of toddlers who just want to see Santa and his elves!

mjc

Some great options across in Staffordshire, probably within your 2 hour time limit. Foxfield is just of the A50 and we went last year; it’s a short line but the station is nicely decorated, a small museum and shop to look around while you wait and a decent Santa experience and present. Churnet Valley is great, a longer ride, more entertainment but it’s ‘official’ Polar Express so very pricey and the gift is just a silver bell, lovely for the story but more a nice touch for adults rather than the kids, I’d save it til little one is a bit older. And on smaller scale is Amerton Railway, narrow gauge just outside Stafford, shares a site with Amerton Farm with garden centre and play barn which I’m sure your little one will enjoy too. It’s a short ride but great value, really friendly and helpful volunteers and a decent present and chat with Santa.
If you head this way and want any tips for other things to do while you’re in the area let me know.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The GCR is taking on line bookings now via the website. Although you know the line, the Santa Specials do give a different experience.

IanM

Statfold Barn, just outside Tamworth, might work for you.
My top tip would be to book a slot just as it gets dark if you can. It's even more magical once everything is lit up.

Last edited:

merry

Statfold Barn, just outside Tamworth, might work for you.
My top tip would be to book a slot just as ot gets dark if you can. It's even more magical once everything is lit up.
Yes, many heritage stations are lovely as it gets dark. I can certainly say I find Loughborough has an authentic and inviting atmosphere at night, and would be great on the Santas at that time. There are more teatime/early evening services in some GCR Santa timetables this year, particularly the weekdays, so perhaps worth a try (targetting some after school/work custom no doubt). Other heritage railways in the area might also have similar atmosphere in the evening, I don't know them so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.